ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 12
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Taking a pay cut to get out of a job you hate
bdj23 10:50 AM 01-22-2022
Without getting too detailed about my personal life....

I'm burnt out

Has anyone on CP ever had to do this? Did it work out for you? Is not having the extra money worth being happy? Is making alright money worth feeling like you have sold your soul?

Any input or advice is appreciated.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 04:02 PM 01-22-2022
Originally Posted by Pablo:
Drink a dozen light beers and eat like 6 ears of corn the night before you decide to do it. Throw a head of raw broccoli in there for good measure.
and some cashews with as little chewing as possible...
[Reply]
Jenson71 04:26 PM 01-22-2022
Originally Posted by Coach:
But the biggest question you have to ask yourself is, is your current job right now really more important than your relationship to your wife, and more importantly, to yourself/your well-being? Especially if you got passed over/demoted for some BS?
And BDj23, anyone whose opinion is worth valuing will say, "Good for you," when you tell them what you did and why you did it.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:42 PM 01-22-2022
Originally Posted by BDj23:

I'm burnt out

Has anyone on CP ever had to do this? Did it work out for you? Is not having the extra money worth being happy? Is making alright money worth feeling like you have sold your soul?

Any input or advice is appreciated.
I worked a ton of shitty jobs. Mean ass and or stupid bosses. Very unhappy. I developed a plan to chose where I worked so I’d never be in that situation again.

To your question, I stuck it out to reach the end goal of never being in that situation again. Don’t focus on the short term. Plan with your wife to get out that situation but still provide for the family and be a happier person at home.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 04:57 PM 01-22-2022
:-)

Not yet
Have you tried fucking his dad yet? Can't think of a bigger I own you card.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 05:10 PM 01-22-2022
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Have you tried fucking his dad yet? Can't think of a bigger I own you card.
Lmao nice
[Reply]
rico 05:23 PM 01-22-2022
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Worked at a job for 14 years where I absolutely hated half of the people I worked with. Got to the point where I would sit in the parking garage and have to talk myself in to going in for that day.

Ended up taking a lesser paying job and moving out of state. Around $1000 less a month. Turned out being the best thing for me because I spent 2.5 years there before taking a job working from home making around $1000 more a month then I made at the first job.
My God I hope my life takes this trajectory.

I feel the same way now that you did with the first job. :-)
[Reply]
bdj23 05:38 PM 01-22-2022
Originally Posted by rico:

Welcome to the club man
[Reply]
ChiefGator 06:55 PM 01-22-2022
I took a job paying $25k less than what I was making before... (or a 20% pay cut) since the job was bullocks. Two years later, love my job and I am actually making $40k MORE than I was before.

I am in IT.. not sure what profession you are in... this may not translate to your job.

BUT, even before I started making more money at this job, I knew it was better, was learning more, enjoying life more, feeling less like a criminal since my last boss was sleezy, etc..
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 07:48 PM 01-22-2022
Originally Posted by Shaid:
I've not taken jobs that paid better because I knew it wouldn't be good for my long term mental health. Not quite the same but in that ballpark. Gotta do what is best for you.
Exactly this. I could make more at several other places, but I really like what I do and where I am.

Mental health is critically important.
[Reply]
C3HIEF3S 08:11 PM 01-22-2022
Yes. 100% of the time. Just had to do something similar towards the end of last year.

Sit your wife down and tell her your plan, and get after it brother. I’m an analytical guy, so accounting for the peripherals of relationships, family, friends .etc doesn’t come naturally to me. But holy shit, I left my job that had me working 80 hours / week and frequently on weekends, with no structure whatsoever, and since then I’ve had a complete 180.

Got a new job that paid me an equal base, but lower total compensation. Given all the news headlines of The Great Recession being that people everywhere are leaving and making more than they were elsewhere because of how desperate a lot of companies are right now, I figured I’d be coming out behind compared to everyone else. What I wasn’t considering was the complete lack of always needing to have my work “guard” up, more time to build and maintain relationships with my family and friends, and I would venture to say that I have become a HELL of a lot more tolerable to be around from my loved ones’ point of view. No amount of money could beat that, IMO.
[Reply]
C3HIEF3S 08:12 PM 01-22-2022
And also, it’s cool to take some time to just re-fucking-charge. Being burnt out is debilitating, demoralizing, and just plain fucking sucks!
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:26 PM 01-22-2022
Originally Posted by rico:

Just have to always be on the lookout for better opportunities. I didn’t think I would ever leave the second lesser paying job but I had a job fall into my lap that I couldn’t pass up.
[Reply]
Rausch 09:45 PM 01-22-2022

I'm burnt out

Has anyone on CP ever had to do this? Did it work out for you?
I did it about 6 months ago.

I can't tell you how much happier I am. When I look back I'm disgusted how miserable I was for an extra $350 a month. It wasn't worth it.

I have no doubt it will add years to my life...
[Reply]
keg in kc 10:14 PM 01-22-2022
Life is too short to be miserable. Job, relationship, anything that drags you down should go
[Reply]
ghak99 10:15 PM 01-22-2022
I have good friend who did it awhile back. Two kids at home, a wife who knows how to bitch with he best of them, always on call, worked away from home, and it was all leading to drinking way too much and his blood pressure was ugly. He finally told his boss there were two options, he was turning in his two week notice or he needed one of the regular 8-5 jobs at headquarters. His boss played the major pay cut card and he told him to get the fucking scissors out.

You'd have to go all the way back to high school before you found a time when he was happier or healthier than he is now. Barely drinks, blood pressure is no longer a problem, and they're still doing fine financially.
[Reply]
bdj23 01-22-2022, 10:53 PM
This message has been deleted by bdj23.
Page 5 of 12
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Up