ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 12
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Taking a pay cut to get out of a job you hate
bdj23 10:50 AM 01-22-2022
Without getting too detailed about my personal life....

I'm burnt out

Has anyone on CP ever had to do this? Did it work out for you? Is not having the extra money worth being happy? Is making alright money worth feeling like you have sold your soul?

Any input or advice is appreciated.
[Reply]
bdj23 01:56 PM 01-22-2022
Originally Posted by notorious:
Talk to your current boss to see if there's something they can do to help.

If they don't play ball, there are a ton of jobs to take.

Good luck buddy.
I've already done that. I was told I had to "wait my turn" and there would be opportunities for advancement. It all turned out to be a lie when the opportunity to advance came up.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 01:57 PM 01-22-2022
Originally Posted by BDj23:
I've already done that. I was told I had to "wait my turn" and there would be opportunities for advancement. It all turned out to to be a lie when the opportunity to advance came up.
Have you tried taking a shit on your boss' desk?
[Reply]
bdj23 01:57 PM 01-22-2022
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi:
:-)

Not yet
[Reply]
Pablo 01:58 PM 01-22-2022
:-)

Not yet
Drink a dozen light beers and eat like 6 ears of corn the night before you decide to do it. Throw a head of raw broccoli in there for good measure.
[Reply]
eDave 01:59 PM 01-22-2022
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi:

[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 02:01 PM 01-22-2022
Schlitz gives the runniest poos
[Reply]
carlos3652 02:05 PM 01-22-2022
The market is so hot right now paying way more than what they were paying last year for the same positions.

Happiness and Culture is what it’s about now a days. Don’t take the pay cut if you are selling yourself short and just taking the first opportunity- but if this is something that you want to do, then go for it.

I turned down a job that would have paid me 50% more than what it pays right now for a director role, but I worked with the VP and CEO in the past and I turned it down knowing it would be toxic in the end, and while I would be set up financially for the next 2-3 years, it would have not been worth it.

If you can withstand it - I would search for different companies to work for and don’t settle on the first one that comes your way. But leave when you find the one you want (regardless of income, as long as you can make ends meet)
[Reply]
Sorce 02:20 PM 01-22-2022
If it is better for your mental health and you can meet obligations then do it. But keep looking for something better. If you can be in a better mindset to find something better don't feel loyalty to a company.
[Reply]
trndobrd 02:27 PM 01-22-2022
Been there. Get out while you have time to develop a plan and find a good place to land. If you keep pushing off the inevitable decision to leave until you physically/emotionally implode, you will have fewer options and potentially worse options.

Make your decision now, decide on a date that you want to working at your new job, then take the necessary steps to make the move. You will be suprised how much better you feel once you set the plan in motion.
[Reply]
arrwheader 02:40 PM 01-22-2022
I did this and then the next place I went to was horrid. It ended up showing me I didn't have it so bad and have me a renewed appreciation for what I had. Thankfully I got hired back to my old job and I am extremely happy.

However, I know guys that make a lot of money but never get any free time. Constantly working and sacrifice family and any leisure time and I think that is sad and stupid. Just selling out for money that will make your life easier perhaps but makes you a slave and miss out on life as they work it away.

If I had to take a pay cut to get more out of life then it would be worth it to me.

Sent from my SM-F711U1 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
BWillie 02:46 PM 01-22-2022
The point of money is not to buy things, although you can do that along the way. The goal to money is freedom, of time and desire.
[Reply]
notorious 02:48 PM 01-22-2022
I've already done that. I was told I had to "wait my turn" and there would be opportunities for advancement. It all turned out to to be a lie when the opportunity to advance came up.
They had their shot.

Move on. You'll be shocked at how well someone that respects and appreciates your work treats you.
[Reply]
bdj23 02:54 PM 01-22-2022
Thank you for all the input fellas.

I love this place
[Reply]
Coach 03:19 PM 01-22-2022
This is exactly the same situation I'm in.

While I do enjoy the $ i currently make, most of what's left over after bills/savings goes to my self destructive behavior of drinking and online poker (coping mechanisms for me hating my job).

Plus my wife says I've turned into a miserable prick and I'm hard to be around a lot of times.
This is just my thoughts on this. Take it how you see fit.

It sounds like that you are not mentally happy with the job if you are feeling like you have to force yourself to talk to yourself to go to the job, that your wife has said the comment of you being a miserable prick, and that you're blowing money on booze and gambling. Those are 3 big tells that you are not currently happy (mentally and physically), regardless of the pay.

I would suggest that it's time for you to have a sit-down with the wife, with absolutely no distractions (no TV, phones turned off, etc.) and have a deep heart felt conversation to the wife on why/how you are truly feeling (if not done so) and why this job is making you into a miserable prick. This is not a sign of weakness. Not at all. It sounds like she is a supportive type (of course, this I do not know, so I am speculating). Even go as far as finding a therapist and have that conversation with a therapist as well, if needed.

We all get beaten down a little bit, and yes, I'm sure we all want to make a shit load of money and be successful on our job(s). That's life. But the biggest question you have to ask yourself is, is your current job right now really more important than your relationship to your wife, and more importantly, to yourself/your well-being? Especially if you got passed over/demoted for some BS?
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 04:01 PM 01-22-2022
That's the thing. I had a position I really liked with my current employer, but then I got demoted (long story, it was bullshit) and now I'm stuck doing something I don't like.

It's 100% killed my moral. I tried to make it work for my family and I don't think it ever will.
Life's short, be confident in your ability and find an employer who appreciates you doing the job you enjoy.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 12
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Up