ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 12
< 12 3456 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Taking a pay cut to get out of a job you hate
bdj23 10:50 AM 01-22-2022
Without getting too detailed about my personal life....

I'm burnt out

Has anyone on CP ever had to do this? Did it work out for you? Is not having the extra money worth being happy? Is making alright money worth feeling like you have sold your soul?

Any input or advice is appreciated.
[Reply]
FlaChief58 11:18 AM 01-22-2022
Not exactly the same, but I used to work at a place that had us on mandatory 12 hour minimum shifts 6 days a week. They routinely would blow up my phone on my days off to get me to come in. After about a year of this, I got severely burnt out and put in for a much needed vacation. They told me that I couldn't take vacation until September (6 months away). I smiled and said ok. That afternoon, I drove my truck home, unloaded all my tools and called them to pick up their truck.
[Reply]
TripleThreat 11:26 AM 01-22-2022
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Worked at a job for 14 years where I absolutely hated half of the people I worked with. Got to the point where I would sit in the parking garage and have to talk myself in to going in for that day.

Ended up taking a lesser paying job and moving out of state. Around $1000 less a month. Turned out being the best thing for me because I spent 2.5 years there before taking a job working from home making around $1000 more a month then I made at the first job.
what do you do for a living if you dont mind me asking
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:29 AM 01-22-2022
Originally Posted by TripleThreat:
what do you do for a living if you dont mind me asking
I work in the Elections area.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 11:30 AM 01-22-2022
Originally Posted by BDj23:
That's the thing. I had a position I really liked with my current employer, but then I got demoted (long story, it was bullshit) and now I'm stuck doing something I don't like.

It's 100% killed my moral. I tried to make it work for my family and I don't think it ever will.
Probably should have just left when you were demoted. Demotions rarely work for either the employee or employer.
[Reply]
BWillie 11:31 AM 01-22-2022
Without getting too detailed about my personal life....

I'm burnt out

Has anyone on CP ever had to do this? Did it work out for you? Is not having the extra money worth being happy? Is making alright money worth feeling like you have sold your soul?

Any input or advice is appreciated.
You would think with the Great Resignation companies would be working harder on retention than anything.
[Reply]
TripleThreat 11:34 AM 01-22-2022
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
I work in the Elections area.
The elections area? So like just working on reports/data from/for elections?
[Reply]
HayWire 11:40 AM 01-22-2022
Simple answer, yes.

A ton of other factors should be considered though.

I had the exact experience 5 years ago.

When it got to the point I sat in the parking lot just dreading my day it wasn't worth it.
Sure...we all need money....but if you get to point it makes you cranky outside of work it's definitely not worth it.

I'm not taking shit to my grave. I can work all I want but if my life isn't enjoyable then what's the point?

I was at the point I was cranky all the time. Waking up was rough, going to work was rough, and I unfortunately passed my bleeding vagina on to everyone around me.

I guess the real question is what do you desire?
A bologna sandwich and a smile vs a steak and a frown?

I chose bologna.
[Reply]
Jenson71 11:43 AM 01-22-2022
That's the thing. I had a position I really liked with my current employer, but then I got demoted (long story, it was bullshit) and now I'm stuck doing something I don't like.

It's 100% killed my moral. I tried to make it work for my family and I don't think it ever will.
Yeah, you need to change. A pay cut is worth it. You may find out that your lifestyle can adjust accordingly (although, I'm sure most advice would say, it's not going to, and things are going to get tight) or you can keep looking for future pay increases while you're in a temporarily 'healthier' position.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:44 AM 01-22-2022
No clue what you’re doing or anything about your industry but virtually everybody I talk to that deals with labor says they’re paying their people way more than last year and having to pay a mint to get anyone new in.

Look around. You may be able to turn a change into more money
[Reply]
chiefforlife 11:49 AM 01-22-2022
I was at a job that I enjoyed and did very well at, things were going good for me professionally and personally.

Then our owner sold out. The new owner decided to reinvent the wheel and change everything that made this place a gold mine. He felt that most of us were overpaid and he could make even more money without paying quality people. It really started to suck, I hated working for this guy.

So I had another company recruit me, had a great sales pitch about the company and advancement in the company.

Basically, I would take a 10 Grand a year paycut but after a year I would be making at least 10 Grand more than I was currently making.
I decided to take it, it would be a new challenge and I would eventually make more with this new great company!

Trying to keep this short but I think it may help you.

I worked my ass off for this company for a year. I did everything they asked of me and more. Only to find out that they had made these promises to many other people. So when the time came as agreed upon I was told well we have many people up for this position, be patient.

I explained, that wasnt the deal. I held up my end and then some. I quickly realized this was how they got people to give maximum effort for minimal pay. I felt duped. How could I have not seen this?

So, I decided to open my own business. I realized I was never going to be happy working for someone else. I had spent my working career to this point making other people a lot of money.

Quitting my job and taking less to be "happy" didnt work out to well in the short term but ultimately it led me to start my own business.

It changed my life for the better. I think back now and wonder what if I never made that decision? A decision that I felt horrible about at the time. One that made me feel dumb and disappointed in myself.

So my advice is to make the change! Life is to short to waste time for people who dont appreciate you anyway. Even if it doesnt initially work out, it could open new doors that you may not even think possible.

Good Luck to you!
[Reply]
bdj23 12:19 PM 01-22-2022
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi:
Probably should have just left when you were demoted. Demotions rarely work for either the employee or employer.
I wanted to, but I had just found out my wife was pregnant.
[Reply]
chiefforlife 12:27 PM 01-22-2022
I wanted to, but I had just found out my wife was pregnant.
Funny you mention that.

So when I decided to borrow ALL the money in my house and savings and anywhere else I could find it to quit my job and start my own business, we had a 4 year old and my wife was pregnant.

She literally thought I was crazy, I was risking everything we had at the time.

The thing about that is, you know you CANT fail. Im a very self motivated person anyway but that kind of pressure will motivate you like you never knew you had in you.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 12:36 PM 01-22-2022

Seems like this feeling of wanting to find another job that pays less might have more to do with how you were treated and ended up in this position rather than the position or responsibilities itself.
[Reply]
Easy 6 12:41 PM 01-22-2022
"Money isn't everything" is one of the best truisms ever

I took a pay cut years ago to get out of the car selling business and never thought twice about it

Working every saturday
Always being harangued to come in on my day off
Taking heat from every side... customers, mgmt, other sales staff

Lifes too short to be miserable at work, get out and don't look back
[Reply]
eDave 12:47 PM 01-22-2022
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showt...hlight=burnout
[Reply]
Page 2 of 12
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up