ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 12
1 234511 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Taking a pay cut to get out of a job you hate
bdj23 10:50 AM 01-22-2022
Without getting too detailed about my personal life....

I'm burnt out

Has anyone on CP ever had to do this? Did it work out for you? Is not having the extra money worth being happy? Is making alright money worth feeling like you have sold your soul?

Any input or advice is appreciated.
[Reply]
Shaid 10:54 AM 01-22-2022
I've not taken jobs that paid better because I knew it wouldn't be good for my long term mental health. Not quite the same but in that ballpark. Gotta do what is best for you.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:57 AM 01-22-2022
Worked at a job for 14 years where I absolutely hated half of the people I worked with. Got to the point where I would sit in the parking garage and have to talk myself in to going in for that day.

Ended up taking a lesser paying job and moving out of state. Around $1000 less a month. Turned out being the best thing for me because I spent 2.5 years there before taking a job working from home making around $1000 more a month then I made at the first job.
[Reply]
Simply Red 10:58 AM 01-22-2022
yes, just did it a year or two ago (well over a year, not quite '2'.)
[Reply]
sully1983 10:58 AM 01-22-2022
Yes to all of your questions.

You mentioned you are burnt out. I've been there / done that.

Ever since 2019, I've kept this mindset of making my life as simple / less stressful as possible. And that doesn't mean I take short cuts or half ass it either.

That year I declined a higher paying position and don't regret it. The position at my company that I currently have still pays very well and is definitely less stressful.

In short, do not overwork yourself. Its just not worth it.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 10:59 AM 01-22-2022
I did. It was about 3k less. But the lack of stress more than made up for it. Sleep better. Heart rate way down. BP down. Weight is up because the school lunches are way better.

But, my wife got a pay raise about that time, and another when she took her new job. So it did really work out. She also went from driving 30 miles one way to driving .9 miles. Pay raise.
[Reply]
KCUnited 11:01 AM 01-22-2022
I haven't done it personally but am close with 2 people who recently have. Both do not appear any happier and one is putting out feelers to get rehired back into their old position.

My best guess is that their work situation was just a small piece of their misery and both were expecting a 180 in quality of life by changing jobs but it hasn't materialized that way.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.
[Reply]
Pablo 11:02 AM 01-22-2022
Don't let a job you hate ruin the rest of your life. Prioritize your happiness and especially with a baby and wife you want to be in the best mental state because they need you to be.
[Reply]
bdj23 11:02 AM 01-22-2022
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Worked at a job for 14 years where I absolutely hated half of the people I worked with. Got to the point where I would sit in the parking garage and have to talk myself in to going in for that day.

Ended up taking a lesser paying job and moving out of state. Around $1000 less a month. Turned out being the best thing for me because I spent 2.5 years there before taking a job working from home making around $1000 more a month then I made at the first job.
This is exactly the same situation I'm in.

While I do enjoy the $ i currently make, most of what's left over after bills/savings goes to my self destructive behavior of drinking and online poker (coping mechanisms for me hating my job).

Plus my wife says I've turned into a miserable prick and I'm hard to be around a lot of times.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 11:02 AM 01-22-2022
I had a job I absolutely hated while I was going to school. I was 29. When I graduated I started a job in my actual degree field making 5k less per year but way better quality and of life.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:05 AM 01-22-2022
Originally Posted by BDj23:
This is exactly the same situation I'm in.

While I do enjoy the $ i currently make, most of what's left over after bills/savings goes to my self destructive behavior of drinking and online poker (coping mechanisms for me hating my job).

Plus my wife says I've turned into a miserable prick and I'm hard to be around a lot of times.
I heard the same shit from my wife. No job is worth killing your happiness or relationship. If you can survive on the lesser paying job and be happier….then make the change.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 11:07 AM 01-22-2022
I got good advice years ago, "find something you love, and do it well", the rest usually takes care of itself.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 11:12 AM 01-22-2022
there are some really good career counselors
and look for jobs on linkedin

and with todays job market, you may not have to take a pay cut. No one, other than teachers should have to take a pay cut.

Why? Union contracts with schools and clauses that schools only pay X amount when you are coming in.

Not meant to be political
[Reply]
DaFace 11:12 AM 01-22-2022
Originally Posted by The Franchise:

That's an important point. If the new gig allows you time to reflect and figure out where you really want to be long term, it could eventually lead to a better situation even if the short term requires a pay cut.
[Reply]
bdj23 11:15 AM 01-22-2022
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
I got good advice years ago, "find something you love, and do it well", the rest usually takes care of itself.
That's the thing. I had a position I really liked with my current employer, but then I got demoted (long story, it was bullshit) and now I'm stuck doing something I don't like.

It 100% killed my morale. I tried to make it work for my family and I don't think it ever will.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 12
1 234511 > Last »
Up