ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Is this the dumbest play design of the year?
Direckshun 08:49 PM 11-29-2021
I am catching up on some bye week action, currently watching the Titans implode against the Pats.

Look at this god-awful play design from the Titans. Shocker that it didn't work out for them.

The entire offensive line goes left, in what I'm guessing they think is the Greatest Play Fake Of All Time.

Literally everybody else, including Tannehill, rolls right, as does the entire Patriots defense. Since nobody from the Titans actually followed the OL left, it's not super hard for the Patriots to figure this out.

So... it's 7 on 11, with Tannehill rolling with zero protection, and of course he's immeidately pressured, with absolutely nobody to throw to.

This is an abomination.

Did they even run it correctly?

What was even supposed to happen? Was the Patriots defense supposed to follow the OL even though literally everybody they're supposed to guard and pressure is going right?
[Reply]
ThaVirus 08:55 PM 11-29-2021
If Henry isn't hurt, that play is a lot more effective.
[Reply]
Halfcan 09:06 PM 11-29-2021
Tannehill is a shit QB- always has been.
[Reply]
Shag 09:06 PM 11-29-2021
CLE had a play yesterday where they direct snapped to Landry, and then basically had him try and be a QB. Didn't seem to be any trickery, other than changing who took the snap. Super weird, and ended up in a fumble.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:11 PM 11-29-2021
Tannehill was late on the throw, IMO.

The worst play design of the year I've seen so far was the throwback screen to a tackle eligible with the game on the line...

pic.twitter.com/IIthoArAzi

— Ralph Wiggum (@RalphWStats) November 28, 2021

How could that have possibly worked?
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:15 PM 11-29-2021
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
If Henry isn't hurt, that play is a lot more effective.
If one guy probably a TE had come across the field on a shallow cross to the left it’s an easy TD.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:17 PM 11-29-2021
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
If one guy probably a TE had come across the field on a shallow cross to the left it’s an easy TD.
It almost looks like maybe 87 should have chucked and released on a quick slant over the middle.

Maybe you're right. Could've just been that someone missed the call and screwed the whole thing up.
[Reply]
Direckshun 09:22 PM 11-29-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
It almost looks like maybe 87 should have chucked and released on a quick slant over the middle.

Maybe you're right. Could've just been that someone missed the call and screwed the whole thing up.
Not sure how that explains the wisdom of a play where your entire OL is literally standing around half a field removed from the action.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:27 PM 11-29-2021
Originally Posted by Shag:
CLE had a play yesterday where they direct snapped to Landry, and then basically had him try and be a QB. Didn't seem to be any trickery, other than changing who took the snap. Super weird, and ended up in a fumble.
That was a bad one.

Landry needed to run or throw back to Baker, who was available, immediately if the read wasn't there. He fucked around and junior high QB'd that shit.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:32 PM 11-29-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Not sure how that explains the wisdom of a play where your entire OL is literally standing around half a field removed from the action.
Similar idea to a screen pass. It keeps the lineman moving forward and attacking rather than potentially floating back into where your short pass is headed and maybe getting their arms up to deflect the pass.

And ultimately it was probably something they saw on tape that they thought they could exploit. Maybe BB runs a lot of stunt sort of moves near the goalline and they figured they could confuse the DL. Or like I said, maybe they just wanted those DL getting aggressive.

Tannehill had time/space to make a quick throw. He just held the ball. He could've even hit that skinny post right after the play fake.

It was almost certainly a 1-read play. If that read wasn't there, Tannehill should've fired it out the back of the end zone.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 09:33 PM 11-29-2021
Nothing wrong with the play other than a terrible throw
[Reply]
Shag 09:33 PM 11-29-2021
Can't imagine there will ever be a worse play than this one...

[Reply]
Fish 09:36 PM 11-29-2021
Yeah, that's really not that big of a deal. Just a misdirection screen, and Tannehill made a bad pass. Probably could have passed off to another option.
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:38 PM 11-29-2021
While play design wasn’t the worst ever, Rams running the ball on 3rd down, down by 11 with no timeouts at the end was epically stupid. They then kicked a FG after losing like 30 seconds off the clock.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:39 PM 11-29-2021
I wonder if the Patriots incorporate zone blitz looks in goal to go situations. It would seem to be a good place for them (where your DL don't have as much ground to cover if they peel back into coverage while the LBs/DBs blitz).

That kind of design would make just be daring those DL to abandone that short zone assignment and leave the middle wide open.

Like I said - I gotta believe they saw something on tape they thought they could take advantage of.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up