Page 7 of 15
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>RIP Old person I've never heard of
RealSNR 10:54 PM 05-29-2021
RIP
[Reply]
Rain Man 08:16 PM 07-10-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:
You're forgetting the best one - North and South.
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
A lot of those made for tv movie and mini series from the 70s and 80s really kicked ass. Lonesome Dove, Shogun, Dark Night of the Scarecrow, Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, Murder By Natural Causes and so many more.
Roots, of course, was the father of them all, and it was great. I also remember watching a WWII one called Winds of War.

I wonder how those would age today. I'm surprised that I never see them replayed.
[Reply]
Kman34 08:22 PM 07-10-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Roots, of course, was the father of them all, and it was great. I also remember watching a WWII one called Winds of War.

I wonder how those would age today. I'm surprised that I never see them replayed.
The Thorn Birds and Shogun... Richard Chamberlain was a big deal back then.. I watched Thorn Birds because...Rachel Ward
[Reply]
Frazod 08:25 PM 07-10-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:

The wife had never seen North and South, so I picked it up on DVD and rewatched it with her a few years ago. It was a bit cheesier than I remembered, but held up pretty well. It had a great cast and a fantastic score.

For anyone interested in watching North and South, there were three installments. The first one deals with the years leading up to the Civil War, and the second is set during the Civil War. They are both excellent. The third is set after the Civil War, and is as awful as the first two were great; Swayze isn't in it, and the whole production was amateurish and lame. Don't even bother with it.
[Reply]
Mennonite 08:51 PM 07-10-2021
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
I was recently listening to a podcast with some comedians [forgot which one, probably Threedom with Aukerman/Tompkins/Lapkus] and one of them was trying to remember a 'kid detective' series with a clubhouse in a junkyard. I was yelling '3 Investigators' at my PC.
I was a huge Hardy Boys fan when I was a kid, but I never heard of the Three Investigators series until a few months ago. I was listening to a horror podcast and they played a story called "Footsteps Invisible." I'm a fan of Old Time Radio and I recognized the name of the story's author, Robert A. Arthur as a well-known writer of classic radio programs. Turns out he also edited the Alfred Hitchcock anthology books back in the day and also created the Three Investigators series. Ever since then the Baader–Meinhof phenomenon has kicked in and I'm seeing references to Jupiter Jones and the Three Investigators everywhere I look.

"Footsteps Invisible" can be listened to here:

https://pseudopod.org/2013/12/06/pse...eps-invisible/

"S.O.S." and "Death is the Judge" from the Mysterious Traveller radio program were both written by Arthur and can be listened to for free at the Internet Archive.
[Reply]
srvy 09:00 PM 07-10-2021
Then The Day After scared the bejesus out of everyone and boom the mini-series went poof.
[Reply]
scho63 05:20 PM 07-12-2021
Boy some great nostalgic stuff in here! Us old timers know good shit.....
[Reply]
alanm 05:36 PM 07-12-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
A lot of those made for tv movie and mini series from the 70s and 80s really kicked ass. Lonesome Dove, Shogun, Dark Night of the Scarecrow, Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, Murder By Natural Causes and so many more.
Lonesome Dove and Shogun are two of the best of all time. Robert Duvall was awesome in Lonesome Dove. Shogun was fantastic as well. Richard Chamberlain, Tishiro Mifune and John Rhys-Davies in it. What a great cast and story. I've got both mini series on DVD. Been awhile since I've watched either but now I've got a hankering to watch Shogun. Any of you youngsters that haven't seen Shogun, do yourselves a favor. You won't be disappointed. :-)
[Reply]
Frazod 08:11 PM 07-12-2021
Talking about North and South and the various babes brought up in the Salma Hayek thread reminded me of Terri Garber, who played Patrick Swayze's deliciously evil sister Ashton in North and South. Never saw her in anything else, but goddamn she was smoking hot.

[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:41 PM 07-12-2021
Is Charlie Robinson, aka the Court Clerk on Night Court, a qualifying entry?

75 yo, cancer and cardiac arrest listed.

He's immortal in meme infamy.

via GIPHY

[Reply]
Frazod 08:46 PM 07-12-2021
That's too bad. Night Court had one of the best ensemble casts in TV history. Probably my favorite show from the 80s.

RIP
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 10:42 PM 07-12-2021

Often words are puny useless things. Maybe they will make sense in time but for now our deepest condolences to his loved ones.——- Charlie Robinson. November 9, 1945 – July 11, 2021 pic.twitter.com/yHLgXPglMc

— John B. Larroquette (@johnlarroquette) July 13, 2021

[Reply]
alanm 10:59 PM 07-12-2021
That's too bad. Night Court had one of the best ensemble casts in TV history. Probably my favorite show from the 80s.

RIP
For some reason I never really got into Night Court. The times I did watch it it was pretty funny. I used to watch something else that was on at the same time. But for the life of me I can't remember what. Thinking it was something that was on PBS. :-)
[Reply]
DeepPurple 07:33 AM 07-13-2021
This was in January, but Gregory Sierra died at age 83. He was on so many TV shows as a semi-regular, it's hard to pick one.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0797268/?ref_=nm_mv_close

I saw he was a regular on Barney Miller the first two seasons '75-'76, which I did watch. The creator of BM started a new show and picked Sierra to be it's star, which he jumped at. I don't remember the show, it was Hudson Street and lasted only one season in '78.

Then I started reading more on the guys on Barney Miller and saw Ron Glass and me had the same birthday, July 10th but he was five years older but died in 2016.

It was said he was gay and had a long term relationship with the actor who played Luke on the daytime soap, Tony Geary. I didn't watch soaps, but about 1980 this photo was on the cover of every tabloid, People magazine and anything else at the checkout counter, you couldn't miss it.

Tony Geary was said to have two year relationship with Liz Taylor back during the Luke and Laura days, but anyone who knows Liz, for some reason she had a thing for gay men, Rock Hudson and Montgomery Cliff come to mind. As far as Ron Glass, I only found that it was a long term relationship with Tony Geary.

[Reply]
Hydrae 07:52 AM 07-13-2021
Ron Glass was probably my favorite on Barney Miller. I was thrilled when he showed up on Firefly and was very sad when he passed.
[Reply]
scho63 07:55 AM 07-13-2021

RIP
Another fantastic show and some of the best one-liners in any comedy show in history :-):-)
[Reply]
Page 7 of 15
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Up