ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 18
< 12 345612 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>I'll say it; Mike Vrabel is a huge liability on this defense
steelyeyed57 06:11 PM 12-12-2010
He routinely fails to set the edge on outside contain. He routinely fails to get near the QB on his blitzes. He is routinely beaten in pass coverage. Today, in particular, he had crucial missed tackles.
I realize he has a lot of knowledge and leadership, but his dwindling athleticism is negating whatever intangibles he brings to the table.
[Reply]
kysirsoze 07:17 PM 12-12-2010
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Name me a coach that earned in excess of $50 million in his playing career.

If Vrabel stays in the game in any capacity, it'll be in network broadcasting.

It's a stupid ****ing argument, just as it was with Trent Green.
That might be, but there are plenty of wealthy coaches that continue to coach cause they want to. Vrabel could have that sam desire. I have no idea.
[Reply]
Mama Hip Rockets 12:32 AM 12-13-2010
Mike Vrabel is terrible. Why are we acting like this is groundbreaking news?
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 12:34 AM 12-13-2010
There was one play in particular when Tolbert went around the edge and it took Vrabel a solid second to turn his body around and begin pursuit. It was like watching someone run in wooden clogs.

He is easily the worst starter on this defense.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:40 AM 12-13-2010
Originally Posted by kysirsoze:
That might be, but there are plenty of wealthy coaches that continue to coach cause they want to. Vrabel could have that sam desire. I have no idea.
You're missing the point.

What drives guys like Shanahan and Belichick and Urban Meyer and Pete Carroll isn't the money, it's competition. It's trying to prove they're the best at what they do, whether it's the college level or the NFL. They're "Type A" guys.

Players play because they can and if they earn countless millions, they've got a life that only a small percentage on this planet can claim. They also have wives and children. How in the hell can a guy that's earned in excess of $50 million dollars (hell, $20 million) justify coaching?

Players show up maybe 4-6 hours a day to train, watch film and practice. Coaches are at the facility 12 hours a day or more. What sane person with tens of millions of dollars from playing the game would even WANT to put in a minimum of 12 hours a day for "peanuts"?

Here's the answer: None.
[Reply]
Fritz88 01:35 AM 12-13-2010
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Uh, no. Rain Man. It says it right there at the top of the post.
:-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
DanT 10:55 AM 12-13-2010
The deficiencies that steelyeyed57 listed in his topic post certainly applied to Vrabel on the handful of plays yesterday where I focussed on him. He doesn't just miss tackles in which he gets his hands on the ball carrier. He also misses them because he's so busy getting beat by his blocker that he doesn't even realize that the ball carrier is coming his way. Mr. Vrabel has had a great career. I don't know if he's hurt, too old or both, but he's not performing at the level that we need.
[Reply]
MOhillbilly 11:00 AM 12-13-2010
Yay, welcome to October 2009.
THIS.
[Reply]
stevieray 11:09 AM 12-13-2010
Originally Posted by Coach:
I know he's trying. I know his talent isn't there, and he's getting older, but he hasn't quit, unlike Kendrick Lewis.
...the talent has always been there, he just can't outrun Father Time.
[Reply]
beach tribe 11:13 AM 12-13-2010
Jones, and Vrabel are definitely the Geezers on O and D.

We needs replacements.
I have to wonder how much of an impact Vrabel's presence over the last two seasons has made on the play of the LBs. I'd have to think he helped quite a bit in the transition to the 3-4.
[Reply]
jd1020 11:19 AM 12-13-2010

What drives guys like Shanahan and Belichick and Urban Meyer and Pete Carroll isn't the money, it's competition. It's trying to prove they're the best at what they do, whether it's the college level or the NFL. They're "Type A" guys.

Players play because they can and if they earn countless millions, they've got a life that only a small percentage on this planet can claim. They also have wives and children. How in the hell can a guy that's earned in excess of $50 million dollars (hell, $20 million) justify coaching?

Players show up maybe 4-6 hours a day to train, watch film and practice. Coaches are at the facility 12 hours a day or more. What sane person with tens of millions of dollars from playing the game would even WANT to put in a minimum of 12 hours a day for "peanuts"?

Clearly YOU wouldn't do it. I can't believe you think you are the voice of reason for why someone else does something.

The theory you are spewing is completely retarded. Why the **** would someone spend their entire day game planning? BECAUSE THEY ENJOY IT!
[Reply]
jspchief 11:45 AM 12-13-2010

Due to the era he played in, I doubt he made 50mil, but Singletary is a big time player that became a coach. It's not beyond the realm of possibility.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 12:13 PM 12-13-2010
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
There was one play in particular when Tolbert went around the edge and it took Vrabel a solid second to turn his body around and begin pursuit. It was like watching someone run in wooden clogs.

He is easily the worst starter on this defense.
You mean the one where they showed the replay from the other angle and you could clearly see 2 fists full of jersey?

Bob Dole saw the same "slow" and rewound to be sure.
[Reply]
Kerberos 12:26 PM 12-13-2010
Originally Posted by jspchief:
Due to the era he played in, I doubt he made 50mil, but Singletary is a big time player that became a coach. It's not beyond the realm of possibility.
As I agree with you that it is a possibility. I think Singletary is more of an exception and definately not the rule.

I see both sides of the fence.

How many BIG TIME players out there that have made 30-50 Million $ during their are now actively coaching?

I don't think there is that many (or any at all) because it is hard for me to think of even 1.
[Reply]
Amnorix 12:48 PM 12-13-2010
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Yeah, he's the weak spot performance-wise. I'm not sure if he makes the other players around him better, but opposing offenses should be targeting him.

The good news is that his position is the prime candidate for an upgrade anyway. If we want to improve our pass rush, Vrabel's position is where we want to invest an early draft pick.

Whoever you guys want at that position -- that's who the Pats will take using the Raiders pick we got from them. Just so you know...

:-)
[Reply]
Brock 12:51 PM 12-13-2010
Originally Posted by jspchief:
I would guess he's made more money coaching than he ever did playing.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 18
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up