Nzoner's Game Room>Is CEH a JAG?
lewdog 06:47 AM 09-20-2021
Is Clyde just another guy?

I’m writing a dissertation on this.

Thanks.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:32 PM 11-22-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Darrel gets 3 yards here. Clyde is back. We need Clyde.

Agreed.

I don't know that he'll ever be the sort of explosive player that can force teams out of shells against us, but he's clearly a better complement to the offense than anyone else we have available.

Like I said several weeks ago - Veach had a plan for CEH and I think it was a good one in a vacuum. He just never figured teams would sell out THIS much to stop our downfield passing game and suddenly we're a fast-back away from being able to do much about it.

Though I still think he's wildly underutilized in the passing game.

I still can't quite figure out why people are coming out of the woodwork after yesterday's game, though. I thought the difference between him and Williams was night and day. CEH is clearly the more effective option for us.
[Reply]
crispystl 04:37 PM 11-22-2021
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
I'm just truly mystified by Reids MIA screen game, he used to be the consensus screen game MASTER... thats where Clyde could truly excel IMHO

Well he does love to sandbag stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:38 PM 11-22-2021
Originally Posted by jd1020:
It hasn't translated that way because he gets 2... 2 targets a game in the passing game.

I thought Mahomes would have had his Cole Trickle moment last week after throwing 5 TDs and 400 yards to just take what the defense was giving you and accept the free 10-15 yards underneath. But it was like he forgot everything about it and started taking sacks again looking for the big play down field. Then he doesn't make a wide open pitch to CEH and takes a 8 yard sack. It's all so very confusing.
Micah Parsons was shot out of a cannon yesterday.

I didn't feel like Mahomes was taking too long to unload or getting himself sacked. OBJ just didn't have an answer for Parsons.

A lot of teams are going to have that problem going forward. Parsons is a hell of a player. Ironically he reminds me a little of Melvin Ingram, especially the peak version of him. That Ingram could win with speed or power (this one's mostly power). Parsons is like that only faster. Right now he doesn't have quite Ingram's power, but he'll get there.

He's going to be a handful for a long time. I didn't really expect him to be a real EDGE kind of player coming out of the draft, but that's looking like who he may end up being.

His ceiling really could be Khalil Mack if he can continue to add functional strength. No shame in getting your shit pushed in by a future All Pro - happens to all but the very best. And he's a particularly bad matchup for a guy like Brown.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 04:40 PM 11-22-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Agreed.

I don't know that he'll ever be the sort of explosive player that can force teams out of shells against us, but he's clearly a better complement to the offense than anyone else we have available.

Like I said several weeks ago - Veach had a plan for CEH and I think it was a good one in a vacuum. He just never figured teams would sell out THIS much to stop our downfield passing game and suddenly we're a fast-back away from being able to do much about it.

Though I still think he's wildly underutilized in the passing game.

I still can't quite figure out why people are coming out of the woodwork after yesterday's game, though. I thought the difference between him and Williams was night and day. CEH is clearly the more effective option for us.
The under-utilization in the passing game part is what boggles my mind. I do NOT understand. Look at some CEH LSU highlights; he's running an advanced route tree like a slot WR. That's why we took him, I assumed, instead of a pure runner like Taylor.

We're looking at CEH through ONE facet of his skillset with his best skills being ignored. I really don't get it.

If he's catching 6-7 balls out in the flats per game as well as 12-15 runs, you'd be getting a ton of production and I think we'd all be pleased.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:40 PM 11-22-2021
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
This is true but it seems Mahomes isn't going go for these RB check downs much right now in his career. I am sure at some point as he gets older that will come.
Yeah - there's some truth to this.

Putting CEH out in the pattern gives Patrick an outlet, but keeping him in to block gives Patrick a little more time to find guys downfield.

At this stage in PM's career, he's going to be looking for the Hill and Kelce more. And that's the way the offense is designed anyway - with those two as his 1 and 2 reads.

I do wish there were just a handful of designed wheel/arrow routes each game though, if for no other reason than to keep defenses honest. Without the threat of the blitz anymore, CEH is kinda wasted as someone you keep in to chip an edge.
[Reply]
penchief 04:43 PM 11-22-2021
Yes and no. He can’t do it on his own. But he can be an extremely potent piece of the puzzle if his unique traits are utilized effectively.
[Reply]
ModSocks 04:44 PM 11-22-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

Because once someone starts a narrative it's hard to slow it down.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 04:47 PM 11-22-2021
The other thing-

the big knock on Clyde's blocking...

We almost never keep a back in to block. Why are we playing guys because we trust their blocking?

I get that they trust Williams in every facet, but nobody ever blitzes, so why is our back's blocking so important?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:51 PM 11-22-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
The other thing-

the big knock on Clyde's blocking...

We almost never keep a back in to block. Why are we playing guys because we trust their blocking?

I get that they trust Williams in every facet, but nobody ever blitzes, so why is our back's blocking so important?
Exactly - this is the biggest head scratcher.

I get it for the approach from 2 years ago when teams would throw Zero Coverages at us and send blitzes to try to rattle Mahomes.

But nobody blitzes anymore. So CEH is just chipping and drifting into the flats where PM just isn't terribly likely to go with the ball. So if the blitz has been effectively neutered by PM, CEH should be running routes into the intermediate parts of the field where we know PM will look with the ball anyway. It should serve to pull safeties down into the box a little more as well.

It's just made me wonder what it is am missing. What is it about this game that I think I know that I clearly do not. Because Andy definitely knows more about this game than I do.
[Reply]
dirk digler 05:08 PM 11-22-2021
Originally Posted by Iconic:
Jesus lol. I really do not know what they saw in him to take him so early. He's not bad but even on his college tape he just looks slow. IDK how they thought that would translate into the NFL. Yeah he's extremely quick, great power for his size, and will probably net you consistent yardage but man this offense could be lethal with a speedier home run hitting back.

Maybe it's just preference and I'm just married to the possibilities man. He always shows up on the stat sheet but it never looks the way it should on game day for me.
He was never going to be a burner but his college tape shows he was really quick and light on his feet. He also didn't turtle up and carried the ball like a true RB. I really like his spin move but I don't remember him doing that in the NFL.
[Reply]
Mama Hip Rockets 05:12 PM 11-22-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Because once someone starts a narrative it's hard to slow it down.
Well, he did fumble once.
[Reply]
penchief 05:17 PM 11-22-2021
Originally Posted by Mama Hip Rockets:
Well, he did fumble once.
Possibly the difference between fourth seed and first seed?

Edit: we’d still be behind the Titans.
[Reply]
notorious 05:22 PM 11-22-2021
Just because other teams don’t blitz doesn’t mean we don’t need help blocking.
[Reply]
Mama Hip Rockets 05:24 PM 11-22-2021
Originally Posted by penchief:
Possibly the difference between fourth seed and first seed?

Edit: we’d still be behind the Titans.
2 career fumbles in over 300 touches.

Was one of them in a critical situation? Yes.

We get it. He had a bad fumble. Move the fuck on.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 05:27 PM 11-22-2021
I mean c'mon folks - CEH averaged better than 5 yards/carry with a long of only 14. He wasn't padding his average with garbage yards or a single busted run. That's a hell of a good complementary day for a guy that was running damn hard inside.

Meanwhile Williams went 5/15 w/ 1 carry making up 10 of his 15 yards. He got 5 on his other 4.

Take away CEH's best carry and he's still good for nearly 5 yards per tote. Take away Williams and he may as well have not even suited up. Williams also only had 1 catch on 3 targets for 11 yards whereas CEH had 2 catches for 13 yards on 2 targets.

Guy's just a more effective back and if you can't see that, you're not doing this right.
[Reply]
Page 36 of 80
« First < 263233343536 3738394046 > Last »
Up