« First < 289101112 131415162262 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Veach is the best GM in the NFL
staylor26 11:51 AM 07-14-2020
I don’t think it’s even debatable at this point
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 02:20 PM 09-28-2021
Originally Posted by louie aguiar:
He still hasn't drafted an elite talent
Pretty hard to draft Elite talent at the tail end of the 1st or high 2nd. It just doesn’t happen very often.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 02:22 PM 09-28-2021
Hes riding off of Dorseys HOF picks
[Reply]
Titty Meat 02:23 PM 09-28-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Pretty hard to draft Elite talent at the tail end of the 1st or high 2nd. It just doesn’t happen very often.
Kelce was a third round Hill was a what 5th or 6th?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:43 PM 09-28-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Except that Jones, Hill and Kelce were all acquired after the first round. Schwartz was a bargain FA acquisition and was absolutely vital to the championship.

No - that's not easy. But the last guy kinda made it look like it was. Sneed may be something resembling that kind of steal but what else can Veach point to? Especially when you look at areas he's struggling to fill right now and the depth of talent that has been available to him at WR, for instance.

John Dorsey's efforts were far more instrumental in the success of the Chiefs to this point than Veach's have been. And the job's only going to get harder from here.
[Reply]
JPH83 02:48 PM 09-28-2021
We'll obviously know more in a couple of years, but he looks a pretty average drafter. Some great looking late round picks but what he's got from trades and the first 2 rounds looks mediocre. Some real head-scratchers too.

I get there's a big difference between picking at the top and bottom of the 1st, but you can do yourself a favour by not picking a RB. You're probably not getting immediate elite talent there but you might expect more upgrades and regular contributors than he's got.

Obviously there is still plenty of scope for Gay, Thornhill, Saunders, Bolton, Creed etc. to be solid picks.

But this year I think the only areas I feel confident we've improved are at IOL (and that's probably more long term) and TE depth.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:48 PM 09-28-2021
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Even the Ballard bit? Think the bloom has fallen off that rose quite a bit.
Ballard's been struggling with stability at QB, to be certain.

It's the hardest thing to find in pro sports and to some extent he may be a victim of his success there - his team can win some ballgames even with relative chaff at QB so he's struggled to fill the role with an in-house option.

But admittedly, at a point that excuse won't fly. He has to recognize the importance of the position and move aggressively to fill it. I think the Wentz deal is an admirable flyer given that Wentz has demonstrated legitimate Pro Bowl talent and is still a young player. Even as recently as 2019 he was a guy who still had the look of a SB caliber passer and then in 2020 he was just so thoroughly mind-fucked that you had to throw it out (I've never seen someone so vapor-locked in the pocket).

But he can't Matt Cassel it either. If Wentz can't recapture a top 10 QB sort of form, he's gotta look elsewhere or he absolutely deserves any criticism that comes his way.

It's awfully tough having to rebuild a team when your superstar QB decides to walk away from the game just as you think you're turning a corner.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 02:50 PM 09-28-2021
Eh, Schwartz wasn't exactly a bargain. That deal made him the second highest paid RT at the time of signing. More of a testament to just how much the cap has exploded.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:53 PM 09-28-2021
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Eh, Schwartz wasn't exactly a bargain. That deal made him the second highest paid RT at the time of signing. More of a testament to just how much the cap has exploded.
Go back and find the thread.

I remember us signing him and then that POS that he replaced signing with Denver (maybe Stephenson) for like a million/season less.

Yeah, he was absolutely a steal. So much so that most of us were floored by the fact that the deal got done at all and figured that Schwartz must have been SUPER pissed off at Cleveland for pulling his deal back.
[Reply]
O.city 02:55 PM 09-28-2021
I'm sure this thread will get bumped when we're sitting at 13-4 and hosting another AFC champ game.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 02:56 PM 09-28-2021
I know it's become the new cool thing to shit on veach.

But the entire starting OL and secondary minus Sorensen and including honey Badger are his. I think our LBs will be solid. Solid units where we didn't spend a ton of money.

So really his problem areas are that he hasn't found a WR2, a RB, and we're missing probably one pass rusher. For a team that doesn't have very much cap space and has a ton of talent everywhere else. He's still a hell of a GM.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:57 PM 09-28-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Go back and find the thread.
Here:

The durability just cannot be overstated.

What an amazing deal. The AAV, the structure, the fit and the quality of the player. It's just unreal he got that guy for what the Texans gave Allen, a guy who isn't as good as Schwartz even when he's healthy (and he's never healthy).

It really does defy belief.
Here's the thread:

https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/show...light=Schwartz
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:58 PM 09-28-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
I'm sure this thread will get bumped when we're sitting at 13-4 and hosting another AFC champ game.
I'd still be floored if the Chiefs don't win at least 12. I'm not worried about this team - they'll be fine.

But we still have to be honest about who Veach has been since he's been here. There are real warts in there and plenty of extremely questionable decisions. Most of those decisions that appeared questionable at the time haven't aged better as they've progressed.
[Reply]
O.city 03:00 PM 09-28-2021
I'd still be floored if the Chiefs don't win at least 12. I'm not worried about this team - they'll be fine.

But we still have to be honest about who Veach has been since he's been here. There are real warts in there and plenty of extremely questionable decisions. Most of those decisions that appeared questionable at the time haven't aged better as they've progressed.
The Clark one is the worst for me. It just sucks.

Other than that, I'd say they're pretty defendable

Thing is, every team is gonna have warts especially one they're as far in as we are. The league just isn't easy to stay good and equipped roster wise for that long. It's probably time for a little bit of a roster churn turnover.
[Reply]
burt 03:00 PM 09-28-2021
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
I know it's become the new cool thing to shit on veach.

But the entire starting OL and secondary minus Sorensen and including honey Badger are his. I think our LBs will be solid.

So really his problem areas are that he hasn't found a WR2, a RB, and we're missing probably one pass rusher. For a team that doesn't have very much cap space and has a ton of talent everywhere else. He's still a hell of a GM.
Let's just say that I am very happy I don't get scrutinized under a microscope at my job. Not many of us would enjoy that. I am a vote for Veach.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 03:04 PM 09-28-2021
Ballard's been struggling with stability at QB, to be certain.

It's the hardest thing to find in pro sports and to some extent he may be a victim of his success there - his team can win some ballgames even with relative chaff at QB so he's struggled to fill the role with an in-house option.

But admittedly, at a point that excuse won't fly. He has to recognize the importance of the position and move aggressively to fill it. I think the Wentz deal is an admirable flyer given that Wentz has demonstrated legitimate Pro Bowl talent and is still a young player. Even as recently as 2019 he was a guy who still had the look of a SB caliber passer and then in 2020 he was just so thoroughly mind-fucked that you had to throw it out (I've never seen someone so vapor-locked in the pocket).

But he can't Matt Cassel it either. If Wentz can't recapture a top 10 QB sort of form, he's gotta look elsewhere or he absolutely deserves any criticism that comes his way.

It's awfully tough having to rebuild a team when your superstar QB decides to walk away from the game just as you think you're turning a corner.
Could not disagree more on Wentz, I suppose. Trading that significant of draft capital for a mentally and physically broken QB that's locked effectively into a 2/38 deal because of dead cap is a horrendous move, especially considering they very well may have locked themselves out of a realistic shot at a QBOTF if they have to send a first to Philadelphia.
[Reply]
Page 12 of 111
« First < 289101112 131415162262 > Last »
Up