Page 79 of 934
« First < 29697576777879 8081828389129179579 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
philfree 11:43 AM 07-27-2017
Originally Posted by ghak99:
7wts sold for around $1k/hd yesterday at a local sale.
I'm a green horn in regards to the cattle industry. 7wts is a measurement of weight?
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 12:23 PM 07-27-2017
(BZ Newswire) -- United States Steel Corporation (NYSE: X) has "brighter days ahead," including a nearly doubling of its stock price, according to analysts at JPMorgan. The firm's Michael Gambardella maintains an Overweight rating on U.S. Steel's stock with a price target boosted from $46 to $51 after the company reported its second-quarter results. As part of U.S. Steel's earnings report, management maintained its 2017 EBITDA guidance of $1.1 billion even though it is now assuming a lower HRC (hot rolled coil) price of $612/t versus $644/t when the guidance was first given in April, Gambardella continued. This is due to the improved operational performance of the company's assets and expectations for flat rolled costs prices to remain under control. U.S. Steel also remains optimistic it will see a positive outcome from Section 232, which will have a "sufficient duration" and reduce imports of steels. In the meantime, the entire domestic steel industry has the support of President Donald Trump's administration. Finally, the company reassured investors when it confirmed that building an EAF at Fairfield is a question of when, not if and that it could restart the Granite City blast furnace in a 10-week span, the analyst also noted. Bottom line, the analyst's bullish stance is based on his confidence of ongoing support from the White house and U.S. Steel's current investments will "lead to stronger earnings power ahead.

Currently at $25
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:23 PM 07-27-2017
Originally Posted by philfree:
I'm a green horn in regards to the cattle industry. 7wts is a measurement of weight?
700 lb varmint
[Reply]
DaFace 12:28 PM 07-27-2017
It's not anything new if you already have read up on index fund investing, but here's an interesting podcast about it.

Freakonomics - The Stupidest Thing You Can Do With Your Money

The main points:
[Reply]
Amnorix 12:41 PM 07-27-2017
Originally Posted by philfree:
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
700 lb varmint

Not to be a total dick, but if you know that little about the industry, why in the world would you invest in it?

I dont' know any more than you do, which tells me I shouldn't go there unless I was investing in a PERSON(S) that I totally trusted and thought was very smart, so we could BOTH make money.
[Reply]
blake5676 12:44 PM 07-27-2017
Originally Posted by Hog Farmer:
(BZ Newswire) -- United States Steel Corporation (NYSE: X) has "brighter days ahead," including a nearly doubling of its stock price, according to analysts at JPMorgan. The firm's Michael Gambardella maintains an Overweight rating on U.S. Steel's stock with a price target boosted from $46 to $51 after the company reported its second-quarter results. As part of U.S. Steel's earnings report, management maintained its 2017 EBITDA guidance of $1.1 billion even though it is now assuming a lower HRC (hot rolled coil) price of $612/t versus $644/t when the guidance was first given in April, Gambardella continued. This is due to the improved operational performance of the company's assets and expectations for flat rolled costs prices to remain under control. U.S. Steel also remains optimistic it will see a positive outcome from Section 232, which will have a "sufficient duration" and reduce imports of steels. In the meantime, the entire domestic steel industry has the support of President Donald Trump's administration. Finally, the company reassured investors when it confirmed that building an EAF at Fairfield is a question of when, not if and that it could restart the Granite City blast furnace in a 10-week span, the analyst also noted. Bottom line, the analyst's bullish stance is based on his confidence of ongoing support from the White house and U.S. Steel's current investments will "lead to stronger earnings power ahead.

Currently at $25
I've been kinda kicking myself over the past month for not getting in on X when it bottomed out. I was hesitant to pull the trigger as they had nothing but crap news for a good 3-4 weeks straight. I think it got down close to $18 or so. Anyhow, I've been watching and it's slowly coming back up. Might go ahead and pull the trigger still...
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 12:49 PM 07-27-2017
Originally Posted by blake5676:
I've been kinda kicking myself over the past month for not getting in on X when it bottomed out. I was hesitant to pull the trigger as they had nothing but crap news for a good 3-4 weeks straight. I think it got down close to $18 or so. Anyhow, I've been watching and it's slowly coming back up. Might go ahead and pull the trigger still...
The range on X over the last 10 years is $196 high and $7.85 low
[Reply]
wutamess 12:53 PM 07-27-2017
I got in on this when you mentioned it at $22. Had a limit order to sell at $20. It went to $19.... I've been keeping an eye on it. Do you think it could still be a good long termer?
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 01:02 PM 07-27-2017
Originally Posted by wutamess:
I got in on this when you mentioned it at $22. Had a limit order to sell at $20. It went to $19.... I've been keeping an eye on it. Do you think it could still be a good long termer?
Well, I bought it at 22. If you read the article I posted ,JP Morgan has a target price of 51. It's at 25 today. My feeling is that with Trump in office he's going to look out for the steel industry. I wish I would have bought it at 8 but I didn't.

Doesn't mean I'm right.
[Reply]
wutamess 01:52 PM 07-27-2017
When these analysts come out with their target prices, what's the timetable usually for that price to strike?
[Reply]
philfree 02:07 PM 07-27-2017
Originally Posted by Amnorix:
Not to be a total dick, but if you know that little about the industry, why in the world would you invest in it?

I dont' know any more than you do, which tells me I shouldn't go there unless I was investing in a PERSON(S) that I totally trusted and thought was very smart, so we could BOTH make money.
It's just something I have always considered doing. Wondered if I could make any money doing it. And just because I don't know something today doesn't mean I can't learn about it and then know it. Kind of like any business. Definitely need to be dealing with trust worthy people. I'm pretty sure gahk99 is just wanting to rustle my cattle though so I better watch out for him.

It's not like I'd bet the farm on it. It would also be easy for me to just park all my money in the market but I thought I'd think outside the box for different investments. I'm thinking about buying some rental properties too but I don't know everything about that either so maybe I should just go ahead and punt.
[Reply]
lewdog 04:18 PM 07-27-2017
When these analysts come out with their target prices, what's the timetable usually for that price to strike?
Speculation is speculation and shouldn't be considered much past that. Don't base your selling price off predictions but what the market/industry is telling you. Based on past trends, this should go north of $40 (this is my speculation!).

I got in at $21 and have no plans to sell anytime soon. It seemed like a great buy knowing the president and the US steel industry continues to ramp up production to keep pace with China.

I don't see this as a strict long term stock in my definition, but "long term" is different for many investors. It's a very cyclical/volatile industry and I would have no problems selling ALL stock of it near $50 and not buying again until it went lower.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 07-27-2017, 04:22 PM
This message has been deleted by Hog's Gone Fishin.
Hog's Gone Fishin 04:23 PM 07-27-2017
47 years
[Reply]
Cornstock 09:02 PM 07-27-2017
Originally Posted by Demonpenz:
Vanguard is what I have now. I already put in 70 dollars and I haven't recieved my trophy wife yet.
Good choice with Vanguard. Start by using that as a savings account, adding like $25 per paycheck, more if you can afford it. Every time you get to around $200-500 buy something like VUG or a similar fund.

Be patient and watch it slowly grow. It's not about timing the market, its about time IN the market. You're in it for the long haul.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 09:27 PM 07-27-2017
Originally Posted by Cornstock:
Good choice with Vanguard. Start by using that as a savings account, adding like $25 per paycheck, more if you can afford it. Every time you get to around $200-500 buy something like VUG or a similar fund.

Be patient and watch it slowly grow. It's not about timing the market, its about time IN the market. You're in it for the long haul.
I know it is a pain but people need to screen shot the eft's to meI don't know what a vug is
[Reply]
Page 79 of 934
« First < 29697576777879 8081828389129179579 > Last »
Up