ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>LB stuff
Chris Meck 10:43 AM 01-09-2022
wasn't sure where to post this, but I noticed this week and last that they've started moving Gay from Will to SAM from play to play, sometimes as a pre-snap move.

He originally worked at SAM last year, but with Bolton's emergence, they'd been putting Bolton at SAM when Hitchens is in the lineup and usually Gay stays at Will other than 3rd down (when we put Niemann and Sorensen in. WTF?!).

But it seems that Spags is now moving him around to make best use of his speed and physicality.

Just thought it was interesting is all.

I would think next year, Hitchens is gone, Bolton's your MLB, and we'd need a SAM, but honestly that's the easiest of the three spots to fill.

However, if your SAM was a Gay-type physical specimen (hahahahaha) it would make for another interesting chess piece.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 04:17 PM 01-09-2022
lol

50 views but no response!
[Reply]
Buehler445 04:26 PM 01-09-2022
I was thinking, Hitch probably isn’t in line for a big ass payday, what are the chances they can extend him for not much new money and keep him around for another year.

He’s getting old but he’s serviceable and has been healthy most of the year.

Might be worth a look to avoid having another hole to fill.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:50 PM 01-09-2022
I'd rather move on.

I just think it's time for some new blood.

I'd rather Bolton take the MLB spot, Gay Will and draft or sign a SAM for reasonable money.

No way Hitch comes back for pennies.
[Reply]
dannybcaitlyn 07:05 PM 01-09-2022
We definitely need more depth there. I cringed the other game when Gay tweaked his knee. Hopefully they draft another LB with similar attributes as Gay!
[Reply]
kccrow 07:12 PM 01-09-2022
I really think they need to use Gay alot more like the Cowboys use Parsons. Let him get after the QB alot more than they do. His speed and strength are elite, let him eat.

As for the other spot, I really want KC to add more speed. If Nakobe Dean is somehow sitting there, I wouldn't hesitate. I'd consider Damone Clark too, early.
[Reply]
Stryker 07:44 PM 01-09-2022
Originally Posted by kccrow:
I really think they need to use Gay alot more like the Cowboys use Parsons. Let him get after the QB alot more than they do. His speed and strength are elite, let him eat.

As for the other spot, I really want KC to add more speed. If Nakobe Dean is somehow sitting there, I wouldn't hesitate. I'd consider Damone Clark too, early.
YES! For the win! This guy is awesome!

[IMG][/IMG]
[Reply]
Stryker 07:57 PM 01-09-2022

Problem is that neither will be there where we pick. Eagles have 4 first round picks and need help everywhere.
[Reply]
kccrow 08:06 PM 01-09-2022
Originally Posted by Stryker:
Problem is that neither will be there where we pick. Eagles have 4 first round picks and need help everywhere.
Dean I'd highly doubt. Clark I fully expect to be there.
[Reply]
Stryker 08:44 PM 01-09-2022
Dean I'd highly doubt. Clark I fully expect to be there.
Man I hope you are right! I am in your corner. I just saw the first 16 picks and needs on NFL.com and seems like 40% of those teams need LB as a need.
[Reply]
louie aguiar 10:57 AM 01-10-2022

I agree with this. I would love to see Willie Gay get some snaps rushing the passer.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 01:15 PM 01-10-2022
Would prefer Niemann is removed from most playing time going forward, and would like to see Hitchens gone (at least at his current salary). Having said that, don't think linebacker is a high priority in the early rounds. I think we've seen that a SAM type linebacker can be had for a decent price in FA. Denzel Perryman is making next to nothing in LV and had a decent season by most accounts. Sign someone like him on the cheap in FA and then draft someone in the 4th-5th round for depth and competition.
[Reply]
Meatloaf 02:21 PM 01-10-2022
I agree with CMeck in that I think it's time to move on from Hitchens. He simply does not make enough plays for a starting LB. And, I could care less about him "getting everyone into the proper position"......seems like a bunch of coach-speak to me. I'd much rather see Hitchens actually make a play or two. Not to mince words, but I think he kinda sucks.
[Reply]
kccrow 05:34 PM 01-10-2022
My personal opinion is that the Chiefs shouldn't shoot for a SAM LB unless they can't get an A-level WILL. I just don't think, with his reliability thus far, that I like all the eggs in the Gay basket there.

Gay can play either SAM or WILL, which is valuable. The more important in today's NFL though is a good WILL. You need that fast coverage guy. They put in Niemann so much because he's "relatively" adept at coverage. He's not good enough though. He's especially not fast enough to be where you want as a defense. You give me a guy like Dean or Clark out there every down with Gay playing on the strong side and I'm a happy guy. Something happens to your weak side guy, you still can move Gay over. That, and I'm not necessarily on the let Niemann walk train. He's not great, but he's good enough to keep around as that 4th or 5th LB.

I think if you go for a more traditional SAM, that takes away some flexibility. You don't want a downhill guy like Denzel Perryman. You want a guy that can play multiple looks as Gay can, and I think unleashing Gay with a blitz from the SAM is a great way to use his skill set. I think Gay being in the SAM lets you cover well from that spot too without giving anything away. Give me a Deion Jones or De'Vondre Campbell type of player at the WILL that can cover and make plays in space. We have our downhill thumper in Bolton.

My hot take. :-)
[Reply]
Nightfyre 05:44 PM 01-10-2022
My take is that you don't even need a traditional Will when you have a Willy Gay and play three safety nickel packages all game. Bolton plus Gay plus whatever safety linebacker tweener you have should get the job done and allow for maximum scheme flexibility. Hitchens is an obvious cap casualty.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up