ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Tyrann Mathieu Alternatives thread
Nightfyre 07:31 PM 01-08-2022
This thread idea materialized after I watched HB stand there throwing his hands up in the air rather than trying to challenge Lock at the goal line on his first touchdown run.

What are some acceptable alternative courses of action if you let Mathieu walk in the offseason?
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 07:39 PM 01-08-2022
100%. He makes more business decisions than Deion Sanders did at the end of his career. Would be a huge mistake to sign him to another big deal imo.
[Reply]
bigjosh 07:42 PM 01-08-2022
Keanu neal would be my choice. But im a moron.
[Reply]
bigjosh 07:44 PM 01-08-2022
Originally Posted by bigjosh:
Keanu neal would be my choice. But im a moron.

It would replace sorensen and make it a more traditional Neal at strong and thornhill at free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Cosmos 08:23 PM 01-08-2022
Veach has some work to do on the D side of the roster this Spring.

Mathieu is unlikely to earn his next contract, and we don’t need another Frank Clark situation. I assume Veach will let both go.

I hope Kaindoh can break in and provide some productivity. And I expect Veach to go WR/DE/S-CB in some combination very early in the draft/free agency.

I don’t see a replacement at S on this roster or taxi squad at this point.

We need players with toughness on D willing to play with passion and physicality.

Tyrone used to be that guy….Frank used to be that guy.

Time to move on.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 11:16 AM 01-09-2022
Why not Sneed? I think he's a fantastic HB replacement.
[Reply]
Munson 11:30 AM 01-09-2022
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
I think he could be a worthy replacement.

But that would leave us really thin at CB if we move Sneed and don't re-sign Ward or Hughes.
[Reply]
tmax63 11:39 AM 01-09-2022
At this point I'd almost re-sign Ward over HB. Mathieu really regressed compared to last season in my view. Don't know if it's age or just a blip on the radar. You'd think with contract talks looming he would've balled out.
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 12:22 PM 01-09-2022
Originally Posted by tmax63:
At this point I'd almost re-sign Ward over HB. Mathieu really regressed compared to last season in my view. Don't know if it's age or just a blip on the radar. You'd think with contract talks looming he would've balled out.
Totally agree. Ward didn't have a great game yesterday against Denver, but for the most part in the Cincinnati game he was in good position and just got beat by perfect passes to a great WR, and there's not much he could do about that. By and large this season I think Ward played very well. I've said before that if it came down to signing him or signing HB, put me in the Ward camp without question.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 01:46 PM 01-09-2022
I'm about done with Mathieu; his effort isn't always there and instead of tackling he throws a shoulder at people. Don't know who would replace him however I would concentrate on defensive ends and linebackers. Seems like a competent defensive back could move to safety.

Invest in a good #2 receiver as well...
[Reply]
dannybcaitlyn 03:39 PM 01-09-2022
That’s my thinking also. He played some safety in college.
[Reply]
ChiefAshhole1056 04:24 AM 01-10-2022
I think if we keep Spags, we gotta keep HB. The defense is made specifically with him in mind and I don’t see any other safety in the league that could replace him in the capacity of the “HB” role Spags has specifically installed for this scheme.

If we were to let Spags go and really let Veach retool the defense this offseason the way he before the SB run, you let Mathieu, Hitchens, Sorenson, and Spags go. Bring back the cheaper of Ward and Hughes, and build a new defense around the nucleus of Sneed, Jones, Bolton, and Gay.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:35 AM 01-10-2022
We drop Mathieu into deep coverage a lot. I'm sure Sneed can do that, but I think he's so much better closer to the line, in the slot, covering slot recievers and/or blitzing.

IF you actually replace Sorensen with an actual athletic enough player to be a box safety and yet cover deep, then yeah, you could do that.
[Reply]
tmax63 06:36 AM 01-10-2022
I hear Vic Fangio is available for a DC position....
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:56 AM 01-10-2022
I'm leaning towards letting both Mathieu AND Ward walk.

I like both, but I think maybe it's time to shake it all up on the defense again.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up