ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 27
« First < 41011121314 1516171824 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>All I Have is a Photograph....
gblowfish 08:05 PM 04-05-2020
With all the shelter at home stuff, thought I'd start a fun thread to help get our minds on better times. I am not a professional or high level amateur photographer, but I have taken some cool pictures over the years. If you've taken pictures that you're proud of, how bout posting a couple,and explaining what they are?

I'll Start:

St. Louis July 2003. I was staying downtown in that beer can shaped hotel by the arch. I got a call around midnight that my mom was taken to ICU in Arkansas, and was in bad shape. I got up at dawn as the sun was rising over the Mississippi river. I took this picture looking east. Went to the chapel in the center and said a prayer for my parents. Mom got out of ICU 66 days later.

Alley Springs, MO: From around 2002, near Eminence,MO.

Hotel Bothwell, Sedalia,MO. Shot at sundown in downtown Sedalia.

Desoto Sign, Carthage, MO. On a trip to Arkansas, took the scenic route 2018.

Missouri Hwy 13 Bridge, Lexington, MO: Looking north during the flood of 1993.
Attached: Arch Steeple.jpg (97.8 KB) Alleyspring.jpg (113.8 KB) bothwell.jpg (104.9 KB) DeSoto2.jpg (99.2 KB) lexbridge1993.jpg (108.8 KB) 
[Reply]
Otter 12:34 PM 04-13-2020

[Reply]
srvy 01:44 PM 04-13-2020
Takedown Recurve I built for a co-worker way back when. This was in about midway to completion after the lamination and curing it in the homemade laminating oven. Stressing and rough tillering limbs. The string is a homemade flemish twist string. He wanted the limbs 60 lb at his draw weight of 29 inches it finished off at 61lbs. The handle riser is Bubinga walnut and maple wood and laminated with hyde glue his preference combo. The handle was rough cut then drum sanded till it fit his prefered grip side and shape. It did finish pretty nice and he shoots it still to this day. Still looking for Finish photos.
[Reply]
Otter 02:23 PM 04-30-2020
knee toe
Attached: image_50758.jpg (152.0 KB) 
[Reply]
Otter 01:10 PM 05-04-2020
Yep...
Attached: QFYKO5C.jpg (75.6 KB) 
[Reply]
Bugeater 09:41 PM 05-10-2020
We finally got out of the house yesterday for a road trip to Ledges State Park in Iowa. It's a very cool place, and if you drive down Canyon Road there you cross the creek 4 or 5 times along the way.

Also, a couple years back Iowanian talked about the "Freedom Rocks" in Iowa.

https://www.thefreedomrock.com/iowa-fr-tour/

Since then I've visited and photographed around a couple dozen of them, but somehow the original Freedom Rock, just outside of Des Moines, eluded me. First time I tried to visit it, it was just before Memorial Day and the guy who does them apparently repaints it every year for the holiday and when I arrived at it, it was plain white....

Next attempt was last summer, and it turns out the bridge 1/4 mile before it was being replaced. Undaunted, I tried several other routes to get to it but gave up after about 45 min because it was getting dark.

Yesterday, on the 3rd attempt, I finally saw it and was awed by it. Just amazing this guy can do this type of work on such an uneven surface. This one is also about twice as large as any of the others.

And lastly, 'cause I love me some bridge pics, a couple of the Kate Shelley High Bridge outside of Boone, IA.

[Reply]
srvy 11:25 PM 05-10-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
We finally got out of the house yesterday for a road trip to Ledges State Park in Iowa. It's a very cool place, and if you drive down Canyon Road there you cross the creek 4 or 5 times along the way.

Also, a couple years back Iowanian talked about the "Freedom Rocks" in Iowa.

https://www.thefreedomrock.com/iowa-fr-tour/

Since then I've visited and photographed around a couple dozen of them, but somehow the original Freedom Rock, just outside of Des Moines, eluded me. First time I tried to visit it, it was just before Memorial Day and the guy who does them apparently repaints it every year for the holiday and when I arrived at it, it was plain white....

Next attempt was last summer, and it turns out the bridge 1/4 mile before it was being replaced. Undaunted, I tried several other routes to get to it but gave up after about 45 min because it was getting dark.

Yesterday, on the 3rd attempt, I finally saw it and was awed by it. Just amazing this guy can do this type of work on such an uneven surface. This one is also about twice as large as any of the others.

And lastly, 'cause I love me some bridge pics, a couple of the Kate Shelley High Bridge outside of Boone, IA.

I am always amazed by those old bridges still in use. Those rivets were amazing for their day.
[Reply]
Bugeater 11:31 PM 05-10-2020
Actually that bridge isn't currently in use, its replacement is right next to it. There has to be a reason it was left there, not sure what that reason would be because I don't see it being repurposed like the nearby High Trestle Bridge since railroads aren't too keen on recreational trails in close proximity to busy lines.
[Reply]
srvy 11:48 PM 05-10-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Actually that bridge isn't currently in use, its replacement is right next to it. There has to be a reason it was left there, not sure what that reason would be because I don't see it being repurposed like the nearby High Trestle Bridge since railroads aren't too keen on recreational trails in close proximity to busy lines.
Yeah I could see the new bridge next to it and those concrete piers wont last near as long as the old iron rivet bridge.

In KC many RR bridges just like it take rail cars over Missouri River still. The old ASB bridge still handles rail they removed the public transportation Deck over top the rails back in the 80 and built the Heart Of America Bride right next to it.
[Reply]
BigRichard 07:09 AM 05-11-2020
The wife and I have been doing some hiking in the North Carolina mountains and we have got some good pictures of some waterfalls I would like to share. I also included a couple of bonus pictures. You will notice the top one has a lot more green in it. That is one from this weekend. The other ones were just prior to the lock down so all the trees are still not yet green.

[Reply]
Otter 01:56 PM 05-11-2020
Working (as much as possible) from PA and found this little gem I purchased on eBay many moons ago in the attic. I'm guessing it's cast iron because it has some weight to it for it's size.

Poked around on the web and couldn't find a duplicate. Might have appreciated in worth.

It's a shitty pic, I know.
Attached: IMG_0388.jpg (77.8 KB) 
[Reply]
Rain Man 01:58 PM 05-11-2020
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
The wife and I have been doing some hiking in the North Carolina mountains and we have got some good pictures of some waterfalls I would like to share. I also included a couple of bonus pictures. You will notice the top one has a lot more green in it. That is one from this weekend. The other ones were just prior to the lock down so all the trees are still not yet green.
That third one is a pretty big waterfalll.
[Reply]
BigRichard 04:04 PM 05-11-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
That third one is a pretty big waterfalll.
With a not so original name, it is called High Falls in Dupont Forest.
[Reply]
RedRaider56 05-11-2020, 08:03 PM
This message has been deleted by RedRaider56.
RedRaider56 05-11-2020, 08:08 PM
This message has been deleted by RedRaider56. Reason: need to take name off pictures
RedRaider56 08:23 PM 05-11-2020

[Reply]
Bugeater 08:29 PM 05-11-2020
The name is still on the pics...:-)
[Reply]
Stryker 08:47 PM 05-11-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Oh, fun. Nice photographs so far. That bugeater bridge at night is pretty amazing.

I'm not a good photographer, so my best photos are about interesting subjects. Here's a fun one that I took inside Abu Simbel in Egypt, and a picture of me standing between the Colossi of Memnon on that same trip. And another one of the Great Pyramid.
Holy shit! You lucky SOB! That is awesome.
[Reply]
Page 14 of 27
« First < 41011121314 1516171824 > Last »
Up