ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 70
« First < 23456 789101656 > Last »
Media Center>Star Trek Picard
Frazod 11:27 AM 06-20-2018
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/star-...in-development

Star Trek: The Next Generation Reboot With Patrick Stewart Reportedly in Development

Rumors of the Picard-centric reboot come amid Alex Kurtzman extending his CBS contract for a planned expansion of the Star Trek TV universe.

According to a THR article, there are unconfirmed rumors that CBS TV Studios is developing a Star Trek reboot starring Patrick Stewart in which he would reprise his The Next Generation role as Captain Jean-Luc Picard. According to THR's sources, Alex Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman are attached to the potential reboot. Not only is this an unconfirmed project, but THR's sources also say that the deal is far from complete and might not happen. Still, this would be huge news for Star Trek fandom—however you might feel about a Picard-centric reboot.

The rumors of the Picard reboot come amidst Kurtzman renewing his overall deal with CBS Television Studios, extending his contract by five years. This will keep him in partnership with the studio through 2023, for a reported $5 million per year.

Kurtzman was recently made sole showrunner of Star Trek: Discovery following the dismissal of previous co-showrunners Aaron Harberts and Gretchen Berg who left amidst reports of bullying behavior in the writers room. Goldsman, who served as an executive producer on Season 1 of Discovery, also left the show, reportedly due to a clash with the writing staff in terms of management style and personality, so it's interesting that he is still attached to the potential Picard-centric reboot.

In addition to his work on Star Trek: Discovery, Kurtzman's extended deal with CBS Television Studios will include an expansion of the Star Trek franchise on the small screen, including the development of new series, miniseries, and other content, including animation.

While this generally seems like good news for the Star Trek universe, it may also be disappointing, depending on what kind of Star Trek fan you are. While the move represents a reinvestment in the Star Trek TV universe, Kurtzman is not known for critical success. Previously, he has co-written the scripts for Transformers, Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness, and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. More recently, he directed and co-wrote The Mummy. Not exactly the kind of nuanced science fiction writing Star Trek has, at its best, historically represented.

More news on the expanded Star Trek TV universe as we hear it.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 08:33 PM 05-23-2019
Is this set on Earth or in space?
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:46 PM 05-23-2019
there are TWO LIGHTS

[Reply]
Bowser 11:30 PM 05-23-2019
Admiral

"You led us out of the darkness. You commanded the greatest rescue armada in history"

I'm in. I was always in for this, really, but I'm legit curious to hear about Picard's story post TNG.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 08:07 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Admiral

"You led us out of the darkness. You commanded the greatest rescue armada in history"

I'm in. I was always in for this, really, but I'm legit curious to hear about Picard's story post TNG.
I got misty just with that tiny bit of clip. I'm 100% down for this show.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 04:46 AM 05-25-2019
One of the few shows I would watch, bring back Picard!
[Reply]
cabletech94 05:50 AM 05-25-2019
god damnit im in.

even if i have to pay for premium CBS tv, which is total bullshit btw......
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 12:44 PM 05-25-2019
Originally Posted by cabletech94:
god damnit im in.

even if i have to pay for premium CBS tv, which is total bullshit btw......
Pay for CBS All Access through a Prime Account.

CBS's streaming platform is that bad.
[Reply]
listopencil 11:37 AM 06-23-2019

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 06:42 PM 06-23-2019
Did they really fuck this up?
[Reply]
Frazod 07:09 PM 06-23-2019
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Did they really fuck this up?
Does that really surprise you? Abrams has fucked up everything he's touched regarding Star Trek and Star Wars.

At this point the only think I want to see is more Pike, and none of these turds are even talking about it.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 08:45 AM 06-24-2019
I think Star Trek has run it's course. I don't think the current writers even have a clue as to what the show was really about. It's just another CGI action fest.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 11:18 AM 06-24-2019
To be fair, Alex Kurtzman is a turd.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:16 PM 07-18-2019
https://ew.com/tv/2019/07/18/star-tr...ard-storyline/

Star Trek: Picard producer reveals 7 new details about series
By James Hibberd July 18, 2019 at 09:52 AM EDT

Star Trek: Picard team is pulling back the veil on the upcoming series that returns Patrick Stewart to role he played for seven seasons on the 1990s syndicated hit series Star Trek: The Next Generation and in four feature films.

Executive producer Alex Kurtzman and showrunner Michael Chabon gave EW some new hints about Jean-Luc Picard’s journey in the upcoming CBS All-Access series. Until now, the only teaser has shown Picard in retirement at his family’s vineyard in France and included a cryptic voiceover suggesting the admiral left Starfleet after he led an armada on a rescue mission to the doomed planet Romulus.

Here are seven things we learned:

1. Yes, Picard is going back into space. Strangely enough for a Trek series, nothing space-y has yet been shown regarding the new show, which has entirely terrestrial marketing images so far. Even our basic questions like, “Can you at least say if the show is set on a spaceship?” were dodged when we asked the producers. But Kurtzman confirms the new Star Trek will live up to its name. “Events began to unfold that conspire to take Picard back to the stars,” Kurtzman says.

2. But that doesn’t mean Picard is returning to Starfleet. “He will [go to space],” Kurtzman adds, “but not in a way that anyone expects.” What does that mean? It sounds like Picard won’t simply get drafted back into commanding a starship — especially considering what Kurtzman reveals next.

3. Picard seeks to fight a specific injustice, yet won’t have his usual resources. “Because he’s no longer in Starfleet, he no longer carries the weight of that behind him,” Kurtzman says. “In some ways, it’s easier to be [a great man] when you’re a captain. But it’s an entirely different thing when you don’t have an army behind you. When you want to get something done and fight an injustice, how do you do that when you’re really only one man?”

4. His quest will be a serialized story in the first season, unlike the episodic The Next Generation. “Which isn’t necessarily new for Star Trek,” Chabon said, noting that Discovery is often serialized too, “but that is new for Picard.”

5. Picard is “haunted” and older but fundamentally remains the same character. “There are many things that haunt Picard,” Kurtzman teases, adding the ill-fated Romulus mission is just one of those things. And Chabon notes the series will incorporate that the character is a different age. “He’s a lot older and we’re not shying away from that at all — we’re dealing with a man who’s in a very different place in his life,” Chabon says. Yet at the same time, Picard will still be the man you know and love. “It was terribly important to us that he remains fundamentally Picard,” Kurtzman says. “You will not see a version that betrays the man we loved from Next Generation. We’re not doing that. But we wanted to put a character with that level of morality and leadership and who always does the right thing no matter how hard the circumstances … we wanted to put that to the test.”

6. Other Next Generation actor appearances are not being ruled out. The producers just want to make sure they’re not, you know, cheesy. “What we don’t want to do is just throw in cameos,” Kurtzman says. “There would have to be an incredibly specific story reason [for them to be there].” Former Next Gen star Jonathan Frakes was previously announced as directing two episodes in the first season, but there’s no word if he appears on camera. The show’s new regular cast members (Alison Pill, Michelle Hurd, Evan Evagora, Isa Briones, Santiago Cabrera, and Harry Treadaway) are not playing any familiar Next Gen characters, Kurtzman confirms.

7. Stewart as Picard is better than you’ve ever seen him. “The quality of Patrick’s acting, if anything, has gotten even better over time and he was already a master,” Chabon says. “He has an ability to hold you riveted even when he’s just sitting and listening.” Naturally. Picard is always at his best when he looks … engaged.
[Reply]
Bowser 10:31 PM 07-18-2019
I'm legit excited for this. Hope it delivers.
[Reply]
Mennonite 02:23 PM 07-19-2019
I would love for this to not suck, but Trek has been mostly shit since DS9 went off the air. I'll still give it a shot though.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 70
« First < 23456 789101656 > Last »
Up