ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Media Center>I'm going to say it: Everybody Loves Raymond is not funny
Pitt Gorilla 11:55 AM 08-21-2009
I don't get it. I tried to like it, but I don't find it remotely funny. The characters are not likable (aside from maybe Robert or Deb) and the "staring quietly = funny" schtick never got off the ground with me.

I tend to watch shows as reruns and began watching Raymond at the gym (it's usually on when I'm there). I've seen many of the episodes several times, and I still don't enjoy the show much.

What am I missing? I know I'm missing something because it was incredibly popular for years. It's like According to Jim without pretty girls and fat guys.

Help appreciated.
[Reply]
Thig Lyfe 03:55 PM 08-21-2009
You're a regular Brad Garrett.
[Reply]
Frazod 04:04 PM 08-21-2009
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
I admired and enjoyed Frasier, don't know if I laughed as much at it as I did other shows.

Kind of like how people say 'some like it hot' is the greatest comedy ever made. Sure it's well written and stands up over time, but not really an all time gut buster.
I'd rate WKRP as a bit better, but not by much.
[Reply]
KCChiefsMan 04:05 PM 08-21-2009
the thing I love about Seinfeld is that they take situations that annoy most people, but most people never say anything about it. But in Seinfeld they take an annoying situation and dramatize it a bit.
[Reply]
Skip Towne 04:14 PM 08-21-2009
Robert and the dad are ok. I like King of Queens much better.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 05:28 PM 08-21-2009
Originally Posted by Brock:
I would the whole thing!
Yeah but do you that's the one?
[Reply]
007 11:19 PM 08-21-2009
Originally Posted by GoChiefs:
Yeah but do you that's the one?
Ever since you changed your avatar I feel like you are yelling everything you post. :-)
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 05:29 AM 08-22-2009
Originally Posted by Guru:
Ever since you changed your avatar I feel like you are yelling everything you post. :-)
WHAT?!?!
[Reply]
JD10367 05:34 AM 08-22-2009
Ray Romano is annoying.

Peter Boyle was great. RIP.

The mother was okay, just playing her character.

Brad Garrett's pretty funny, good Muppett-style facial expressions. And he's also a funny and filthy stand-up comedian, so he's got that going for him (a lot like Bob Saget).

The highlight of the show, of course, was Patricia "Cougar" Heaton. Man, she looks like a wild f**k. :-) I wanna make a sandwich with her and Leah Remini from "King Of Queens", with me as the meat. :-)
[Reply]
Fairplay 03:06 PM 08-22-2009
I tried to watch the show and get into it. But i just wasn't impressed.

I didn't think it was very funny. The Home Improvement show was another comedy i tried to get into to also. I don't find Tim Allen humorous at all. I detest him in movies.
[Reply]
kcxiv 10:34 PM 08-22-2009
Hehe, when i was having health issues a few years ago. I had nothing but tons of time. So i watched like every season of this. I liked it. I think Robert and the Dad were the reason though. They were great characters.
[Reply]
cdcox 10:56 PM 08-22-2009
ELR is an old-school sit com. My folks love that show and Frazier but wouldn't like shows like Arrested Development or The Office. I think it is more of a generational thing. For what it is, it is pretty well done, but in comparison to its contemporaries, it is a throwback.

I've watched maybe a dozen episodes when visiting my folks. If I watched it consistenetly, I could get to the point of saying that I liked it. It's not a bad show.
[Reply]
Fish 11:50 PM 08-22-2009
I've never seen a single episode of Everybody Loves Raymond.
[Reply]
kcxiv 12:04 AM 08-23-2009
Originally Posted by cdcox:
ELR is an old-school sit com. My folks love that show and Frazier but wouldn't like shows like Arrested Development or The Office. I think it is more of a generational thing. For what it is, it is pretty well done, but in comparison to its contemporaries, it is a throwback.

I've watched maybe a dozen episodes when visiting my folks. If I watched it consistenetly, I could get to the point of saying that I liked it. It's not a bad show.
I think that generation stuff is bullshit. I liked old sitcomes like All in the Family, even further back to shows like Dennis the Menace and Leave it to Beaver. Then i liked shows from the 80's as well. I liked a few of the 90's , but to get honest, i didnt watch much tv in the 90's it was my teen and early 20's years. So i was out and about partying. NOw that i am in my 30's i am watching tv again and enjoy shows from this generation
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 08:16 AM 01-21-2022
I still watch ELR reruns. The show is hilarious. The cast is great. Everyone has amazing chemistry. It is an accurate portrayal of family dynamics. My mother can't even watch it because Marie is a carbon copy of her mother-in-law. Frank and Robert deliver a joke with the best of them.

The weakest episodes are the ones with the kids. They weren't good actors.

It certainly isn't a pleasant show at times. But they keep enough sentiment that you don't hate the characters. Which is something many sitcoms forget.
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 11:26 AM 01-21-2022
King of Queens is way better.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Up