ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Media Center>I'm going to say it: Everybody Loves Raymond is not funny
Pitt Gorilla 11:55 AM 08-21-2009
I don't get it. I tried to like it, but I don't find it remotely funny. The characters are not likable (aside from maybe Robert or Deb) and the "staring quietly = funny" schtick never got off the ground with me.

I tend to watch shows as reruns and began watching Raymond at the gym (it's usually on when I'm there). I've seen many of the episodes several times, and I still don't enjoy the show much.

What am I missing? I know I'm missing something because it was incredibly popular for years. It's like According to Jim without pretty girls and fat guys.

Help appreciated.
[Reply]
KCChiefsMan 03:07 PM 08-21-2009
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
I thought about that angle as well, and I'm not sure I entirely agree. While the Seinfeld characters were supposed to be unlikable (by others around them), they really weren't. In fact, one could imagine being in that environment (among the four) and having a great time. I would argue that it is often the people who strongly dislike them that come off as "unlikable" (think Timmy and the chip or George's "in-laws"). Similarly with the office; it's characters like Dwight and Andy that make work survivable and fun. Carrell's character might not be "fun" in real life in that you might lose your place of work, but otherwise he would be fun (if eye-roll-worthy).

Larry David is incredibly unlikable on his show (and in real life?), no way around that one. However, he IS incredibly funny. If you watch him in an interview, everything that comes out of his mouth is genius. He is funny. Ray is not.
yes I agree, Larry David is a comic genius.
[Reply]
007 03:10 PM 08-21-2009
I own the series. All win for me. This show cracks me up. Also, I'm with Clatyon on this. Peter Boyle MAKES this show. HOLY CRAP!!!

Debra was good to look at as well. heh
[Reply]
007 03:11 PM 08-21-2009
Originally Posted by frazod:
I felt the same way about Seinfeld. I just thought they were nasty, self-absorbed New York assholes.
I could never get into Seinfeld. It would make me laugh every now and then but I always felt it was just complete dumbassery that depicted New Yorkers in a horrible light.
[Reply]
Otter 03:17 PM 08-21-2009
I agree. It's not funny.
[Reply]
Fish 03:17 PM 08-21-2009
I have to admit, I thought Frazier was an outstanding sitcom. The writing was absolutely brilliant at times. The high brow humor was always well executed. And Daphne was hot in a dirty ditzy Brit girl way.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 03:20 PM 08-21-2009
Originally Posted by KC Fish:
I have to admit, I thought Frazier was an outstanding sitcom. The writing was absolutely brilliant at times. The high brow humor was always well executed. And Daphne was hot in a dirty ditzy Brit girl way.
Well, yeah (to all of the above).
[Reply]
Baby Lee 03:27 PM 08-21-2009
I appreciate the commentary, BL, as we tend to have similar takes on TV (although yours seem much more informed). I suppose part of the problem is that I can't identify with the characters. Ray likes to play golf, often at the expense of responsibilities to his wife and children. Granted, I know people like that, but it still isn't funny; it's sad. The mother's Aunt Bee-like arrogance (probably a bad comparison, but I disliked her in much the same way) is similarly aggravating. As previously noted, I liked the Deborah and Robert characters the best, but that isn't saying much.

Peter Boyle was far too talented to be in that cast.
Between this and the remarks on Curb and Seinfeld, I sense that you find more humor in an highly intelligent a-hole who makes reasonable explanations for his a-holishness getting guff for his acts than an insensitive Joe Schmo getting chided for his shortcomings.

Like I said initially

Originally Posted by :
I'd guess the amount of humor you find in that is primarily how much you can identify with or directly recall the same sorts of situations in your own family dynamic, with a decent portion of how much you find humor in the misery of others.

[Reply]
Buns 03:28 PM 08-21-2009
I'm watching it right now. been hooked the last several months. I have a thing for Debra. Peter Boyle and Doris Roberts do in fact steal the show, but some of my favorite scenes involve Brad Garrett and Ray. I'm just into this kind of uncomfortable humor.

CBS has been pretty on-par with their comedies. Two and a Half Men, Big Bang Theory, Old Christine isn't too bad, How I Met Your Mother not too bad, King of Queens usually good. I even catch Still Standing on late night syndication.
[Reply]
Frazod 03:31 PM 08-21-2009
Originally Posted by KC Fish:
Frazier is about as good as it gets. WKRP, Night Court and Cheers are up there as well. And of course the first three season of M*A*S*H, although the series sucked overall because it was so awful toward the end.
[Reply]
007 03:32 PM 08-21-2009
Originally Posted by iChief702:
I'm watching it right now. been hooked the last several months. I have a thing for Debra. Peter Boyle and Doris Roberts do in fact steal the show, but some of my favorite scenes involve Brad Garrett and Ray. I'm just into this kind of uncomfortable humor.

CBS has been pretty on-par with their comedies. Two and a Half Men, Big Bang Theory, Old Christine isn't too bad, How I Met Your Mother not too bad, King of Queens usually good. I even catch Still Standing on late night syndication.
I love how Garrett can steal a seen with just one word or a laugh to close a scene out. Funny as hell.
[Reply]
KevB 03:33 PM 08-21-2009
I liked ELR quite a bit. It certainly wasn't cutting edge....a bit like comfort food. You knew what you were going to get, the humor was similar from show to show and if you could relate then all the better. I think Ray's a reasonably funny guy all in all. Wife and I saw his standup in KC and it was pretty decent. His kid bits hit home, so that's probably the connection for us. That said, Peter Boyle and Brad Garrett were the stars of the show on ELR.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 03:34 PM 08-21-2009
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Between this and the remarks on Curb and Seinfeld, I sense that you find more humor in an highly intelligent a-hole who makes reasonable explanations for his a-holishness getting guff for his acts than an insensitive Joe Schmo getting chided for his shortcomings.

Like I said initially
I don't know. Carrell isn't (portrayed as) intelligent and I'm not sure Seinfeld (George) is either. In fact, I think I do like "dumb" characters (Tracy Jordan, Kenneth, GOB, George, Travis Junior, etc.). As previously noted, may tastes probably don't make a lick of sense. I do enjoy quality writing, though.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 03:52 PM 08-21-2009
I don't know. Carrell isn't (portrayed as) intelligent and I'm not sure Seinfeld (George) is either. In fact, I think I do like "dumb" characters (Tracy Jordan, Kenneth, GOB, George, Travis Junior, etc.). As previously noted, may tastes probably don't make a lick of sense. I do enjoy quality writing, though.
I wasn't suggesting Ray was dumb, but a regular guy. Suggests that he's portraying a realistic enough character that it irks you when he's not sensitive to Debra or attentive to the kids.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 03:53 PM 08-21-2009
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
I wasn't suggesting Ray was dumb, but a regular guy. Suggests that he's portraying a realistic enough character that it irks you when he's not sensitive to Debra or attentive to the kids.
THAT I can buy. Although, I certainly don't think that is the only reason I don't like the show.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 03:54 PM 08-21-2009
Originally Posted by frazod:
Frazier is about as good as it gets. WKRP, Night Court and Cheers are up there as well. And of course the first three season of M*A*S*H, although the series sucked overall because it was so awful toward the end.
I admired and enjoyed Frasier, don't know if I laughed as much at it as I did other shows.

Kind of like how people say 'some like it hot' is the greatest comedy ever made. Sure it's well written and stands up over time, but not really an all time gut buster.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up