ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Nzoner's Game Room>Which School Cuts the Best Cheese???
gblowfish 06:41 PM 01-25-2022
A friend of mine put up a picture on Facebook of a 1 lb can of white cheddar cheese he bought from Washington State's Dairy School. He paid $27 plus shipping! That seems a little extreme to me.

Many years ago, I visited a good friend of mine who lived in Madison, Wisconsin. He took me to their dairy store on campus where they had Bucky Badger Ice Cream and various cheeses. It was outstanding.

I know University of Nebraska sells a variety cheese box online. There you get six or eight different varieties, a two pound box for around $30 and shipping.

You cheesers, have any recommendations on what school makes the best cheese you can buy online? I'm feeling a bit peckish...
[Reply]
Graystoke 12:41 PM 01-26-2022
That Beaver Reserve looks pretty good. But if your price shopping Cougar Gold has 30oz vs Beaver Reserve at 6.4oz.
Something about the 30oz metal can of cheese that stacks well and ages in your fridge.
[Reply]
gblowfish 12:45 PM 01-26-2022
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
UW-River Falls makes THE BEST cheese curds. If you bought any while the Chiefs practiced there-you know what I mean.

Salty, squeaky, cheesy.

Not sending now---but Oh yeah...

https://www.uwrf.edu/ANFS/FalconFoods/Index.cfm
They're "closed for renovations." Guess they miss out on that NFL money...
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 12:56 PM 01-26-2022
Dammit gblowfish I was gonna pull the trigger, first on OSU's option (it occurs to me that the cow-waste aroma you get in Corvallis would apply to dairy just as much as beef), but they want 14 bucks shipping!

Then I went to the MSU site and all their jalapeno varieties are sold out...

I'm getting blue curds over here, but there are more links to try....
[Reply]
gblowfish 12:58 PM 01-26-2022
I think you can get very high quality cheese at Hy-Vee or Hen House, but the University stuff is supposed to be some of the very best in the USA.
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 01:03 PM 01-26-2022
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
I think you can get very high quality cheese at Hy-Vee or Hen House, but the University stuff is supposed to be some of the very best in the USA.
I read the copy on OSU's website and I am a believer. I never would have put cheese and college together before this, so very good thread.

They get downright scientific about it. From that site:
The flagship brand of Beaver Classic, the cheeses are the first venture product made by our students with milk from our cows in our state-of-the-art Arbuthnot Dairy Center. Since 2012, Beaver Classic cheese has been a staple in the teaching, research and Extension service of the Food Science and Technology department’s dairy program. These award-winning cheeses are also available at the Corvallis Farmers Market, several local retail locations, and select restaurants throughout the Willamette Valley."
"

ETA: this also shows why I hadnt heard of it. 2012 was after my time there! Frosty wouldnt have known either.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 01:43 PM 01-26-2022
They're "closed for renovations." Guess they miss out on that NFL money...
I have not been in RF for a while, or that side of the city. I dont get any info from UWRF either. I did my masters there.
[Reply]
gblowfish 03:58 PM 01-26-2022
Here is Missouri we have Osceola Cheese. Used to stop there in the old days when I went to Arkansas to see my folks, or went to Springfield. Good selection, and they also make jerky and summer sausages. https://osceolacheese.com/
[Reply]
htismaqe 04:03 PM 01-26-2022
Here is Missouri we have Osceola Cheese. Used to stop there in the old days when I went to Arkansas to see my folks, or went to Springfield. Good selection, and they also make jerky and summer sausages. https://osceolacheese.com/
We stop there all the time on the way back from Branson. Fun place, the kids loved it when they were younger. Now we just get snacks and get back on the road.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 04:06 PM 01-26-2022
Love that place...was just there a couple weeks ago. Still have one small block of smoky swiss left.

The university cheese thing is new to me.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up