ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Nzoner's Game Room>Downtown breweries any good?
wheeler08 05:04 PM 01-25-2022
I searched because I would have assumed this has been discussed, but results came up empty. Are the breweries downtown or anything in power and light district any good? Wife and are driving 11 hours Saturday and we love to hit up local breweries when coming to a new town. Yelp has great reviews for about all of them downtown. Thought I’d ask the planeteers their opinion!

Opinions on best places to eat in same area?
[Reply]
stanleychief 08:50 PM 01-25-2022
Originally Posted by phisherman:
Good catch on that one. That's different from last year (2020) when they released a base stout and then a bunch of individual adjunct treatments. The first plain batch was the best. The Coconut variant tasted like Coppertone sun tan lotion.

Not many great BA stouts around town if you're into the classic big dogs. Ursa is pretty good and I'm glad that it got brought over from McCoy's. BKS did Derelection last year which was very good. Alma Mader is releasing one at some point this year, not sure when though. I was just bugging Nick about this on Saturday. I know Cinder Block releases Black Squirrel yearly but I've never cared for it. Too much of that musty oak funk.
The first barrel aged stout I had (as probably did a lot of people) was BCS. The first year it hit the KC market, nobody knew what it was and it was super easy to get 4-packs of it around town. It used to have this light, but delightful butterscotch flavor on the finish. Black Squirrel used to have that when it was first released too. I feel like Black Squirrel and BCS get a little more mild each year. The bourbon flavor doesn't come through quite as much anymore.

My favorite beer there currently is their Wheat Wine. If you aren't a fan of the oak funk, it might not be your cup of tea. The bourbon and barrel flavors definitely shine through though. It's unique and worth a taster if nothing else.

I'll keep an eye out for Alma's BA stout. It's sort of nice that some release early and some release late in the season. Keeps them around for a good part of the year these days.
[Reply]
wheeler08 09:32 PM 01-25-2022
I’ve never been downtown before. Can I drive and park at these places or what’s the best way to get around. Might only have time to hit 2 or 3
[Reply]
phisherman 09:50 PM 01-25-2022
Originally Posted by wheeler08:
I’ve never been downtown before. Can I drive and park at these places or what’s the best way to get around. Might only have time to hit 2 or 3
Crossroads Art District is probably your best bet. Torn Label, City Barrel, Emperial, Double Shift, Border, Nimbus and Casual Animal are all within a half mile of each other as the crow flies. KC Wineworks is also down there as well as Restless Spirits and Tom's Town if you're feeling like cocktails instead of beers.
[Reply]
stanleychief 12:01 AM 01-26-2022
Here's a map of the most of the places in Crossroads that have been mentioned. As you can see, all of them are pretty close.

[Click to see full image]

Green Lady Lounge is also right in the neighborhood. They have great cocktails and live jazz.
[Reply]
chiefsfan11 12:21 PM 01-26-2022
Question:
1st time coming to Arrowhead from Kentucky, are there places within a mile of the stadium to park or should I just buy a parking pass? I am concerned about waiting for hours trying to get out of the parking lots around the stadium. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
[Reply]
DrunkBassGuitar 12:24 PM 01-26-2022
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
The Peanut downtown have the best wings you may ever have, but when I was there in November it was over an hour wait due to staff shortages.

Beer selection sucks but the wings are legit.

Pro tip: if you hit The Peanut for wings, they're whole, so 6 is 12 at low quality places

the peanut's wings are very good but you do have to wait for them even on a good day

order an appetizer or something to tide you over

e: tie you over?
[Reply]
DrunkBassGuitar 12:25 PM 01-26-2022
Originally Posted by stanleychief:
Here's a map of the most of the places in Crossroads that have been mentioned. As you can see, all of them are pretty close.

[Click to see full image]

Green Lady Lounge is also right in the neighborhood. They have great cocktails and live jazz.
yeah if you're going to KC hit up a jazz joint, there's a lot of really great jazz clubs in KC and it's lowkey one of the best things you can do while here.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up