ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>2022 free agency safety class:
Direckshun 12:53 AM 01-25-2022
Is looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaded.

Here's the list of "top free agents" from WalterFootball (I know):

Originally Posted by :
4. Marcus Williams, S, Saints. Age: 26.
Marcus Williams has emerged as one of the best safeties in the NFL, and yet he's still in his mid-30s. He'll continue to dominate in the secondary for the next five-plus years.

7. Jessie Bates, S, Bengals. Age: 25.
Jessie Bates is one of the best young safeties in the NFL. He's coming off a bit of a down year, but he should be able to rebound in 2022. He's only 25, so his future is very bright.

13. Quandre Diggs, S, Seahawks. Age: 29.
Quandre Diggs is one of the better safeties in the NFL. He's a well-rounded player, and he still has another year remaining in his 20s.

15. Justin Reid, S, Texans. Age: 25.
Justin Reid tends to be one of the top safeties in the NFL, though he's coming off an unusual down year. He'll certainly rebound, and he's only 25 to boot.

17. Marcus Maye, S, Jets. Age: 28.
Marcus Maye was an exceptional safety in 2020, but took a step backward last year before tearing his Achilles. The injury occurred during the middle of the season, so there's a good chance Maye will be back on the field for the 2022 opener.

18. Jordan Whitehead, S/CB, Buccaneers. Age: 25.
Jordan Whitehead has evolved greatly since being chosen in the fourth round of the 2018 NFL Draft. He's been a stellar defensive back for the Buccaneers, capable of playing safety and cornerback (mostly in the slot). He wasn't even 25 when he closed out his 2021 season.

29. Devin McCourty, S, Patriots. Age: 35.
Devin McCourty has been one of the top safeties in the NFL. However, he's now 35, so major regression will happen at some point in the near future.

36. Jayron Kearse, S, Cowboys. Age: 28.
Jayron Kearse was a surprise performer in 2021. He was a stellar force in the secondary in all regards, particularly in coverage.

39. Tyrann Mathieu, S, Chiefs. Age: 30.
Tyrann Mathieu is not the same dynamic safety from years ago, but he's still strong in coverage. He tends to miss many tackles, however, and he turns 30 this offseason.

58.DeShon Elliott, S, Ravens. Age: 25.
DeShon Elliott played just five games in 2021. The Ravens missed him, as he's a young, well-rounded safety.

65. Tracy Walker, S, Lions. Age: 27.
Tracy Walker was Detroit's best defensive back in 2021, though that's not really saying much. Still, he's a solid safety who has several years remaining in his prime.

71. Bobby McCain, S/CB, Redskins. Age: 29.
Bobby McCain is a solid starting defensive back who can play anywhere in the secondary, including safety, outside cornerback and slot corner.

77. Desmond King, CB/S, Texans. Age: 27.
Desmond King is a quality defensive back capable of playing outside or in the slot, and he can also play safety.

78. Xavier Woods, S, Vikings. Age: 27.
Xavier Woods isn't great in coverage, but he's a great tackler and run-supporting safety.

83. Jaquiski Tartt, S, 49ers. Age: 30.
The "lesser" of the two 49er safeties, Jaquiski Tartt is a big help in run support. He turns 30 this offseason.

91. Kareem Jackson, S, Broncos. Age: 34.
Kareem Jackson has been one of the better safeties in the NFL for years, but he finally showed his age a bit last year. He's now 34, so there could be more regression in the near future.

96. Lamarcus Joyner, S, Jets. Age: 31.
Lamarcus Joyner played only nine snaps in 2021 before tearing his tricep. He'll be healthy in 2022, but at 31, he may lose a step.

107. Jason McCourty, S/CB, Dolphins. Age: 35.
The usually reliable Jason McCourty struggled through a foot injury last year before being placed on injured reserve. He turns 35 just prior to the 2022 season.
Thoughts?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:24 AM 02-01-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
This is me, dog.

I'm going to run a full offseason, including mock draft, cuts, FA signings, extensions, etc. at some point, maybe today.

Ogbah or Derek Barnett would be a great add, and you pair that with Melvin Ingram or Charles Harris (who really shined with the Lions this year, the first year he's been used primarily as a 3-point stance, weakside DE).
I look forward to it. :-)
[Reply]
kcbubb 09:26 AM 02-01-2022
This is me, dog.

I'm going to run a full offseason, including mock draft, cuts, FA signings, extensions, etc. at some point, maybe today.

Ogbah or Derek Barnett would be a great add, and you pair that with Melvin Ingram or Charles Harris (who really shined with the Lions this year, the first year he's been used primarily as a 3-point stance, weakside DE).
Our d only gets better with a dominant d line. A pretty good dline isn’t good enough. Look at the rams. They went all out to make the dline dominant. You either sack the qb or you don’t. I’d rather spend a ton on the dline and a little everywhere else. We can’t draft help on the dline that will make a difference next year.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:31 AM 02-01-2022
Originally Posted by kcbubb:
Our d only gets better with a dominant d line. A pretty good dline isn’t good enough. Look at the rams. They went all out to make the dline dominant. You either sack the qb or you don’t. I’d rather spend a ton on the dline and a little everywhere else. We can’t draft help on the dline that will make a difference next year.
I agree, but that doesn't necessarily mean you have to have ONE 15 sack guy.

Two or three 8 or 9 sack guys are just as good if not better. Maybe better, because you're DEEPER and can rotate guys to keep them fresh for late in the game.

The double digit sack guys are EXPENSIVE. The next tier, not so much. And Ingram will not be expensive at this point in his career, but I was pretty impressed with the impact he has even when he's not racking up stats. So if you bring back Ingram, and you add an Ogbah-who had twice the production of Clark at half the money, you still have enough to maybe sign a DT with some pass rush ability, and now you've upgraded all across the line for what we pay Clark. And you should get more consistent results.

It's not all about ONE star. You need a few good, consistent players.
[Reply]
Hoover 10:25 AM 02-01-2022
Two please....
[Reply]
staylor26 11:34 AM 02-01-2022
I think Williams is going to be too expensive.

Give me Whitehead.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:36 AM 02-01-2022
This is me, dog.

I’ve got one in the works and Barnett is on my FA list.
[Reply]
kcbubb 05:24 PM 02-01-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:

The double digit sack guys are EXPENSIVE.
How much more expensive is chandler Jones than ogbah? The estimates I saw were $16M for chandler and $11M for ogbah. Give me chandler for that type of difference. I’d rather get a cheap safety & a cheap WR and still sign or draft a DT. But, yes, I’d be in favor of adding a lot of talent to the dline.

Add a star to pair with chris Jones like chandler and we got a top 10 defense that wins the Super Bowl.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:12 PM 02-01-2022
Originally Posted by kcbubb:
How much more expensive is chandler Jones than ogbah? The estimates I saw were $16M for chandler and $11M for ogbah. Give me chandler for that type of difference. I’d rather get a cheap safety & a cheap WR and still sign or draft a DT. But, yes, I’d be in favor of adding a lot of talent to the dline.

Add a star to pair with chris Jones like chandler and we got a top 10 defense that wins the Super Bowl.
you want to pay $5 million for 1.5 sacks?

I'd rather sign Ogbah for $11m, and a DT with some pass rush ability for $5m, like Maliek Collins. See? I filled two holes with quality players for the same money.

Don't fall in love with names. Production value is the key.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:13 PM 02-01-2022
Originally Posted by staylor26:
I think Williams is going to be too expensive.

Give me Whitehead.
I'd be good with that. He's kind of a Honey Badger clone, really.
[Reply]
Nightfyre 06:19 PM 02-01-2022
Landon Collins seems a likely cut from the WFT. He is a perfect replacement to fill Sorenson's role in the D and should get a hard look, imo.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:46 PM 02-01-2022
Originally Posted by Nightfyre:
Landon Collins seems a likely cut from the WFT. He is a perfect replacement to fill Sorenson's role in the D and should get a hard look, imo.
If Spags likes him, it'll happen. He was productive for Spags in NY.
[Reply]
staylor26 06:55 PM 02-01-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I'd be good with that. He's kind of a Honey Badger clone, really.
Except he doesn’t make business decisions.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up