ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>LB stuff
Chris Meck 10:43 AM 01-09-2022
wasn't sure where to post this, but I noticed this week and last that they've started moving Gay from Will to SAM from play to play, sometimes as a pre-snap move.

He originally worked at SAM last year, but with Bolton's emergence, they'd been putting Bolton at SAM when Hitchens is in the lineup and usually Gay stays at Will other than 3rd down (when we put Niemann and Sorensen in. WTF?!).

But it seems that Spags is now moving him around to make best use of his speed and physicality.

Just thought it was interesting is all.

I would think next year, Hitchens is gone, Bolton's your MLB, and we'd need a SAM, but honestly that's the easiest of the three spots to fill.

However, if your SAM was a Gay-type physical specimen (hahahahaha) it would make for another interesting chess piece.
[Reply]
kccrow 06:47 PM 01-10-2022
Originally Posted by Nightfyre:
My take is that you don't even need a traditional Will when you have a Willy Gay and play three safety nickel packages all game. Bolton plus Gay plus whatever safety linebacker tweener you have should get the job done and allow for maximum scheme flexibility. Hitchens is an obvious cap casualty.
They play Sorensen and Niemann in lieu of a traditional WIL because they don't have one. Sorensen sucks ass and Niemann leaves alot to be desired. It really has nothing to do with Gay because he's the one coming off the field for those two.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:34 PM 01-10-2022
Originally Posted by kccrow:
They play Sorensen and Niemann in lieu of a traditional WIL because they don't have one. Sorensen sucks ass and Niemann leaves alot to be desired. It really has nothing to do with Gay because he's the one coming off the field for those two.
I think it's possible that they don't entirely trust Gay with full coverage responsibilities, although I think he's done well there, and has the speed and athleticism, just perhaps not the experience.

I think WILL, as in weakside Linebacker is the perfect spot for his abilities. He can do so much more than a typical SAM.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:06 AM 01-11-2022
I'm now intrigued by Dean at LB. You could almost remove Sorenson and Niemann from the mix on this defense with him as your 3rd LB with Bolton and Gay.
[Reply]
CatfishBob2 01:25 PM 01-13-2022
There's no way Dean is there when we pick but if he is in
I'm running to the podium, even though I'm absolutely opposed LB with our first
[Reply]
CoMoChief 02:33 PM 01-13-2022
Dean would be awesome. Dude's a player.

Doubt he's at Chiefs selection though.
[Reply]
O.city 02:40 PM 01-13-2022
Get another athletic LB'er and let them all play together. Positionless football is the thing now.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 01:38 PM 01-14-2022
Speaking of LB, how we feeling about Gay? I admittedly missed a lot of games this year, but compared to Bolton he seems to have been just okay even though he is in year 2. He doesn’t seem to be getting any talk outside of KC.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:57 PM 01-14-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I'd rather move on.

I just think it's time for some new blood.

I'd rather Bolton take the MLB spot, Gay Will and draft or sign a SAM for reasonable money.

No way Hitch comes back for pennies.
What Gay let’s you do is play the board as it comes.

If there’s a strong coverage backer like JOK that slides a bit you can grab him. Alternatively, if there’s a Germaine Pratt sort that fits in nicely as a Sam who is around in the 4th, you take him instead.

You can treat FA the same way. If you get the right player at the right price at Will or Sam, Gays attributes allow him to fill the remaining position.
[Reply]
staylor26 07:07 PM 01-14-2022
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
Speaking of LB, how we feeling about Gay? I admittedly missed a lot of games this year, but compared to Bolton he seems to have been just okay even though he is in year 2. He doesn’t seem to be getting any talk outside of KC.
:-)

Who cares about “talk outside of KC”? He improved a ton and consistently flashes. That’s all that matters.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up