ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>James Cook, RB, Georgia (3rd round comp pick)
staylor26 12:38 PM 01-26-2022
Brother of Dalvin Cook.

I would love to draft this guy at the end of day 2.

After seeing the success that McKinnon has had in the playoffs, I think this offense could really use a young back with a similar skill set on a rookie deal.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:11 PM 01-26-2022
Agreed. The only thing that gives me pause is that he's kind of small. However, if you rotate the two (3 really, as Clyde will still be here) then maybe you would be okay. I also like Jerome Ford in about that range. He's more of the Veach prototype.
[Reply]
RunKC 03:36 PM 01-26-2022
I thought that when I watched the CFB national championship but a late 3rd rd grade? I thought for sure he’d be a high 2nd rd pick at worst.

What am I missing here?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:48 PM 01-26-2022
I like Pest's guy, Ford.

EDIT: It would appear this is also Meck's guy....

Gimme Ford w/ the comp 3rd and a reasonable deal for Chase Edmonds and I'm a damn happy camper.

Oh, and has anyone else noticed that McKinnon sounds like Chris Tucker? Maybe he was just fired up.
[Reply]
O.city 03:51 PM 01-26-2022
Nah. I woudln't burn a 3rd on a RB. Gonna be some CB's in that space I think.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:04 PM 01-26-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
Nah. I woudln't burn a 3rd on a RB. Gonna be some CB's in that space I think.
The 'found' Poles 3rd?

I mean we all love saying "Hey, a late 1st is basically a 2nd..." when we're justifying questionable trades - why doesn't it apply when we're burning a comp 3rd?

Ford's a bit unique in this draft. There aren't a lot of true 'fastbacks' coming out that I can find. And that is what this offense NEEDS. He can provide that and maybe even develop into a little more if he can polish up his pass-blocking skills and get more receiving work.

He's a specific type of player that fills a particular need. I don't think it's a reach to use the comp pick on him. Afterall "it's basically a 4th..."
[Reply]
O.city 04:06 PM 01-26-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
The 'found' Poles 3rd?

I mean we all love saying "Hey, a late 1st is basically a 2nd..." when we're justifying questionable trades - why doesn't it apply when we're burning a comp 3rd?

Ford's a bit unique in this draft. There aren't a lot of true 'fastbacks' coming out that I can find. And that is what this offense NEEDS. He can provide that and maybe even develop into a little more if he can polish up his pass-blocking skills and get more receiving work.

He's a specific type of player that fills a particular need. I don't think it's a reach to use the comp pick on him. Afterall "it's basically a 4th..."
Well, I'm just not a fan of burning it on a RB, but it's late enough.....whatever. Go for it.

Honestly and I don't think there's any way possible it would or could workout...if the Saints wanna shed some money.....they have a RB I woudln't mind.
[Reply]
kccrow 04:08 PM 01-26-2022
I like him, alot actually.

I think what separates the "kind of small" from the rest is speed and Cook has it whereas a guy like Clyde does not. McKinnon ran a 4.41 in the 40 and 6.83 in the 3-cone at 5'9" 209. Those are WR numbers and I think Cook is going to run similarly.

What I like about Cook's resume is that they used him in a lot of ways I could envision Reid using him, where they moved him around the formation either as a motion decoy or to flex him out at WR. He got open as a receiver out of the backfield a lot more than Georgia's idiot QB made use of (so many times taking dumb sacks instead of dumping the ball to a wide-open Cook).

I never envision Cook as a guy that can be a lead back, but he has what you want as that change of pace runner and I think this offense has been missing that aspect for a while now.

There are other backs I like a lot more if you're looking for a starter, but not many I like as a change of pace. I would keep an eye on Zonovan Knight out of NC State though. I don't know if he's quite as fast as Cook but they are very similar.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:12 PM 01-26-2022
I feel like Cook running a 4.41 and a 6.83 3-cone puts him in the middle 2nd. It may vault him to/near the very top of the RB class.

Cook runs angry and he's been handled well at UGA. At his height, he's a damn sturdy kid and someone who gets behind his pads well. If he demonstrates that kind of explosion, I figure he's absolutely a potential lead back.

I just figured he'd be more in the 4.55 range w/ damn near everyone else in this class. It just seems like a weirdly slow draft pool this year. It's like about 6 years ago when every damn WR in the draft was 6' and ran a 4.5. There was just no separation at all between about 15 different guys. Made for one HELL of a tough scout, I'd imagine.
[Reply]
kccrow 04:17 PM 01-26-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I feel like Cook running a 4.41 and a 6.83 3-cone puts him in the middle 2nd. It may vault him to/near the very top of the RB class.

Cook runs angry and he's been handled well at UGA. At his height, he's a damn sturdy kid and someone who gets behind his pads well. If he demonstrates that kind of explosion, I figure he's absolutely a potential lead back.

I just figured he'd be more in the 4.55 range w/ damn near everyone else in this class. It just seems like a weirdly slow draft pool this year. It's like about 6 years ago when every damn WR in the draft was 6' and ran a 4.5. There was just no separation at all between about 15 different guys. Made for one HELL of a tough scout, I'd imagine.
Not a chance it vaults him to the top or anywhere near it. This is a pretty good group at the top.
[Reply]
staylor26 07:41 PM 01-26-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I thought that when I watched the CFB national championship but a late 3rd rd grade? I thought for sure he’d be a high 2nd rd pick at worst.

What am I missing here?
Most places I see have him outside of the top 100.

I think his lack of size and proven ability to be the lead back are what’s keeping him there for now.

We’ll see where he ends up after the combine and shit though.
[Reply]
CatfishBob2 01:11 PM 01-28-2022
Idk who that might be in this draft, but I'd like to get a AJ Dillon or Rhamondre Stevenson type. A Rb that defenses have to make a business decision on tackling on top of all the other things they have to worry about in this offense.

And at first I wanted one pretty early, but now I think S,CB, and DL depth is going to be too important to consider an RB before the 4th
[Reply]
staylor26 02:06 PM 01-28-2022
Originally Posted by CatfishBob2:
Idk who that might be in this draft, but I'd like to get a AJ Dillon or Rhamondre Stevenson type. A Rb that defenses have to make a business decision on tackling on top of all the other things they have to worry about in this offense.

And at first I wanted one pretty early, but now I think S,CB, and DL depth is going to be too important to consider an RB before the 4th
He’s not quite as big as those 2, but Brian Robinson from Bama is another guy I really like.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:26 PM 01-28-2022
Originally Posted by CatfishBob2:

Just absolutely zero interest in a power back.

If someone give the safeties and the LBs enough time to read, react and get downhill before they can make it into the second level, I don't need them.

EVERYTHING with this offense should be designed to keep those goddamn safeties honest. Putting a back in there that makes some scrub like Jonathan Abram MORE useful is backwards.

Give me speed. Power is for teams that don't have Patrick Mahomes. If we need a Defender hit in the mouth, that's what the OL is for.
[Reply]
CatfishBob2 03:37 PM 01-28-2022
Bad Take is bad. This offense has speed in spades. Building a team of players with one particular skill set doesnt make sense for a variety of reasons
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up