ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 70
« First < 41011121314 151617182464 > Last »
Media Center>Doctor Who
keg in kc 12:57 PM 03-30-2011
Been meaning to start a thread on this for years and never have for some reason. Big fan of both the original (what I've seen/remember of it...) and the rebooted series.

New doctor:

[Reply]
keg in kc 10:49 AM 10-02-2011
Well, that was a bit of a letdown.
[Reply]
Mr Luzcious 12:36 PM 10-02-2011
It felt really..disjointed to me. The midseason finale did as well, definitely not comparable to last season's awesome ending.
[Reply]
keg in kc 02:02 PM 10-02-2011
Disjointed's a good description. There were some awesome moments but some of it just didn't work. At all. It was kind of funny. I liked the concept of the Doctor and River being halves of the problem, but I could not suspend my disbelief at the idea of all points in time existing concurrently. Although I think part of that was the way they presented it. Having the episode start with cars suspended from balloons just made me roll my eyes. As did an american flag and "Area 52" in giant letters on the side of the great pyramid. But a lot of moments worked, and I kind of liked tying in the fake doctor-bot at the end, as telegraphed as it was. But it really felt thrown-together, as a whole. Not their best effort.
[Reply]
Rausch 04:18 PM 10-02-2011
5 eps in and I'm pretty sure this is the most talented supporting cast and, by far, the worst Dr...
[Reply]
Jawshco 09:43 AM 10-03-2011
I'm not sure what to say about that episode. It wasn't terrible, but after all the setup toward a big ending that answered all the questions... it seemed to me that anything was going to be a disappointment. The Moff just seemed to sidestep the entire plotline with the convergence of all time. Don't get me wrong, I thought that was pretty cool, but it really came out of left field and the answers we received were very contrived- as if they didn't really matter.

IDK... I think Series 6 was an improvement over the dissappointing Series 5. I could go without ever rewatching any episodes of Series-aside from Fish fingers and custard, Vincent Van "Goff" and the FEZ. Series 6 is better in that I do want to watch it all again and see if I missed anything, but it's definitely not one of my favorites.
[Reply]
Jawshco 09:47 AM 10-03-2011
FTR- Using the Tesalecta as his "out" might be the very definition of Deus Ex Machina. I'm glad that it wasn't the Flesh Ganger, but it was still too predictable.
[Reply]
keg in kc 12:51 PM 10-03-2011
I liked series 5 a lot more, and series 6 a lot less, than you did. I was a big fan of Victory of the Daleks, The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone, The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood, The Lodger and The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang.

The only episode in series 6 that matched that level of quality, in my opinion of course, was The Doctor's Wife (Neil Gaiman's). Closing Time was almost there. The rest of the season didn't do much for me at all. A real disappointment I think.
[Reply]
Barrymore50 07:18 AM 10-12-2011
Finally got to see all of season 6. Overall, especially the first part of the season, it was a letdown. I didn't like Gaiman's episode much (needed to be two episodes) and the Gangers were almost an all-time low (needed to be one episode). Pirate episode and Closing Time were totally average, complete letdowns (I was looking forward to both). The season opener, Let's Kill Hitler, and the finale were the highlights for me. Hated most of God Complex, but loved the ending of the episode where it was "Goodbye to the Ponds". I really HATE that the Doctor has casually been labelled a liar and a threat to the universe that everyone is scared of...this is not what the Doctor is or what he stands for.
In the future, I'd like to see what Matt Smith could do with a new companion. Amy and Rory just never have had the charm or likeability of other companions--I don't hate them, but it's definitely time for a change. I like Matt Smith a lot, but he needs to not go overboard on the "waving my hands around" and "mumbling non-sense" type of acting.
The show needs to get simpler and get back to more excitement and emotion. I'm all for the "Adventures in time and space" approach of the first few seasons and much less of the "time travel twisted fairy tale" of the last couple Moffat seasons.
[Reply]
bevischief 07:41 AM 10-14-2011
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
I liked series 5 a lot more, and series 6 a lot less, than you did. I was a big fan of Victory of the Daleks, The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone, The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood, The Lodger and The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang.

The only episode in series 6 that matched that level of quality, in my opinion of course, was The Doctor's Wife (Neil Gaiman's). Closing Time was almost there. The rest of the season didn't do much for me at all. A real disappointment I think.
The Doctor's Wife was filmed last season and shown this season.
[Reply]
bevischief 07:42 AM 10-14-2011
The Ponds are back for next season.
[Reply]
The_Doctor10 10:07 PM 10-14-2011
Originally Posted by bevischief:
The Ponds are back for next season.
Don't like that move... Their arc is done. What more can they do? Amy and Rory are in love. They gave up trying to find their baby after 1 episode. Rory dies so often that it has lost all emotional resonance. Amy won't jump the Doctor and at this point, can only hate him.

New companions, PLEASE, Moffat!
[Reply]
bevischief 01:35 PM 10-18-2011
http://www.denofgeek.com/television/..._series_7.html

Originally Posted by The_Doctor10:
Don't like that move... Their arc is done. What more can they do? Amy and Rory are in love. They gave up trying to find their baby after 1 episode. Rory dies so often that it has lost all emotional resonance. Amy won't jump the Doctor and at this point, can only hate him.

New companions, PLEASE, Moffat!
Karen Gillan confirms she’s appearing in Doctor Who series 7

Simon Brew

Karen Gillan will be joining Matt Smith in Doctor Who series 7, the actress confirms...

Published on Jul 26, 2011

There’s been no shortage of speculation as to what shape the next series of Doctor Who will take. We already know that it’ll be filmed next year, and that Matt Smith is returning. What’s unlikely is that we’ll get all of those episodes screened in 2012, and that instead, there’s a big build up to the show’s fiftieth birthday in 2013 planned.

There was particular speculation over the involvement of Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill, given that each had commitments elsewhere. This led many to put two and two together. Turns out, they might have made five.

Karen Gillan, then, chatting to Zap2It, has confirmed, “I am going to come back, yes,” with relation to the next series of the show. That, obviously, still leaves some gaps. Will she be back for the full season run? Or will she be doing a Billie Piper, and returning for just a few episodes?

Given that the modern day lifespan of the Doctor Who assistant has been two full season runs, Gillan is either about to break that ceiling, or there’s something up everyone’s sleeve that we don’t yet know about. It’s quite feasible that both of those things may be true.
[Reply]
bevischief 01:36 PM 10-18-2011
http://www.denofgeek.com/

Is one of the better sources for info on Doctor who.
[Reply]
whoman69 07:25 PM 10-18-2011
I have to agree that Rory and Amy have run their course. I also thought they wrote themselves in a corner. The Doctor did not seem to have run around for 200 years from the time he left them until he was "killed." Too pat an ending and that's why its so disappointing. I wouldn't call him the worst doctor by any stretch, but his ego is approaching Colin Baker status.

My least favorite was Christopher Eccleston because he seemed to be a rent a doctor since he only wanted to do one season.
[Reply]
bevischief 05:51 AM 10-21-2011
http://www.denofgeek.com/television/..._revealed.html

Doctor Who Christmas special details revealed

Simon Brew

More cast details of the Doctor Who Christmas special have been revealed, and there's now a synopsis, too...

Published on Oct 21, 2011

The latest edition of Doctor Who Magazine, which is on sale now, has spilled a few details on this year’s Christmas special of the show.

The magazine reveals that Claire Skinner, Alexander Armstrong, Bill Bailey and Arabella Weir will be joined by Maurice Cole, Holly Earl and Paul Bazely in the cast. And there’s a synopsis that’s been released, too.

It reads, “The special, set during the Second World War, sees Madge Arwell and her two children, Lily and Cyril, evacuated to a draughty old house in Dorset, where the caretaker is a mysterious young man in a bow tie, and a big blue parcel is waiting for them under the tree. They are about to enter a magical new world and learn that a Time Lord never forgets his debts.”

It’s likely to be the last episode of the show for eight or nine months. Here’s hoping it’s a good one...
[Reply]
Page 14 of 70
« First < 41011121314 151617182464 > Last »
Up