ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 168 of 172
« First < 68118158164165166167168 169170171172 >
Media Center>Better Call Saul
rico 11:01 PM 10-06-2013

As I am sure many of y'all already know, a spinoff of "Breaking Bad" titled "Better Call Saul" will be airing in 2014. This is going to be a prequel to Breaking Bad and will be based on the character of Saul Goodman from "Breaking Bad."

I, for one, will be watching. I'm sure the majority of all of you other "Breaking Bad" fans will be as well. Might as well get the discussion going sooner rather than later.

So... what are your hopes, expectations and/or concerns with the show? Here are some of mine:

Hopes: I hope to see Saul do his thing in the courtroom. I hope to see strong, unique supporting characters. I hope to see Breaking Bad foreshadowing. I hope he has an intriguing paralegal and/or assistant. I hope to see Breaking Bad characters such as Fring, Mike, etc...whoever. I hope the show kicks ass.

Expectations: I don't expect it to be as good as "Breaking Bad" (because nothing else is, really), but I expect it to be good since Vince Gilligan is writing. I somewhat expect it to have an even balance of comedy and drama...since Saul undeniably provides a substantial amount of comedic relief in "Breaking Bad." I expect to see "courtroom Saul." I expect the "Breaking Bad" references and character cameos to be less than what I hope. If it isn't even a fraction as good as "Breaking Bad," I expect it to be better than 95% of everything else on TV, since there is some shitty shit on TV these days.

Concerns: I'd be a liar if I were to say that I didn't think this show has potential of flopping and certainly failing to meet the presumed high expectations of the audience. Don't get me wrong, I think it will be good... but I think it COULD suck if not executed properly. My main concern is Saul ultimately proving himself to be a "little dab will do ya" type of character, which would lead to a show centered around his character not working out. I am hoping that the character of Saul will not be so over-used and constantly over the top, that he becomes annoying to me, thus ruining his character for me altogether... Not saying I think this will be how it goes down...just saying I think there is a CHANCE of this being the case, which prompts me to believe that a strong supporting cast is VITAL in terms of the amount of success/quality this show will accumulate. All in all, I don't think VG will steer us in an unfortunate direction though...I think they'll pull it off.

Thoughts?

DISCUS!!!!

[Reply]
Sure-Oz 10:44 PM 08-15-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Jimmy’s back and has atoned for his sins. I was wrong there. Amazing.

This was never gonna be Felina. You just can’t top that. But this was good. It took a different turn and still did what I thought
So glad to see Jimmy back.
[Reply]
notorious 10:47 PM 08-15-2022
Jimmy McGill was a hustler scumbag, too. Easy to forget.

The color in the cigarette was the small glimmer of happiness rekindled between Jimmy and Kim. They won't have what they once did, but there is still a shred there.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 10:47 PM 08-15-2022
Originally Posted by notorious:
If you wanted a real-world ending, he would have taken the 7 years and figured out another way to get Kim out of harm's way.

Decent enough, it didn't soil the series at all, I just don't see him doing it the way he did.

Still one of the best shows this decade. Gilligan is awesome.
But he didn't get Kim out of harm's way. At all.
That's what's so ridiculous about giving up his sweet plea deal. He got nothing for it.
[Reply]
notorious 10:49 PM 08-15-2022
I wish he would have went out full Saul. Sentenced to 7, gets out in less than 4 for good behavior.

That's just me.

The writers did fine. Like I said, it didn't ruin the series (Game of Thrones comes to mind).
[Reply]
cosmo20002 10:53 PM 08-15-2022
Jimmy’s back and has atoned for his sins. I was wrong there. Amazing.

This was never gonna be Felina. You just can’t top that. But this was good. It took a different turn and still did what I thought
Originally Posted by Sure-Oz:
So glad to see Jimmy back.
Jimmy was mostly a jerk.
And he wouldn't have taken 86 years in a shithole prison when he could have had 7 in a nice one. No one would.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:55 PM 08-15-2022
Originally Posted by Demonpenz:
What was with the cherry of the cig being in color. Mishap in the editing room?
Dude.

It’s representative of the small spark of happiness he feels with Kim. He can’t have full technicolor but just like the cigarette is a small reprieve from jail, seeing Kim brings a little color back to his life.

Color = life with Kim
B/W = life without Kim

It’s beautiful nuanced filmmaking. No mistake there.
[Reply]
notorious 10:57 PM 08-15-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Dude.

It’s representative of the small spark of happiness he feels with Kim. He can’t have full technicolor but just like the cigarette is a small reprieve from jail, seeing Kim brings a little color back to his life.

Color = life with Kim
B/W = life without Kim

It’s beautiful nuanced filmmaking. No mistake there.
You got Penz'd, Bueh.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:58 PM 08-15-2022
He Broke back. That is a nice touch that I didn’t see coming.

Of all the speculation that is around (admittedly I didn’t partake in), him falling on his sword because Kim was right I bet wasn’t in many peoples guesses.

Whatever you think about the show you have to tip your cap to the cast and crew, this is nothing if not a spirited, hard earned endeavor the likes of which are rare these days. I loved it, but even if you didn’t, you have to respect the craft.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:00 PM 08-15-2022
You got Penz'd, Bueh.
Fuck. I don’t look. I thought it was carr4mvp. They must have similar avatars.

Well done Penz. You got my ass.
[Reply]
notorious 11:01 PM 08-15-2022
The best part of the episode was Saul telling his "story" and watching the star prosecuting attorney shit his pants.

He owned the best of the best, and it was fantastic.
[Reply]
RunKC 11:01 PM 08-15-2022
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
Jimmy was mostly a jerk.
And he wouldn't have taken 86 years in a shithole prison when he could have had 7 in a nice one. No one would.
You didn’t get the point did you?
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:03 PM 08-15-2022
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
She voluntarily confessed. So to claim that she voluntarily confessed to things she didn't actually do...Ridiculous.

At best, he took an additional 80 years in prison because he thought it MIGHT help Kim (which isn't reasonable to believe in the first place).

Kim's confession in the first place was ridiculous. I'm sure she felt really bad about what happened, but when no one's after you, you don't turn yourself in. It's not believable human behavior by either of them.
It’s called a character arc dude.

Did you sit there during Breaking Bad and say, “Walter White was too timid he’d never do that!!!!!1” ?

Also side note: do you have a soul? I’m guessing watching your mentor get his brain splattered across your apartment would have an impact on most people that have a soul. Not you though.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 11:17 PM 08-15-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
It’s called a character arc dude.

Did you sit there during Breaking Bad and say, “Walter White was too timid he’d never do that!!!!!1” ?

Also side note: do you have a soul? I’m guessing watching your mentor get his brain splattered across your apartment would have an impact on most people that have a soul. Not you though.
dude, don't give me the "character arc" BS.
It's not believable human behavior. Period.
Could take 7 years, but took 86 instead. For no reason.

I swear, I think some of you get so invested in these shows that criticizing them would be like admitting some sort of flaw in yourself. Overall, I think it was a great show that overcame a largely boring start. But you can't just write off characters doing really dumb things that they or no human would never, ever, do as a "character arc."

If he actually sacrificed himself for SOMETHING or SOMEONE...maybe. But he didn't. It's not getting Kim off. She voluntarily confessed. It's like they so badly wanted to avoid any "predictable" ending like him escaping just so they could come up with something crazy that no one would ever guess. Well, there's a reason no one would ever guess this--it is completely ridiculous that any person would do this.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 11:19 PM 08-15-2022
You didn’t get the point did you?
You're the second to say that without actually explaining this point I missed.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 12:11 AM 08-16-2022
I wish he would have went out full Saul. Sentenced to 7, gets out in less than 4 for good behavior.

That's just me.

The writers did fine. Like I said, it didn't ruin the series (Game of Thrones comes to mind).
In the Gilligan universe you either atone big time or wind up dead. There is no redemption arc for anyone who breaks bad and stayed that way. The telephone call a few episodes was beautifully scripted. It reminds me you that most people lost it all or went through hell to find their way to purgatory.
[Reply]
Page 168 of 172
« First < 68118158164165166167168 169170171172 >
Up