ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 207 of 333
« First < 107157197203204205206207 208209210211217257307 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2023 Royals Season Repository Thread***
ChiefsCountry 12:02 AM 01-01-2023

2023 – A new beginning for the Royals. Matt Quatraro era begins. A year to see which of our young players will make up the core going forward. Can Bobby Witt Jr become a superstar SS or will go to the hot corner? Will Brady Singer take the next step forward? Will Salvy be Salvy? Will Big Vin or Pratto take first base? Will they find a position for MJ? Who else emerges from the youth movement? Not to mention the development of the new downtown stadium.

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Jordan Lyles, RHP
Ryan Yarbrough, LHP
Josh Taylor, LHP
Aroldis Chapman, LHP

Top 10 Prospects from Baseball America
1. Gavin Cross, OF
2. Cayden Wallace, 3B
3. Drew Waters, OF
4. Ben Kudrna, RHP
5. Frank Mozzicato, LHP
6. Maikel Garcia, SS
7. Tyler Gentry, OF
8. Nick Loftin, OF/3B
9. Angel Zerpa, LHP
10. Carter Jensen, C
[Reply]
Mecca 11:50 AM 07-10-2023
Originally Posted by Warpaint69:
Seems Sherman bought the Royals for far different reasons other than investing into building a winner. More like bilk tax payers for a new park, value of team increases, sell team, and profit.
If he gets a stadium built he can probably double his money.
[Reply]
penguinz 11:52 AM 07-10-2023
Seems Sherman bought the Royals for far different reasons other than investing into building a winner. More like bilk tax payers for a new park, value of team increases, sell team, and profit.
Yup, in his press conference a couple of weeks ago he mentioned making it better for future owners more than once.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:54 AM 07-10-2023
Originally Posted by penguinz:
Yup, in his press conference a couple of weeks ago he mentioned making it better for future owners more than once.
Yea he also mentioned an Oakland situation and bringing in Manfred which is a thinly veiled moving the team threat.
[Reply]
Warpaint69 07-10-2023, 11:56 AM
This message has been deleted by Warpaint69.
Infidel Goat 12:39 PM 07-10-2023
Maybe some of the money saved yesterday is going to the fourth round pick?

Keith Law's top 10 undrafted players going into today...

Originally Posted by :
3. Hunter Owen, LHP, Vanderbilt
DOB: 1-30-2002 | 6-6 | 261 pounds | B/T: R/L

No. 38 on the top 100

Owen was a strike-throwing reliever last year for Vandy, moving to the rotation this spring, where he’s been a little inconsistent but shown first-round stuff in his best weeks. In those outings, he’ll top out at 95-96 mph with a plus curveball and above-average slider. He generally throws strikes, although it’s control over command right now. He’s 6-foot-6, 260 pounds, and can show four pitches, although he goes to the breaking ball a ton for whiffs. Owen missed two starts in April, came back for two starts, then was out two more weekends before returning. In his first two outings back from this second layoff, he was down over a half a mile an hour, but his breaking stuff was still pretty sharp. He destroys left-handed batters and held right-handers to a sub-.300 OBP this spring, but did give up eight homers to righties and probably needs to throw his changeup more to them to avoid that becoming a problem. If he’s healthy, he has mid-rotation upside and would be the best college lefty in the class, but I think all the missed starts will push him out of the first round.

[Reply]
Mecca 12:47 PM 07-10-2023
Originally Posted by Infidel Goat:

Owen is a college junior that has a history of arm issues...not really sure there is an overpay there.

Not shitting on the pick by the way for 106 it's a solid risk because he could make the majors and be a solid backend starter.
[Reply]
dlphg9 01:08 PM 07-10-2023
Originally Posted by Infidel Goat:

I really hope not. Considering all of our minor league pitching development hasn't changed, then I really don't like the idea that they will be trying to fix someone that was inconsistent. But wait there's more! He's missed significant time in back to back seasons. I'm not too excited about a guy that has only thrown so few innings, but can't stay healthy.

Hits 97 MPH on his fast ball, but as a starter he stayed in the low 90s. Yeah, no thanks. How often do guys with shitty fastballs workout?
[Reply]
Mecca 01:10 PM 07-10-2023
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
I really hope not. Considering all of our minor league pitching development hasn't changed, then I really don't like the idea that they will be trying to fix someone that was inconsistent. But wait there's more! He's missed significant time in back to back seasons. I'm not too excited about a guy that has only thrown so few innings, but can't stay healthy.

Hits 97 MPH on his fast ball, but as a starter he stayed in the low 90s. Yeah, no thanks. How often do guys with shitty fastballs workout?
Plenty of back end starters with that profile or guys that can get up to 97 for 1 inning go to the pen.
[Reply]
dlphg9 01:12 PM 07-10-2023
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Plenty of back end starters with that profile or guys that can get up to 97 for 1 inning go to the pen.
You think it's smart to go underslot on a top 10 pick, so that you can get a back end starter?
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 01:13 PM 07-10-2023
Hell yeah the Royals took one of my favorite college guys - Spencer Nivens from Missouri State. Columbia kid. Great player and was drafted in the right round.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:14 PM 07-10-2023
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
You think it's smart to go underslot on a top 10 pick, so that you can get a back end starter?
Nah the thought is they won't be going overslot on Owen...Wolters is probably over slot...

On top of that they used money they saved to spend in later rounds to get David Sandlin and Austin Charles signed last year.

My issue with the first 2 picks is far more about the extreme risk they carry than anything.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:15 PM 07-10-2023

Nivens was getting legitimate second round looks before the season. Posted an OPS of 1.087 this spring with a career-high 14 home runs. The BB/K got worse & I’m a little skeptical he can hit for power AND avoid the strikeouts as a pro, but he could be a LF version of Roccaforte. https://t.co/xZzFc9QUrg

— Royals Farm Report (@RoyalsFarm) July 10, 2023

[Reply]
Infidel Goat 02:04 PM 07-10-2023
Keith Law had Nivens ranked at #75.
Originally Posted by :
Spencer Nivens
OF
MISSOURI STATE
DOB:
11-16-2001
HEIGHT:
5-11
WEIGHT:
Scouting Report
Bats: L, Throws: R
Nivens makes surprisingly hard contact for a smaller guy with a simple swing, and he’s an excellent fastball hitter. He’s a redshirt sophomore, having sat out the 2021 season, and all he’s done is hit, with a 16 percent strikeout rate over his two seasons with the Bears and 25 homers in 116 games. He’s a smaller guy, listed at 5-11, but strong enough that he might carry over some of that power and end up a 15-20 homer hitter. He hasn’t faced much real velocity, hitting what he’s seen at least, and he will have to work to stay in center, as his arm would otherwise push him to left field. There’s a decent upside here with the hit/power potential if he does stay up the middle.

[Reply]
tk13 02:36 PM 07-10-2023
Here's the 3rd round pick. Definitely has some disgusting movement on his pitches. Sounds like he gets elite spin rate on his slider too.

Pretty incredible performance today from 2023 RHP Hiro Wyatt (CT). Twirler CG no-hitter w/ 18 strikeouts. In control from pitch 1, showed 95s throughout CG w/ plenty of 6s & topped 97 2x. Mixed entire arsenal & got whiffs w/ all 4, slider was go-to, lots of uncomfortable swings. pic.twitter.com/eGKYLiKYNJ

— PG_NewEngland (@PG_NewEngland) May 12, 2023

[Reply]
BWillie 02:55 PM 07-10-2023
If I were this kid I wouldn’t sign with the Royals and would just go to LSU. Career trajectory has a better chance
I think with the NIL now we may see more kids opt to do that no?
[Reply]
Warpaint69 03:08 PM 07-10-2023
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I think with the NIL now we may see more kids opt to do that no?
He said he was going pro :-)
[Reply]
Page 207 of 333
« First < 107157197203204205206207 208209210211217257307 > Last »
Up