ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 48 of 94
« First < 384445464748 4950515258 > Last »
Media Center>HBO: True Detective
keg in kc 10:17 AM 09-09-2013
Hits in January.

Starring Matthew McConaughey & Woody Harrelson. :-)

[Reply]
Deberg_1990 08:52 PM 09-24-2014
Originally Posted by Aries Walker:
That was the shot-for-shot Psycho remake. I believe it won some Golden Raspberries.
Yea, that was a strange part of his career.

He also played another disturbed character in the Travolta flick Domestic Disturbance
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 05:25 AM 09-25-2014
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Vaughn is pretty good in dramatic turns in Return to Paradise and Clay Pigeons, IMO. It should be a pretty interesting pairing.
I agree that I think Vaughn will do pretty well. They aren't really a pair though. Vaughn was rumored to be a bad guy early on; I'm assuming he's still tied to that role.

Farrell, Kitsch, and insert female nom du jour are the LEO's but they all come from different levels of law enforcement so I don't think we'll see the same buddy(?) dynamic.

Apparently, Justin Lin is confirmed for the first 2 episodes. Wonder if we'll get 4 directors doing 2 each
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:46 PM 11-10-2014

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:03 AM 11-11-2014
Vince Vaughn will need to pull off the role of a lifetime. He's a giant bozo and there isn't a person in the world that thinks otherwise. No one references "Clay Pidgeons" or his other work when mentioning Vaughn. We're not talking about Heath Ledger or Mark Ruffalo or Ed Norton - We're talking the "Big Daddy" the "Rock" the "Funny guy who eats too much".

I won't buy it until I see it.

That said, the finaly two episodes of last season were unadulterated hack writing. The ending was sooooooooooo ridiculous, with the "blue screen" background and pseudo-philosophical nonsense.

The real tragedy wasn't the elected officials involvement or the familial inbreeding.

It was a bad fucking script with a worse ending.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 01:59 AM 11-11-2014
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Vince Vaughn will need to pull off the role of a lifetime. He's a giant bozo and there isn't a person in the world that thinks otherwise. No one references "Clay Pidgeons" or his other work when mentioning Vaughn. We're not talking about Heath Ledger or Mark Ruffalo or Ed Norton - We're talking the "Big Daddy" the "Rock" the "Funny guy who eats too much".

I won't buy it until I see it.

That said, the finaly two episodes of last season were unadulterated hack writing. The ending was sooooooooooo ridiculous, with the "blue screen" background and pseudo-philosophical nonsense.

The real tragedy wasn't the elected officials involvement or the familial inbreeding.

It was a bad ****ing script with a worse ending.
In my eyes, the beginning of the season overcame its sometimes slipshot writing with phenomenal direction and a near iconic performance from McConaughey. In the first six (arguably seven) episodes, Fukunaga's laser tight focus made it easy to overlook many of the show's deficits. It also helped that the writing for McConaughey and his performance was absolutely captivating (as it turns out, some of Cohle's landmark lines "the light's winning" - "time is a flat circle" were almost directly lifted from other material). Add in the show's dynamic supporting cast, and this season one's strong beginning looked destined for a classic finale.

However, the weaknesses in the writing brought the show off the rails in its conclusion. When I was watching the finale, all I could think of was that it was playing like a cookie cutter episode of crime procedural - but throughout it I was hopeful the end would bring it all back together. It didn't (though I didn't hate Cohle's final revelation as much as some).

With that said, the cinematography, Fukunaga, McConaughey and the rest of the supporting cast made season one a classic.

Looking toward season 2, with Fukunaga's departure, the weaknesses (and apparent plagiarism) of Pizzolatto's writing, the reports that the writers/cast/production are now rushing to meet their season 2 deadline, and the fact that HBO is relying on Vince Vaughn to have a watershed performance that turns around his career's trajectory, I'm worrying that it's becoming apparent that Pizzolatto caught lightning in a bottle during the previous season.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:39 AM 11-11-2014
Well, if Vaughn is the same ol Vaughn, it won't take long for the viewership to tank after season 1.
[Reply]
raybec 4 08:50 AM 11-11-2014
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Well, if Vaughn is the same ol Vaughn, it won't take long for the viewership to tank after season 1.
Vince Vaughn has played the same character in every movie for 10 years.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:19 AM 11-11-2014
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
So had McConaughey for the most part. He did break the mold a bit with We are Marshall, but yeah, he was a rom com douche for almost ever.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:33 PM 11-11-2014
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
Maybe so but MM was convincing in those roles. Sure, he had his typical swagger and style but I bought it, whether it was Lincoln Lawyer or Magic Mike.

Vince is the same exact guy in every single movie. That said, I lovethe guy and I love his comedies but it's difficult to see him, without seeing him, being able to pull this off.

Colin Farrell and Taylor Kitsch should be great.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:39 PM 11-11-2014
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
So had McConaughey for the most part. He did break the mold a bit with We are Marshall, but yeah, he was a rom com douche for almost ever.
I have to disagree.

While he certainly did a few rom com's, movies like Two for the Money, The Lincoln Lawyer, Magic Mike, Killer Joe, Frailty and of course, The Dallas Buyers Club and The Wolf of Wall Street show a much greater range than Vince Vaughn (or one of his finer roles, IMO, in Contact).

Vince Vaughn is always the "sidekick" to the guy chasing the women. He's the funny "big guy".

I hope he pulls it off.
[Reply]
keg in kc 05:05 PM 11-11-2014
Yeah, McConaughey had been on a roll for years. True Detective wasn't some kind of revival for him, it was just more of what he'd already been doing.

I don't get the Vaughn casting, but I hope it works.
[Reply]
Pablo 05:13 PM 11-11-2014
Mud was a pretty good movie that MM did within the last few years as well.
[Reply]
KevB 05:28 PM 11-11-2014
VV casting makes me quite skeptical that season 2 will match season 1 (or even come close), but I'm still intrigued by the risk they're taking. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
[Reply]
Gadzooks 05:45 PM 11-11-2014
Right after season 1 there was talk of casting 2 broads. I wonder why they changed their minds.
MM did a great job in changing my opinion of his acting abilities. Woody did what he could...

I'd imagine the focus will be on Colin Farrell with Vaughn playing a Woody type role. Colin Farrell can certainly use the publicity. (his Q-meter is pretty low)
[Reply]
ModSocks 05:51 PM 11-11-2014
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:

Vince is the same exact guy in every single movie. That said, I lovethe guy and I love his comedies but it's difficult to see him, without seeing him, being able to pull this off.
The role is probably tailored to him. He'll probably be the same exact guy again.
[Reply]
Page 48 of 94
« First < 384445464748 4950515258 > Last »
Up