ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 21
« First < 3910111213 14151617 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Craig Stout: Chris Jones has been lining up at DE a TON at OTAs.
Direckshun 05:02 PM 05-28-2021
It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Honestly, I’d rather keep him along the interior where he is elite. But Stout mentioned that the base DL is Jones and Clark on the edges with Reed and Nnadi along the interior.

That’s a big risk the team is taking, and the early returns in spot duty last year were not encouraging.

But Stout mentions that Jones has slimmed down a ton as well, clearly prepared to take a stronger role at RDE.

Maybe the most important thing to watch for our defense.

He also mentions Humphrey is your starting center.
[Reply]
O.city 09:57 AM 06-18-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
They could’ve just as easily used the money they spent on Reed to get an edge rusher.

I think it’s pretty obvious that they value interior pass rush more at this point.
1 year 8 million for which pass rusher tho?
[Reply]
staylor26 09:58 AM 06-18-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
They still have cap space on top of that…
[Reply]
RealSNR 10:02 AM 06-18-2021
They've had three years to get somebody better than Alex Okafor at the opposite DE position.

Again, if they valued the position like everybody says they need to value it, they would have invested in it. They've clearly chosen not to because they value other positions/players more.
[Reply]
Direckshun 10:03 AM 06-18-2021
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
But its not really "because Spags" Its because this type thing has been successful "because Spags system". It's not just blind trust, theres literal examples of probowl players like Justin Tuck moving around like this.
I don't think that's an appeal to authority.

I don't think it's a very good argument, though: Jones can do it because Tuck did. Just lacks a lot in terms of substance.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 10:08 AM 06-18-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
I don't think that's an appeal to authority.

I don't think it's a very good argument, though: Jones can do it because Tuck did. Just lacks a lot in terms of substance.
I mean, yes that statement does, however arguments presented in this thread dont imo. Your entitled to your own. But i just see it as moving him around like JJ Watt and Aaron Donald do. Put him over your biggest mismatch, let Reed and NNadi hold down the inside.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:11 AM 06-18-2021
Chris Jones is the 2nd best interior pass rusher in the NFL. That’s where his value is inside. He will continue to be inside on the majority of passing downs.

This is a way of getting more out of him in the run game while allowing you to play your 2 best run stuffers inside on early downs.

Again, this makes sense to anybody with half a brain.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 10:14 AM 06-18-2021
Chris Jones is the 2nd best interior pass rusher in the NFL. That’s where his value is inside. He will continue to be inside on the majority of passing downs.

This is a way of getting more out of him in the run game while allowing you to play your 2 best run stuffers inside on early downs.

Again, this makes sense to anybody with half a brain.
Thanks for saying i have half a brain, thats the nicest thing anyones said to me on this forum ever.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:16 AM 06-18-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
We don't have to speculate what the strongside DE does in our defense. We know what it does. Kpass has played that position for two years.

And it looks very different from the position Jones played under Sutton.
Assuming they are going to use Chris Jones heavily at DE and run the exact same scheme and ask him to do the exact same things they had Okafor/Kpassagnon doing at that spot is silly.

It's where the criticism you've drawn about locking in on traditional descriptions of positions is coming from.

Yes, Chris Jones is going to play some strongside DE. Because he's a big, physical beast and much differently talented than the guys they've had at strongside DE in recent years, either (1) The Chiefs are going to do something different with Jones at SSDE than previous guys, that uses his talents well and also benefits the whole defense OR (2) The Chiefs are going to be stupid and just ask him to do the same stuff, only better.

A 4-man under SSDE (which Spagnuolo has used in the past) will have very different gap responsibilities than a traditional 4-man unit (that just asks its RE to be a 4 tech and its LE to be a traditional 5-tech against attached TE and 4-tech when there are no TE attached).
[Reply]
O.city 10:22 AM 06-18-2021
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
They've had three years to get somebody better than Alex Okafor at the opposite DE position.

Again, if they valued the position like everybody says they need to value it, they would have invested in it. They've clearly chosen not to because they value other positions/players more.
For sure

But they paid okafor a decent deal, they’re paying clark a lot and gave up a bit for him obviously. To say they’ve outright ignored it isn’t right.

I think they’ve just gone where the value has been and will continue to do that. Reed shaking free was just about value etc
[Reply]
staylor26 10:33 AM 06-18-2021
Of course they still value edge rushers. I don’t think SNR is saying they don’t value it at all, or they value it the same as corner.

But if you can’t see that this team values interior pass rush over edge rush, then you haven’t been paying attention at all.

Reid himself has said it’s the best way to get to the QB in today’s NFL.
[Reply]
O.city 10:48 AM 06-18-2021
Of course they still value edge rushers. I don’t think SNR is saying they don’t value it at all, or they value it the same as corner.

But if you can’t see that this team values interior pass rush over edge rush, then you haven’t been paying attention at all.

Reid himself has said it’s the best way to get to the QB in today’s NFL.
But if that were the case, why do the frank clark deal?
[Reply]
staylor26 10:56 AM 06-18-2021
Because they do still value it. They value both. I’m simply saying they value interior pass rush more.
[Reply]
BossChief 10:57 AM 06-18-2021
Frank Clark was a guy that could shut down the run, provide constant pressure on quarterbacks and plays smart. You need that kind of guy at RDE to make the defense adequate.

I’m not sure they see LDE as a position worthy of that kind of investment due to the ROI.

Jones is on a 3 year deal, so I’m sure he wants to build his value as a DE for his next opportunity at FA.

Premium DEs will probably be making 30-35 per by then. DTs won’t be making that kinda bread.
[Reply]
RunKC 11:23 AM 06-18-2021
Originally Posted by RealSNR:

Speaks and Kpassagnon were back-to-back 2nd rd DE investments and then the Frank Clark investment.

Next offseason needs to be a focus to load up our pass rush bc it wasn’t very good last year
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:10 PM 06-18-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Assuming they are going to use Chris Jones heavily at DE and run the exact same scheme and ask him to do the exact same things they had Okafor/Kpassagnon doing at that spot is silly.

It's where the criticism you've drawn about locking in on traditional descriptions of positions is coming from.

Yes, Chris Jones is going to play some strongside DE. Because he's a big, physical beast and much differently talented than the guys they've had at strongside DE in recent years, either (1) The Chiefs are going to do something different with Jones at SSDE than previous guys, that uses his talents well and also benefits the whole defense OR (2) The Chiefs are going to be stupid and just ask him to do the same stuff, only better.

A 4-man under SSDE (which Spagnuolo has used in the past) will have very different gap responsibilities than a traditional 4-man unit (that just asks its RE to be a 4 tech and its LE to be a traditional 5-tech against attached TE and 4-tech when there are no TE attached).
:-)
[Reply]
Page 13 of 21
« First < 3910111213 14151617 > Last »
Up