ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 21
« First < 289101112 13141516 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Craig Stout: Chris Jones has been lining up at DE a TON at OTAs.
Direckshun 05:02 PM 05-28-2021
It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Honestly, I’d rather keep him along the interior where he is elite. But Stout mentioned that the base DL is Jones and Clark on the edges with Reed and Nnadi along the interior.

That’s a big risk the team is taking, and the early returns in spot duty last year were not encouraging.

But Stout mentions that Jones has slimmed down a ton as well, clearly prepared to take a stronger role at RDE.

Maybe the most important thing to watch for our defense.

He also mentions Humphrey is your starting center.
[Reply]
Direckshun 08:52 AM 06-18-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
A Spags DE bodyshape?

He's already employed stuff in KC he never deployed in St. Louis or New York.

Stop putting Spags in a box. That might help you quite a bit to see things more clearly.
That's fair and all, but he's been here 2 years, and everybody except Danna hits the bodyshape.
[Reply]
Direckshun 08:56 AM 06-18-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
No, man, I'm reading your posts.

and I think you're looking at everything through an incorrect lens. You're looking at this all wrong.

You're looking at this like we run a typical base 4-3 and concluding that this is a weird personnel fit.

And I'm saying 1)no we don't really 2)Spags loves versatility to exploit mismatches 3)Spags historically has moved his best 4 pass rushers inside and outside so there is precedent 4)This is mostly much ado about nothing.

You're not going to see Jonesy lining up in a wide 9. I seriously doubt that.

He's been lining up in a DE spot occasionally in the past, and we'll see it more frequently this season.

This is not something to get all worked up about. It will happen when the Chiefs feel like it's a mismatch worth exploiting; and it won't when they don't think it is. It's literally another chess piece for the coordinator to play with. It's a big-assed Honey Badger on the line.

Don't get so hung up on the position labels. They're not as cut and dried as what they were twenty years ago. Just like calling Mathieu a safety is not really accurate. Sometimes he is, sometimes he's a slot corner, sometimes he's a freakin' linebacker.

Now sometimes Jones will be inside, sometimes outside, he'll be something the offensive line will have to locate and deal with on every snap.

I really see no downside here.
Alright, so I asked you a question (what do you think Jones' role will be?) and in the bold, you answered it.

You think he's doing spot duty. If I shared that belief, I probably wouldn't care a ton.

But I think he's playing 35-45% of his snaps there. (Although, again, we're both just guessing.)

What would you reaction be if you heard the Chiefs did intend to play a 35-45% of his snaps at the position?
[Reply]
Direckshun 08:57 AM 06-18-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
If the Chiefs made their decisions based on whether or not "this forum *likes* a player", this team would be no better than 4-12 every year.
You liked "Justice League" so I'm not particularly sure appealing to authority is your best move.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:00 AM 06-18-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
You liked "Justice League" so I'm not particularly sure appealing to authority is your best move.
Again, this isn’t simply about “appealing to authority”.

It’s about you being one of the biggest morons on this forum, yet questioning the pros that are the best in the business at every single fucking turn.

Everybody here is capable of being critical of the Chiefs, but we find it pretty fucking hilarious and pathetic that you CONSTANTLY are.

You never give them the benefit of the doubt, which makes it pretty obvious that you honestly think you know better than they do. It’s not “appealing to authority” to point out that they absolutely know what they’re doing, and you don’t.
[Reply]
Direckshun 09:00 AM 06-18-2021
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
We’re also going on like Year 5 of being weak at CB.

“We need corners! Why the hell did we draft this chump and not a CB? Don’t the Chiefs see this massive hole at the position??!!!”

Are we gonna have to go through the same thing for the next several years with DE? Fans bitching about a particular position while the Chiefs are totally fine with what they’ve got because it’s just not as important to what they run?

If only the Chiefs would listen to the fans more!
I'm sorry but at least a couple of those years, people complaining about the corners were right.

They've been wrong since Spags arrived, however, because Sam Madison has been the best position coach on the team.

Except for last year, it's been reasonable to worry about the corner position, because the resources invested there have been minimal and the talent all entered the season with huge questions.

I don't know how applicable that is to this situation.
[Reply]
Direckshun 09:02 AM 06-18-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Again, this isn’t simply about “appealing to authority”.
The argument that "we're just fans so we should trust the staff" is literally an appeal to authority.

Now there is a version of that is indisputable: that they do this for a living, that they are operating on muuuuuch more information than we are, and therefore they deserve the benefit of the doubt, etc. That's indisputable.

But the idea they're above questioning is laughable and a waste of my time.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:05 AM 06-18-2021
The argument that "we're just fans so we should trust the staff" is literally an appeal to authority.

Now there is a version of that is indisputable: that they do this for a living, that they are operating on muuuuuch more information than we are, and therefore they deserve the benefit of the doubt, etc. That's indisputable.

But the idea they're above questioning is laughable and a waste of my time.
Read the rest of my fucking post, then get back to me:

Originally Posted by :
It’s about you being one of the biggest morons on this forum, yet questioning the pros that are the best in the business at every single fucking turn.

Everybody here is capable of being critical of the Chiefs, but we find it pretty fucking hilarious and pathetic that you CONSTANTLY are.

You never give them the benefit of the doubt, which makes it pretty obvious that you honestly think you know better than they do. It’s not “appealing to authority” to point out that they absolutely know what they’re doing, and you don’t.
It isn’t appealing to authority to point out that if it’s always Direckshun vs. Reid/Veach/Spags, you’re going to be wrong 90% of the time.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:06 AM 06-18-2021
It’s fine to trust the staff and still have questions. Our staff is good but our pass rush aside from blitzes wasn’t good. It doesn’t look like it will be much better this season, at least at the present moment.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:08 AM 06-18-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
It’s fine to trust the staff and still have questions. Our staff is good but our pass rush aside from blitzes wasn’t good. It downer look like it will be much better this season, at least at the present moment.
I’m going to stop you right there, because it’s obvious to anybody that pays attention that Direckshun doesn’t trust the staff whatsoever. He questions them at every single turn. It’s all he does.
[Reply]
Direckshun 09:11 AM 06-18-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
It isn’t appealing to authority to point out that if it’s always Direckshun vs. Reid/Veach/Spags, you’re going to be wrong 90% of the time.
That's fine on its own but it doesn't really respond to the arguments I'm making.

"Chris Jones playing DE is fine because Spags" is literally an appeal to authority.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:12 AM 06-18-2021
That's fine on its own but it doesn't really respond to the arguments I'm making.

"Chris Jones playing DE is fine because Spags" is literally an appeal to authority.
I personally explained why it’s fine without appealing to authority.

Anybody with half a brain can see why it’s fine without appealing to authority.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 09:18 AM 06-18-2021

But its not really "because Spags" Its because this type thing has been successful "because Spags system". It's not just blind trust, theres literal examples of probowl players like Justin Tuck moving around like this.
[Reply]
RealSNR 09:32 AM 06-18-2021
I'm sorry but at least a couple of those years, people complaining about the corners were right.

They've been wrong since Spags arrived, however, because Sam Madison has been the best position coach on the team.

Except for last year, it's been reasonable to worry about the corner position, because the resources invested there have been minimal and the talent all entered the season with huge questions.

I don't know how applicable that is to this situation.
Building a football team is tough, man. You know this. If there's a market inefficiency at a certain position because you have an insanely good coaching staff or because the coverages you draw up don't require the absolute best talent in the world, you roll with that plan. Each and every time.

Fans screamed about the CB position, not realizing that it was one of those things that the Chiefs just didn't care as much about. And those fans didn't know what the Chiefs knew about their team. And guess what? Those fans were wrong.

Who's to say the exact same situation isn't taking place with DE? Reid and the Chiefs have repeatedly said that QBs are getting too good and getting the ball out of their hands too quickly to just rely on your outside pass rush talent to pressure the QB. If you want that pressure, you're going to have to collapse the interior of the pocket because the shorter distance from DT to QB can make the difference when you only have 2 seconds to make a play or disrupt something. So what if that's exactly what the Chiefs are doing by getting explosive guys like Jones and Reed and allowing their DEs to not be as expensive provided they do the other parts of their jobs well? Remember when the plan was Alex Okafor for that opposite DE spot? And his backup Tanoh Kpassagnon, a dude who in the 3-4 was all but a giant bust (and still isn't that great, but being meh is better than sucking). Or how about Old Man Suggs? We've done just fine with those meh dudes at one of the DE spots all while Frank Clark drinks goat piss on the other side.

If the Chiefs valued the DE/Edge rush position the way common NFL pundits say you should (it being the third most important position behind QB and LT) then why would they go three straight offseasons without bothering to spend more than low tier free agent dollars or 5th round picks at one of the positions? It's not just, "Whoops we ran out of money." Football is a game of priorities, and along the way, there were any number of positions that the Chiefs could have opted to not pay/acquire/draft all so they could shore up talent at the DE spot.

I don't know about you, but what it says to me is the Chiefs are exploiting a market inefficiency in ways we don't understand because we're not privy to the player information they have. It's possible that they believe the league overvalues DE by a slight bit, and have instead chosen to spend picks and cash on the interior.
[Reply]
O.city 09:53 AM 06-18-2021
I’d say a lot of that is because they’re already paying such a premium for frank clark and only have so much allowed there. Plus most legit de pass rushers are drafted high and we aren’t ever drafting high
[Reply]
staylor26 09:57 AM 06-18-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
I’d say a lot of that is because they’re already paying such a premium for frank clark and only have so much allowed there. Plus most legit de pass rushers are drafted high and we aren’t ever drafting high
They could’ve just as easily used the money they spent on Reed to get an edge rusher.

I think it’s pretty obvious that they value interior pass rush more at this point.
[Reply]
Page 12 of 21
« First < 289101112 13141516 > Last »
Up