ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 21
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Craig Stout: Chris Jones has been lining up at DE a TON at OTAs.
Direckshun 05:02 PM 05-28-2021
It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Honestly, I’d rather keep him along the interior where he is elite. But Stout mentioned that the base DL is Jones and Clark on the edges with Reed and Nnadi along the interior.

That’s a big risk the team is taking, and the early returns in spot duty last year were not encouraging.

But Stout mentions that Jones has slimmed down a ton as well, clearly prepared to take a stronger role at RDE.

Maybe the most important thing to watch for our defense.

He also mentions Humphrey is your starting center.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:39 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
I'm not sure the opportunity ever presented itself.

With the OL being the priority, it kind of had to take a back burner.

I also think it's overblown to worry much about this at this point. They're not dumb. They'll figure something out.
They had Ingram in the building.

That's an opportunity.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:40 AM 06-17-2021
I'm not sure the opportunity ever presented itself.

With the OL being the priority, it kind of had to take a back burner.

I also think it's overblown to worry much about this at this point. They're not dumb. They'll figure something out.
It certainly presented itself in the 2nd round of the draft. They took Bolton with Basham sitting right there. Ossai was still available as well.

It also could have presented itself in signing or trading for someone but instead they signed another OT in Wyatt Miller and traded for Mike Hughes to bolster two units that already had a ton of depth.
[Reply]
O.city 09:41 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
It certainly presented itself in the 2nd round of the draft. They took Bolton with Basham sitting right there. Ossai was still available as well.

It also could have presented itself in signing or trading for someone but instead they signed another OT in Wyatt Miller and traded for Mike Hughes to bolster two units that already had a ton of depth.
A reasonable opportunity that is. Or one that they liked.

I'd still think Ingram or Houston or something may be on the table, but theres no rush.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:42 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
One thing too-

I realize it's a small sample size, but for the Chiefs staff, they watched the kid in practice all season long.

Tim Ward looked really good in week 17 against the Chargers' starters. He was disruptive with a non-stop motor. He looked like he belonged.

It may well be that the team sees his practice growth and game 17 as something they're comfortable with him playing significant snaps in 2021.

Small sample size for us, confirmation for The Chiefs.

Just sayin'.

I think if they don't sign a vet it's an indication that they're comfortable with Jonesy, Charlton, Danna, and Ward as their LDE rotation.
That’s not enough. I get we can’t fix everything in one offseason but I think we can all agree that DE is a big issue. Half the board hates Clark and surely nobody here believes that Danna, Taco, Kaindoh or Jones will fill the void left at DE on the other side.

We had legit problems getting pressure last year. Both Raiders games, Super Bowl and others highlighted this flaw.

Really hope we sign Ingram. It would help a ton
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:55 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
That’s not enough. I get we can’t fix everything in one offseason but I think we can all agree that DE is a big issue. Half the board hates Clark and surely nobody here believes that Danna, Taco, Kaindoh or Jones will fill the void left at DE on the other side.

We had legit problems getting pressure last year. Both Raiders games, Super Bowl and others highlighted this flaw.

Really hope we sign Ingram. It would help a ton
Except that WE don't know shit.

We really don't. We don't watch every practice, we don't sit in on defensive meetings. We have no idea what the team's collective opinion is on anything at all.

I think it's entirely likely that we sign an Ingram type later in the offseason. But if they don't, it says a lot about how they feel about Ward, Charlton, Danna, and Kaindoh.

But what WE agree on or don't agree on isn't based on full knowledge of the situation. Spags and Daly may have an entirely different opinion, and theirs is what matters.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:15 AM 06-17-2021
A reasonable opportunity that is. Or one that they liked.

I'd still think Ingram or Houston or something may be on the table, but theres no rush.
I can't imagine that Houston's pride would allow him to sign with the Chiefs and I'm not even sure if he'd be all that welcome in the lockerroom.

It sure appears to me that outside of injury, the Chiefs are going with the guys they currently have on the roster and if Jones is going to spend 35% of his snaps or more at DE, I'm not even sure another signing, especially an older vet, even makes any sense.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:16 AM 06-17-2021
If the Chiefs made their decisions based on whether or not "this forum *likes* a player", this team would be no better than 4-12 every year.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:32 PM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
If the Chiefs made their decisions based on whether or not "this forum *likes* a player", this team would be no better than 4-12 every year.
according to this forum (or a chunk of it) we're going to go 6-11 because they want to play Chris Jones at LDE on every down.

Oh, and Veach doesn't know what he's doing either.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 02:07 PM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
If they’re switching to more of a 4-man under front, the strong side DE lines up in the same technique Jones played and excelled at in the odd front run by Sutton.

His most productive pass rushing season was in that role. Color me not concerned if that’s where he aligns against 12 or 21 offensive sets.

I think against 11 personnel we’ll see Jones inside next to Reed.

If you assume they’re going to use Jones as a 7 or 9 tech at E, yeah, that seems weird and unlikely to work. It also seems incredibly unlikely. I would bet he lines up as a 4-tech or 5 tech whenever he’s at DE (depending on where the TE ends up).
Should’ve just closed the thread after this.
[Reply]
RealSNR 04:20 PM 06-17-2021
We’re also going on like Year 5 of being weak at CB.

“We need corners! Why the hell did we draft this chump and not a CB? Don’t the Chiefs see this massive hole at the position??!!!”

Are we gonna have to go through the same thing for the next several years with DE? Fans bitching about a particular position while the Chiefs are totally fine with what they’ve got because it’s just not as important to what they run?

If only the Chiefs would listen to the fans more!
[Reply]
staylor26 04:36 PM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by RealSNR:

“We need corners! Why the hell did we draft this chump and not a CB? Don’t the Chiefs see this massive hole at the position??!!!”

Are we gonna have to go through the same thing for the next several years with DE? Fans bitching about a particular position while the Chiefs are totally fine with what they’ve got because it’s just not as important to what they run?

Fire Veach and hire Direckshun? We can fly a banner!
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:06 PM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by RealSNR:

for a minute there, I was like...what? weak at corner?

And then I realized it was SARCASM.
[Reply]
Halfcan 08:47 PM 06-17-2021
Stone Cold Jones and the Shark are going to dominate this season.
[Reply]
Direckshun 08:50 AM 06-18-2021
Originally Posted by Chiefs=Champions:
Jones is basically Justin Tuck's height and weight, he played both positions for spags.
Justin Tuck was 6'5", 265 lbs. Jones is 315ish. He'd have to lose 50 pounds to get down to Tuck's size.

Reporting has said he's slimmed down this offseason, but not that much.

This isn't a super important point or anything, just an FYI.
[Reply]
Direckshun 08:52 AM 06-18-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
If they’re switching to more of a 4-man under front, the strong side DE lines up in the same technique Jones played and excelled at in the odd front run by Sutton.

His most productive pass rushing season was in that role. Color me not concerned if that’s where he aligns against 12 or 21 offensive sets.

I think against 11 personnel we’ll see Jones inside next to Reed.

If you assume they’re going to use Jones as a 7 or 9 tech at E, yeah, that seems weird and unlikely to work. It also seems incredibly unlikely. I would bet he lines up as a 4-tech or 5 tech whenever he’s at DE (depending on where the TE ends up).
We don't have to speculate what the strongside DE does in our defense. We know what it does. Kpass has played that position for two years.

And it looks very different from the position Jones played under Sutton.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 21
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Up