ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 30 of 37
« First < 202627282930 31323334 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Let's talk WRs
OldSchool 09:52 AM 09-19-2014
Who's your top ranked receiver right now?

For me, the most pro-ready and best all around prospect at WR is Amari Cooper. He would come in and immediately start across from Bowe and eventually replace him as the primary WR.

What's wrong with Sammy Coates?

The guy has all of the tools in the world, I would equate him to Vernon Davis but at the WR position, but he hasn't produced much at all this season. Coates isn't even close to being his team's leading receiver so I'm not going to blame it on the scheme. Physically, Coates looks like a top 10 pick but his production is that of a mid to late rounder. Where would you take him?

Any thoughts on Coates' teammate, D'haquille Williams?

There is a massive difference in production between he and Sammy Coates so far this year; yes, this could be entirely due to Coates being injured from the Arkansas game but Coates only caught one pass in that game and dropped a possible TD pass despite playing 52 snaps against the Razorbacks. Williams is a JUCO transfer with good size, speed, and explosiveness, though not on the same level as Coates as far as pure physical ability goes. Is he a potential #1 WR or just a 2 at best?

Does DGB declare? If so, do you even dare to touch him given his off-field issues?

Despite not playing this season, I think that there is a real possibility that DGB does declare for the 2015 NFL draft; he just doesn't seem like the type of person who would be willing to go through another year of college over getting paid as a pro athlete. If he does declare, what round would you be willing to take a risk on him? The guy has had problems with at least two key NFL issues, abuse of women and weed. DGB has top 5 talent but an off-field reputation that would have him banned from the league if he had committed those acts as a Pro.

Do Jaelen Strong, Kevin White, or Devante Parker have enough speed to be potential #1 WRs? If not, are their other gifts good enough for them to be close to what Larry Fitzgerald has been in the league?

Is Stefon Diggs actually that fast? When I watch him, I don't see the same dimension of speed that guys like Jackson, Wallace, etc have. I'll be very curious to see what he actually runs at the Combine.

Who are you guys keeping your eyes on this year at the WR position?
[Reply]
OldSchool 04:46 PM 04-03-2015
Originally Posted by smith11:
vince mayle is 6-2 and has size to run slants like bowe did
He's a bit slow though. Might as well use Hemingway for that.
[Reply]
Saccopoo 08:09 PM 04-03-2015
Originally Posted by OldSchool:
He's a bit slow though. Might as well use Hemingway for that.
2/10's of a second faster than Jarvis Landry was at the combine while having to change his starting sprint stance because of a broken thumb.

The difference between Mayle and Hemingway is that Mayle gets off the line and out of his breaks quickly. Hemingway, for whatever reason (and it's not due to athleticism or speed that he has, because he does have both) doesn't have that initial burst on the field. Or at least hasn't shown it. He's been a long strider that needs build up speed, which is interesting as his three cone and shuttle times were excellent. (Just goes to show you that numbers aren't necessarily the end all, be all of judging a player.)

Mayle plays quick for a guy his size and shows good burst. He's also been insanely productive while having to deal with double teams for the entire 2014 season. They couldn't really hide him or protect him at Washington State.
[Reply]
planetdoc 09:05 PM 04-03-2015
interestingly enough the chiefs are going to work out a TE (Will Tye) who is as tall as Vince Mayle, and is much faster while weighing 40lbs more.

the chiefs have done a good job acquiring speed at the skill positions
Maclin 4.43 forty
Wilson 4.43
DAT 4.39 proday
Charles 4.38
Davis 4.37
Kelce 4.61 (similar weight/speed as Will Tye)
Da'Rick Rodgers 4.52

Speed (specifically immediate speed) at the skill position makes a lot of sense for the chiefs. It gets the ball out of Alex Smith's hands quickly (saving him from sacks) while making the offensive line look better because they dont have to pass protect as long.
[Reply]
milkman 05:39 AM 04-04-2015
Originally Posted by planetdoc:
interestingly enough the chiefs are going to work out a TE (Will Tye) who is as tall as Vince Mayle, and is much faster while weighing 40lbs more.

the chiefs have done a good job acquiring speed at the skill positions
Maclin 4.43 forty
Wilson 4.43
DAT 4.39 proday
Charles 4.38
Davis 4.37
Kelce 4.61 (similar weight/speed as Will Tye)
Da'Rick Rodgers 4.52

Speed (specifically immediate speed) at the skill position makes a lot of sense for the chiefs. It gets the ball out of Alex Smith's hands quickly (saving him from sacks) while making the offensive line look better because they dont have to pass protect as long.
Immediate speed?
[Reply]
Saccopoo 08:04 AM 04-04-2015
Originally Posted by milkman:
Immediate speed?
Fast guys I assume.

The problem with the 40 time is that it doesn't necessarily translate to field, game day speed - especially at the skill positions, where you rarely get an opportunity to just burst on down the field in a straight line untouched.

There's a reason that teams pay attention to the 3 Cone and Shuttle times as well as watch the guys on tape in pads.

As an example, the TE that planetdoc mentioned, Will Tye, while possessing an incredible 40 time, does not have the stats to necessarily back up his time 40 speed and athleticism that one would initially assume goes with that raw speed. Averaged about 40 catches for 500 yards and 4.5 TD's while at Stony Brook against Stony Brook level competition. And he could not get onto the field at Florida State in his first two years in college football. (One reception for 7 yards in two years. That's it.)

Then you have the case of Jarvis Landry, who, at 5'11" and 190 lb., runs an incredibly slow 4.8 40 at the combine but has a terrific rookie year last year for the Dolphins catching 84 passes for 758 yards and 5 TDs.
[Reply]
planetdoc 09:30 AM 04-04-2015
Originally Posted by milkman:
Immediate speed?
I agree with your point that 40 time isn't indicative of 'immediate speed.' I bet their 10yrd splits are also pretty fast, and I think most would agree that DAT, Wilson, Maclin, and Charles are quick twitch guys.
[Reply]
milkman 11:17 AM 04-04-2015
Originally Posted by planetdoc:
I agree with your point that 40 time isn't indicative of 'immediate speed.' I bet their 10yrd splits are also pretty fast, and I think most would agree that DAT, Wilson, Maclin, and Charles are quick twitch guys.
So, I think what you are referencing is quickness and agility, combined with burst, to get into the routes cleanly.
[Reply]
kcbubb 07:49 AM 04-05-2015
http://sports.yahoo.com/video/mike-m...224800292.html

Good video. Sorry if repost.
[Reply]
gonefishin53 01:30 PM 04-05-2015
Tyler Lockett's NFL.com draft profile and workout numbers are very close to Desean Jackson's NFL.com draft profile and workout numbers. Lockett's route running and hand use vs press coverage make him as likely as any prospect to be a solid contributor as a rookie. That will elevate his draft stock in NFL draft rooms more than it will on the media draft boards. If the Chiefs want Lockett, they will have to get him at pick #49 (barring trades) because he will not be available at pick #80. The Eagles drafted Desean Jackson at pick #49.
[Reply]
Bowser 02:56 PM 04-05-2015
Originally Posted by kcbubb:
http://sports.yahoo.com/video/mike-m...224800292.html

Good video. Sorry if repost.
I really don't think we're taking a receiver in the first (that video is proof that there is depth at the position in this draft), but man if one of those top four guys could find a way to slide to 18....
[Reply]
buddha 04:39 PM 04-05-2015
Originally Posted by Bowser:
I really don't think we're taking a receiver in the first (that video is proof that there is depth at the position in this draft), but man if one of those top four guys could find a way to slide to 18....
You take him, IMO. We have been so WR poor for so long, I want a full stable of impact guys as quickly as possible.
[Reply]
Bowser 05:04 PM 04-05-2015
Originally Posted by buddha:
You take him, IMO. We have been so WR poor for so long, I want a full stable of impact guys as quickly as possible.
I'm with you 100%, I just don't think they'll do it. I think they're looking at the Agholor-Dorsett-Lockett-Hardy types in the second and beyond.
[Reply]
Saccopoo 06:05 PM 04-05-2015
Originally Posted by Bowser:
I'm with you 100%, I just don't think they'll do it. I think they're looking at the Agholor-Dorsett-Lockett-Hardy types in the second and beyond.
A combination of a Lockett type in the second and a Mayle type in the fourth would be ideal.
[Reply]
Bowser 06:23 PM 04-05-2015
Originally Posted by Saccopoo:
A combination of a Lockett type in the second and a Mayle type in the fourth would be ideal.
1) Kevin Johnson - CB
2) Tyler Lockett - WR
3) Stephone Anthony - ILB
3) Josue Matias - OG
4) Vince Mayle - WR
5) Nick O'Leary - TE

I'd take that in a damned heartbeat (threw the O'Leary in the fifth in as fluff, but I'm sure some team will reach for him earlier...)
[Reply]
planetdoc 07:28 PM 04-05-2015
kenny bell is a pretty good all around wr
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profil...ell?id=2552421
[Reply]
Page 30 of 37
« First < 202627282930 31323334 > Last »
Up