ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Gendered language like 'manhole' will soon be banned from California city codes
Hammock Parties 05:46 PM 07-18-2019
https://www.kmbc.com/article/whateve...-1969/28435410
:-):-):-)

Originally Posted by :
BERKELEY, Calif. —

Soon, there will be no more manholes in the city of Berkeley, California. There will also be no chairmen, no manpower, no policemen or policewomen.

No, that doesn't mean a whole city will be without committee leaders and law enforcement. It means that words that imply a gender preference will be removed from the city's codes and replaced with gender-neutral terms, according a recently adopted ordinance.

The city voted Tuesday night to replace gendered terms in its municipal codes, like "manhole" and "manpower," with gender-neutral ones like "maintenance hole" and "human effort."

The item passed without discussion or comments and was not controversial, said Berkeley City Council member Rigel Robinson, the bill's primary author.

"There's power in language," Robinson said. "This is a small move, but it matters."

The revised city documents also will replace instances of gendered pronouns, such as "he" and "she" with "they," according to the ordinance.

Berkeley's municipal code currently contains mostly masculine pronouns, the office of the city manager said in a letter to the mayor and city council.

"Having a male-centric municipal code is inaccurate and not reflective of our reality," Robinson said. "Women and non-binary individuals are just as entitled to accurate representation. Our laws are for everyone, and our municipal code should reflect that."

[Reply]
Imon Yourside 07:36 AM 07-20-2019
Originally Posted by kjwood75nro:
its?
Add a T and you have something
[Reply]
stevieray 07:52 AM 07-20-2019
uh oh...Hunt's Manwich?
[Reply]
Munson 07:59 AM 07-20-2019

[Reply]
DJJasonp 08:43 AM 07-20-2019
I for one welcome this new city code.

It was a real turnoff when women would say to me "put it in my manhole"!
[Reply]
Bowser 08:58 AM 07-20-2019
Originally Posted by Munson:
:-)
[Reply]
2bikemike 09:41 AM 07-20-2019
Originally Posted by scho63:
This reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where his "man purse" was robbed and as he was trying to describe it to the police officer he called it a stupid long skewed name "European Carryall" to describe it and the policeman couldn't understand what the **** he had stolen until he finally said, YES IT WAS A PURSE! :-)
Excuse me but don't you mean Policeperson?
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 10:01 AM 07-20-2019
Cut that bitch state off and let it float into the ocean.
[Reply]
vailpass 10:01 AM 07-20-2019
No Manhole? They’re gonna’ have to rename some gay bars.
[Reply]
HemiEd 01:54 PM 07-20-2019
MORE GOVERNMENT11111111111! Is there no end to this craziness?
[Reply]
HemiEd 01:59 PM 07-20-2019
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Look, everyone tends to spat with cosmo at some time or another, but can we just all pause and give cosmo a round of applause here?
Yep, I felt dirty giving him rep, but it deserved it.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:05 PM 07-20-2019
Originally Posted by RodeoPants2:
You seem pretty concerned about what a city in california chooses to call its personhole covers
i'm actually not

it's humor

i thought this was an onion article at first
[Reply]
J Diddy 02:12 PM 07-20-2019
This thread made me literally die.

If you don't like it go jump down a street hole
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 07:12 AM 07-21-2019
Gendered language is so problematic.

Excuse me, I Have to attend my feminist rally. We're discussing toxic masculinity and manspreading. Now stop mansplaining so I can go end patriarchy.

-Woke Progressives (without a hint of irony)
[Reply]
Flying High D 09:09 AM 07-21-2019
Herpes?
[Reply]
J Diddy 09:22 AM 07-21-2019
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
Gendered language is so problematic.

Excuse me, I Have to attend my feminist rally. We're discussing toxic masculinity and manspreading. Now stop mansplaining so I can go end patriarchy.

-Woke Progressives (without a hint of irony)
Some take it all the way there and some don’t. Sort of like some conservatives march with tiki torches and yell “Jews will not replace us” and some don’t. Point is there will always be hard versions of an ideology that shouldn’t be confused for the whole.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up