ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 17
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Patteeu Memorial Political Forum>Dave Chapelle's "The Closer": He Fucking Roasts Everyone
AdolfOliverBush 11:30 AM 10-12-2021
Of course comedy is subjective, but I loved it. Chappelle absolutely does not give a rat's ass about backlash for his words. Comedy should be without limits. I think even us maniacs in CPDC who watch it will mostly give it a thumbs up.

Netflix chief Ted Sarandos defends controversial Dave Chappelle special in staff memo: Reports
Jenna Ryu
USA TODAY

Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos is defending his decision to keep comedian Dave Chappelle's controversial special "The Closer" on the streaming service.

In a Friday staff memo obtained by Variety and The Verge, Sarandos pledged Netflix's commitment to the special, despite backlash about the comedian's transphobic comments. "Chappelle is one of the most popular stand-up comedians today, and we have a long standing deal with him," Sarandos wrote in Chappelle's defense.

He continued: "As with our other talent, we work hard to support their creative freedom – even though this means there will always be content on Netflix some people believe is harmful, like 'Cuties,' '365 Days,' '13 Reasons Why,' or 'My Unorthodox Life.' "

Chappelle drew criticism for his comments in the special about the transgender community, including his defense of author J. K. Rowling, who previously conflated sex with gender and defended ideas suggesting that changing one's biological sex was a threat to her own gender identity.

"They canceled J.K. Rowling – my God," Chappelle said. "Effectually she said gender was a fact, the trans community got mad as (expletive), they started calling her a TERF… I'm Team TERF. I agree. I agree, man. Gender is a fact."

TERF is an acronym that stands for "trans exclusionary radical feminists" and describes feminists who are transphobic.

In the memo, Sarandos used Chappelle's previous special "Sticks & Stones" as an example, writing that it was also "controversial" and "our most watched, stickiest, and most award winning stand-up special to date."

USA TODAY has reached out to Netflix for comment.

Netflix CEO Ted Sarandos defended comedian Dave Chappelle's controversial comedy special, "The Closer." Sarandos also said Netflix doesn't believe that "The Closer" promotes hate speech.

"Several of you have also asked where we draw the line on hate. We don’t allow titles on Netflix that are designed to incite hate or violence, and we don’t believe 'The Closer' crosses that line," he said.

"I recognize, however, that distinguishing between commentary and harm is hard, especially with stand-up comedy which exists to push boundaries. Some people find the art of stand-up to be mean-spirited but our members enjoy it, and it’s an important part of our content offering."

"The Closer," the sixth installment in the comedian's Netflix deal, which the "Chappelle's Show" comedian describes as "his last special for a minute," includes tongue-in-cheek jokes about race, the coronavirus pandemic and negotiating "the release of DaBaby" after the rapper's homophobic comments.

Many on social media slammed Chappelle and the streaming platform, including writer Jaclyn Moore, who also serves as showrunner for Netflix's "Dear White People."

In-depth story:How trans 'Harry Potter' fans are grappling with J.K. Rowling's legacy after her transphobic comments

"I've been thrown against walls because, 'I'm not a "real" woman,' " Moore, who is transgender, tweeted. "I've had beer bottles thrown at me. So, @Netflix, I'm done."

Advocacy group GLAAD responded to the memo Monday.

“Netflix has a policy that content ‘designed to incite hate or violence’ is not allowed on the platform, but we all know that anti-LGBTQ content does exactly that," GLAAD said in a statement. "While Netflix is home to groundbreaking LGBTQ stories, now is the time for Netflix execs to listen to LGBTQ employees, industry leaders, and audiences and commit to living up to their own standards.”

Last week, the group tweeted that Chappelle's brand "has become synonymous with ridiculing trans people and other marginalized communities."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...ts/6094754001/
[Reply]
listopencil 07:28 AM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Really depended on the guest. Some shows were really outstanding, others really sucked.

I will say that I like Seinfeld much better after watching the show. I felt it allowed his intelligence and humanity to shine. His standup is fine, and the original TV show was fine as well, the better parts weren't Seinfeld himself.
I went through it after there were multiple seasons available. First I hit the episodes with guests that interested me. Then I went back and watched the ones I had skipped the first time around. There were a few duds but I was entertained and the high points outweighed the low points.
[Reply]
listopencil 07:33 AM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan27:
Louis CK had all kinds of incredibly homophobic material that you could easily find online and is one one of the most successful comics to ever exist. In fact, basically all of the most successful comics over recent decades have done material that pushed boundaries and many found offensive. As usual you have no idea what you're talking about.
Louis CK had no homophobic material. He remained ridiculously objective about homosexuality and lampooned it as part of the human experience.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 07:36 AM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Cancel culture is fucking absurd and people that whine about comedians being any of the "-ists" or "-phobics" need to be hit with a brick.

I can't believe they haven't gotten rid of The Office. I guess it's too beloved by a lot of the people that love to be offended and so they ignore the misogyny, "racist jokes", and "fatphobia".

Trans people literally need to just shut the fuck up and laugh about this. When did people stop being able to laugh at themselves. It's ridiculous.

When your identity is built on a shaky or non existent emotional foundation or mental state and not healthily developed over time, yet you project that identity to the world of internet strangers as the most important thing to oneself, everything is seen as a personal attack from which they cannot process the stress and anxiety resulting from their very core of mental and emotional issues.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:42 AM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by listopencil:
Louis CK had no homophobic material. He remained ridiculously objective about homosexuality and lampooned it as part of the human experience.
That's the thing, the cancellation obsession starts with characterizing anything that talks about certain subjects without couching them exclusive in terms of 'stunning and brave' as hatred, bigotry and phobia, then it asserts that such characterizations [which as we've established is hatred, bigotry and phobia] are actual physical damage to 'marginalized people' who lack the capacity to deal with matters in the same way as other sentient adults.

The crux is, 'our' side isn't marketing the argument well either. A comic wants laughs. They don't want hate or pain. But laughs are often, very very very often, interspersed with a little pain. But an able comic in tandem with a gracious audience navigates that pain in a safe environment to share laughter.

The marketing isn't that we want the right to make fun of the marginalized. It's that we want the marginalized to participate in the environment of laughter along with everyone else. It becomes dizzying and confusing, and ultimately demoralizing, to navigate humor when you have uncharitable people in the audience who are willing to laugh when others are skewered then demand everything stop and everyone stop laughing when their sensibilities are in the spotlight.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:44 AM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
it veered a little too far into the Hannah Gatsby zone of just preaching and whining and then staring at the crowd until they laugh.
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
I didn't find it particularly funny, but it was smart, courageous, and compelling, which ironically comedy critics were hailing as the new benchmarks for showcase standup specials when that Nannette TED-talk mishegas hit a year or so ago.
:-)

- PS Gadsby
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 09:22 AM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by Snopes Hammer:
Read it s l o w e r.... Maybe you will figure it out...
[Reply]
mkp785 11:20 AM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
probably the best view of this was the credits for her Comedy Central skit show. She ironically had already started puffing up by the time they started filming actual episodes.
Yeah. That was the best version. So you'd have to go back 11 years or so but she WAS doable....back in the Obama years. Another thing that the Trump years ruined :-)

As to the special. As per usual clownstaylor is being stupid. Dave rarely goes BLM, and most of his jokes are ripping women and trannys. I found it funny. Very ironic that the whole time he predicts what's gonna happen talking about canceling and how the alphabets are relentless.
[Reply]
-King- 12:27 PM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Yea that is totally the same as a Netflix special when you’re Dave Chapelle :-)

I like Andrew Schultz, but he wouldn’t dare do what Chapelle did on that platform. He’s nowhere near that big, therefor not really on the mob’s radar. If he went on Netflix and did that now though? They go after the big fish hardest like Chapelle and Hart.

The woke mob doesn’t care about an old video from Andrew Schultz right now. That’s only relevant if he blows up and is doing that shit after, or they decide to dig that video up.
Schulz is one of the biggest comedians in the country right now and has kept doing those same type of jokes. He makes those same type of jokes weekly on his podcasts. Those jokes are what got him his Netflix series earlier this year.
[Reply]
staylor26 12:28 PM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
Schulz is one of the biggest comedians in the country right now and has kept doing those same type of jokes. Those jokes are what got him his Netflix series earlier this year.
And did he make those jokes on Netflix? Has he he even done it in the last 2 years when he’s started to blow up?

He’s “big” if you’re really into comedy. The average person has no clue who he is, which separates him from guys like Chapelle and Hart.

You don’t seem to understand that the woke mob aren’t even fans of comedy. They only hear/know about it if it’s 100% mainstream.
[Reply]
-King- 12:33 PM 10-13-2021
And did he make those jokes on Netflix?
Yeah he had a couple trans jokes but his series was more of a rapid fire one liner kind of comedy more than it was a actual stand up. But yeah he makes all types of jokes on everyone. Makes fun of trans, gays, black people, Jews, etc. He does it weekly. Still hasn't been cancelled.
[Reply]
vonBobo 01:07 PM 10-13-2021
Jeff Dunham is coming to the t mobile center, everyone put on your best camo pants!
[Reply]
staylor26 01:13 PM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
Yeah he had a couple trans jokes but his series was more of a rapid fire one liner kind of comedy more than it was a actual stand up. But yeah he makes all types of jokes on everyone. Makes fun of trans, gays, black people, Jews, etc. He does it weekly. Still hasn't been cancelled.
Again, you’re ignoring that generally speaking, the woke cult doesn’t know who Andrew Schultz is. Real fans of comedy know who he is because you have to actually be a fan of comedy and look for it to find people like him and Bill Burr.

The average person, especially woke miserable fucks with no sense of humor, doesn’t know who those guys are.

Also, I think it’s telling that the best example of his that you used was clearly an old video before he really blew up. Show me some Netflix stuff that is equal to Dave and I’ll believe you.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 01:15 PM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by vonBobo:
Jeff Dunham is coming to the t mobile center, everyone put on your best camo pants!
IMO he's the least funny well-known comedian working today. Ventriloquists can suck it.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 01:26 PM 10-13-2021
Again, you’re ignoring that generally speaking, the woke cult doesn’t know who Andrew Schultz is. Real fans of comedy know who he is because you have to actually be a fan of comedy and look for it to find people like him and Bill Burr.

The average person, especially woke miserable ****s with no sense of humor, doesn’t know who those guys are.

Also, I think it’s telling that the best example of his that you used was clearly an old video before he really blew up. Show me some Netflix stuff that is equal to Dave and I’ll believe you.
Comedy is 100% subjective, but IMO Schultz is not in the same league as Burr, regardless of their subject matter. Burr is a master of his craft, and guys like Schultz are a dime a dozen.
[Reply]
Mennonite 01:33 PM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
Ventriloquists can suck it.
They can, and you won't even see their lips move.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 17
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Up