ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 18
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>I'll say it; Mike Vrabel is a huge liability on this defense
steelyeyed57 06:11 PM 12-12-2010
He routinely fails to set the edge on outside contain. He routinely fails to get near the QB on his blitzes. He is routinely beaten in pass coverage. Today, in particular, he had crucial missed tackles.
I realize he has a lot of knowledge and leadership, but his dwindling athleticism is negating whatever intangibles he brings to the table.
[Reply]
Coogs 09:38 AM 12-14-2010
Emmit Thomas might make it into this category as well.
[Reply]
RippedmyFlesh 09:42 AM 12-14-2010
Originally Posted by Amnorix:
Pepper Johnson is the perfect example here. A 12 year or whatever player, very good but not great. Had a nice career. A ring or two with the Giants. Wanted to become a coach, and is now the defensive line coach for the Patriots.
Pepper Johnson was real good but backups today make way more than he ever did.If he had not played on the giants he would have been most teams best lb.
[Reply]
milkman 09:44 AM 12-14-2010
Originally Posted by Coogs:
Emmit Thomas might make it into this category as well.
Back in the day, I don't know that anyone outside of KC recognized just how great ET was as a player, so there probably weren't a lot of opportunities for him on the national level to get into some kind of broadcasting, as there only three netwoks at that time, so I'm not sure that he really does fit.

He might have been well paid for his era, I don't know, but I doubt that there were many jobs in football other than coaching for him.
[Reply]
Coogs 10:13 AM 12-14-2010
Originally Posted by milkman:
Back in the day, I don't know that anyone outside of KC recognized just how great ET was as a player, so there probably weren't a lot of opportunities for him on the national level to get into some kind of broadcasting, as there only three netwoks at that time, so I'm not sure that he really does fit.

He might have been well paid for his era, I don't know, but I doubt that there were many jobs in football other than coaching for him.
OK. I guess I did not read far enough back to see what this whole discussion was about. I just thought it was about high paid players going/not going into coaching.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 10:28 AM 12-14-2010
By the way, not to go off speculation but its widely speculated that he would love to coach for ohio state in some capacity. That includes my buddy in columbus, who knows his kids. And I believe much has been written about it already. He lives in columbus and to my knowledge would love to stay there.
[Reply]
MOhillbilly 10:37 AM 12-14-2010
got to meet pepper johnson. Most vets make it because they have that 'it' between the ears.
[Reply]
Rasputin 10:50 AM 12-14-2010
I think the bigger liability than Vrabel is Thomas Jones. Way too often he gets stuffed at los and the offense starts out flat from that. I would love to see Jackie Battle get the carries rather than Jones. Need to get JC going from the start and then mix Jackie Battle in there. Vrabel and Jones are just in the way of developement of the younger guys with playing time.
[Reply]
Norman Einstein 10:52 AM 12-14-2010
Originally Posted by Cool han Luke:
I think the bigger liability than Vrabel is Thomas Jones. Way too often he gets stuffed at los and the offense starts out flat from that. I would love to see Jackie Battle get the carries rather than Jones. Need to get JC going from the start and then mix Jackie Battle in there. Vrabel and Jones are just in the way of developement of the younger guys with playing time.
Jones might be older but his experience has paid off. Unless there is a total fail in KC in the final three games he will have 1000+ yards this season. I don't see him as a problem, I see him as a good tool and mentor for the young guys.
[Reply]
milkman 10:59 AM 12-14-2010
I'm not sure what Jackie Battle has done to make anyone think he's a guy that needs carries.

He looked like total crap on the two or three carries he got in garbage time on Sunday.

I think it's a mistake to start the games with Jones ahead of Charles, but I haven't seen anyhting from Battle to suggest he should be taking carries away from Jones.
[Reply]
Frosty 11:50 AM 12-14-2010
Originally Posted by milkman:
I'm not sure what Jackie Battle has done to make anyone think he's a guy that needs carries.

He looked like total crap on the two or three carries he got in garbage time on Sunday.

I think it's a mistake to start the games with Jones ahead of Charles, but I haven't seen anyhting from Battle to suggest he should be taking carries away from Jones.
This. Other than some runs against scrubs in preseason, I haven't seen Battle do anything.

I was banging the Blount drum before the draft. He was available three times after the draft. That would have been a nice little (and cheap) insurance policy. :-)
[Reply]
Hootie 12:01 PM 12-14-2010
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Name me a coach that earned in excess of $50 million in his playing career.

If Vrabel stays in the game in any capacity, it'll be in network broadcasting.

It's a stupid ****ing argument, just as it was with Trent Green.
well that's just not possible you fucking moron because all of the coaches today played in an era where $50M was reserved for the Joe Montana's...

I'm not saying Vrabel will coach but there are plenty of coaches out there who had Vrabel like careers...
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:47 PM 12-14-2010
Originally Posted by The Meat Dragon:
well that's just not possible you fucking moron because all of the coaches today played in an era where $50M was reserved for the Joe Montana's...

I'm not saying Vrabel will coach but there are plenty of coaches out there who had Vrabel like careers...
As usual, NostraDrunkAss, you miss the point.

The overwhelming reason that players from earlier eras went into coaching is because they didn't make enough money from their playing days to live comfortably for the rest of their lives.

And like LilStumpy, you failed to mention even one former NFL player that earned in excess of even $20 million during his playing days that later became a coach.

I realize that people like you, LilStumpy and all of other children that post on this site aren't familiar with the real world. But the bottom line is that 99.99999% of people who earn millions upon millions of dollars in the NFL, so much that not only are they set up for life, but their children's children are set up for life, would choose never to work a day in their lives ever again, when given the option of working 80 hours a week as a coach at 1/10 the salary earned as a player.
[Reply]
Sully 03:16 PM 12-14-2010
Vrabel went to Ohio University.
Ohio State
[Reply]
Hootie 03:20 PM 12-14-2010
so is that why NBA players like Larry Bird and Isiah Thomas went into coaching? They needed the money?

I agree that a guy like Vrabel probably wouldn't take a shitty 100K a year assistant coaching job which required 100 hours of work a week...

but it doesn't mean it couldn't happen...

some people just love the game
[Reply]
Rudy tossed tigger's salad 03:24 PM 12-14-2010

And like LilStumpy, you failed to mention even one former NFL player that earned in excess of even $20 million during his playing days that later became a coach.
Jim Harbaugh! What do I win?!

But really...I agree with you
[Reply]
Page 11 of 18
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Up