ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 17 of 51
« First < 71314151617 1819202127 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>New Chief TE Travis Kelce
TribalElder 06:43 PM 04-26-2013
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profil...lce?id=2540258

OVERVIEW
In high school, Kelce was a three sport star, but his best sport was always football. He was a three-year letter winner at quarterback, and earned All-Lake Erie League honors after totaling 2,539 yards of total offense and 31 total touchdowns as a senior. Kelce’s uncle Don Blalock played football at Purdue and grandfather Don Blalock played football at Ohio. Travis is the younger brother of former Cincinnati Bearcats and current Philadelphia Eagles center Jason Kelce.

In his first year on campus, Travis redshirted. In his redshirt freshman year, Kelce participated in 11 games as the tight end. He caught one pass for three yards. Kelce also played some quarterback, strictly in a Wildcat role. He logged eight carries for 47 yards and two touchdowns. Kelce did not play in 2010, as he was suspended for a violation of team rules. Upon his return in 2011, Kelce caught 13 passes for 150 yards and two touchdowns. In his senior season, Kelce put himself on the NFL prospect map, as he caught 45 passes for 722 yards and eight touchdowns. He was selected to the All-Big East first team for his play.
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Kelce has an ideal tight end frame. Athletic for his size, with great strength, and the ability to stretch the field vertically. Very physical run blocker, generates power from the lower half, and will move defenders off the ball. Plays with leverage. Wide catching radius, can adjust and make the difficult catch. Tough to bring down after the catch. Light feet, and has lined up in numerous different positions.
WEAKNESSES Suspended for an entire season for violating team rules. Only one season of production. Doesn't have blazing speed. Not a tremendously explosive athlete. Doesn't come out of his breaks all that well.
NFL COMPARISON Rob Gronkowski
BOTTOM LINE Kelce has been a tremendous run blocker throughout his career for the Bearcats, but really elevated his game as a receiver in his senior season. He isn't a tremendous athlete, but he does a lot of things very well. It's a deep tight end class, but Kelce's play suggests that he should be highly sought after.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 09:21 PM 04-26-2013
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Our GM/coaches worked out these QBs. They have no problem passing on them for other players right now. Perhaps they are wrong. But I'm guessing they have significantly more data than you on which to base that decision.
You're saying Reid and Dorsey know more about qbs than Chiefs fans do?
[Reply]
beach tribe 09:22 PM 04-26-2013
Originally Posted by DaFace:
OMG THE CHIEFS ARE SO STUPID FOR TRYING TO WIN NOW WITH ALEX SMITH!!!

(Chiefs take the best player available)

OMG THE CHIEFS ARE SO STUPID FOR NOT DRAFTING TO FILL AN IMMEDIATE NEED!!!

My issue is that ChiefsPlanet's value as a source for good Chiefs news and discussion is rapidly falling. It's nothing but bitching and unsubstantiated posturing anymore.

Anyway, carry on with the bitching. People seem to love it I guess.
Agreed.
[Reply]
In58men 09:33 PM 04-26-2013
Originally Posted by hometeam:
I have decided drafting BPA is stupid.
It's been stupid. It's a fucking security blanket for sorry asses coaches to use down the road. But....but...but he was the BPA at the time.
[Reply]
KCrockaholic 09:33 PM 04-26-2013
Yup. DaFace nailed it...
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 09:34 PM 04-26-2013
Originally Posted by Inmem58:
It's been stupid. It's a ****ing security blanket for sorry asses coaches to use down the road. But....but...but he was the BPA at the time.
I really don't see the problem with the Kelce pick. He has potential to be significantly better than anyone else they have.
[Reply]
Frosty 09:36 PM 04-26-2013
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
Kelce said he tested positive for marijuana at Cincinnati, leading to his suspension.
Wait. I thought this guy was a raging alcoholic. Smoking pot when it can get you suspended is stupid but isn't that big a deal (Houston and Hali say hi). Just needs to put it aside until after the NFL.
[Reply]
philfree 09:44 PM 04-26-2013
Do I have this right? Kelce had more yards and twice as many TDs in his SR season as Eifert the 1st TE off the board 21st overall. Seems like a good pick to me.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 09:47 PM 04-26-2013
Chiefs having to correct one of Fat Scott's many mistakes from a few drafts ago... passing on Jimmy Graham to draft Moeaki.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 09:49 PM 04-26-2013
Originally Posted by philfree:
Do I have this right? Kelce had more yards and twice as many TDs in his SR season as Eifert the 1st TE off the board 21st overall. Seems like a good pick to me.
Kelce also looks like a monster blocker.

Reid's TEs almost always get over 600 yards and sometimes approach 1,000. You get that out of the TE and a terrific blocker and this is a terrific pick.
[Reply]
philfree 09:54 PM 04-26-2013
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Kelce also looks like a monster blocker.

Reid's TEs almost always get over 600 yards and sometimes approach 1,000. You get that out of the TE and a terrific blocker and this is a terrific pick.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/30133

Originally Posted by :
Draft Analysis

WHAT HE BRINGS
Kelce is an underrated prospect and is one of the better athletes in the tight end class. He can separate and create after the catch but could improve his strength and technique as a blocker. Still, he has a chance to be a difference-maker as a pass-catcher

HOW HE FITS
This looks like another value pick, rather than a need, as the Chiefs already have Tony Moeaki and incoming free agent Anthony Fasano. When you look at this offense, the Chiefs probably have a low-level need for a No. 3 tight end who can give them production in the passing game. Kelce will likely be a move player who will flex and line up wide to get good matchups. It looks as if new coach Andy Reid wants to use more multi-tight-end sets than he did in Philadelphia, and the addition of Kelce gives them a lot of flexibility in the short passing game.
Alex Smith fans will love that.
[Reply]
Frosty 09:58 PM 04-26-2013
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Lot of guys the Chiefs could have taken that weren't Barkley.

Keenan Allen, Damontre Moore, Bacarri Rambo, Terrence Williams, Barret Jones, Quinton Patton, and many, many others.

Kelce was somewhere between the 4th-8th TE in the class. Just don't see the upside relative to the investment, especially given KC's holes.
On the plus side, they could still take the guys in bold tomorrow.
[Reply]
Fairplay 10:03 PM 04-26-2013
I'm thinking this could be a great pick. Moieki is gone.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:04 PM 04-26-2013
I seriously doubt Keenan Allen was ever an option for this team, he's another big slow guy with a knee problem that also has a positive drug test.

Even without that, after paying Bowe you don't want a plodder opposite him.
[Reply]
Nomadic1 11:49 PM 04-26-2013
It's hard to appreciate what Kelce does through just watching his receptions you tube. com/watch?v= gUj5zK06orY
You'll need to delete the spaces, apparently new users aren't supposed to post links.
In his time at Cincinnati, he took people's heads off on offense and special teams, he's been a great route runner, he has the kind of speed to challenge safeties, he's got great hands and is an incredible load to bring down.
He does not have a frat boy-ish personality, he was forced to sit through the 2010 season after he failed a drug screening for weed...
While I do not know the needs of the Chiefs, he's not way down the list of tight ends. Kid has everything you could want in a tight end, Scouts inc rated him the 4th best of a deep TE draft. Personally, I think he's 2nd. He may not be a pro bowler, he certainly won't hurt you. He's carved of wood and thus far, has not shown himself to be frail.

The only real knock with Kelce, is he is a hot head when he plays. He seems mellow off the field but he's incredibly competitive on it. Sometimes, to a fault.(Not like an every game thing though)

Interesting note, he came to UC as a quarterback...
[Reply]
Rausch 11:51 PM 04-26-2013
You better fucking shine b!tch.

You better shine...
[Reply]
Page 17 of 51
« First < 71314151617 1819202127 > Last »
Up