ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 896 of 934
« First < 396796846886892893894895896 897898899900906 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 07:53 PM 03-12-2023
My BIL was telling me he invested in some I-bonds that paid 10% around 3 months ago.
[Reply]
Rain Man 08:07 PM 03-12-2023
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
My BIL was telling me he invested in some I-bonds that paid 10% around 3 months ago.
Yeah, I've been buying those. I'd buy them all day except there's an annual purchase limit that's pretty low.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:49 AM 03-13-2023
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Of course you should. Absolutely. Though if you choose to do it, you’re likely safer with a Chase, Citi, or BOA.

And guys, re: the 1.3%. You do realize that during the largest financial crisis of our lives no depositors whether insured or uninsured lost money, right? Despite several hundred bank failures? There are assets against these bank deposits. And banks are so much more heavily regulated now than they had been (though a former unnamed president watered down regulations for smaller banks).

This SVB situation is super niche. They just did every stupid thing you could’ve done given their structure. Total mismanagement.
Am I understanding it right that they had a pissload of capital tied up in long term bonds that when the interest rate rose they lost value? Then they needed to raise capital and that's when the VC's all told their clients to GTFO and started the run on the bank?

It seems weird to me that a bank of all placed would tie up capital for the long term. I know that when interest rates didn't move for basically 20 years, it would be easy to get out of them, but as inflation poked up on the horizon (long before rates took off) that they would have unwound them, at least some of them.

I'm an idiot, but that's the way I see it.
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 01:18 PM 03-13-2023
I know this dude pretty well. We had the same mentor (Tim Sykes) and started in his program at almost exactly the same time. Jack started late 2016, I started early 2017. He's taken it a little further than me at this point, but I'm hot on his heels.

https://www.businessinsider.com/stoc...-4-2023-3?r=rr

A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
Laila Maidan Mar 12, 2023, 2:00 AM

Five years into his craft, he has already been exposed to various types of market conditions, including the stock market crash of 2020, the raging bull rallies of 2021, and the bear market of 2022. One thing he has learned through it all is to keep things simple and remain flexible.

"There's this acronym: KISS, keep it simple stupid. I don't think people need super fancy indicators to make money trading. I'm just using basic trend lines, support, resistance, volume, and those are all my indicators," Kellogg said. "I think if you overcomplicate the indicators, it will actually throw off your trading because then you're trading more on the indicators than the actual price action."

Spoiler!

[Reply]
ChiefRocka 04:42 PM 03-13-2023
Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks:

Five years into his craft, he has already been exposed to various types of market conditions, including the stock market crash of 2020

WAT?!?
[Reply]
Rain Man 05:32 PM 03-13-2023
Originally Posted by ChiefRocka:
WAT?!?
Were you not there?
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 05:38 PM 03-13-2023
Golden opportunity to make some 100% gains on bank stocks

I grabbed some PACW and FRC for the rebound
[Reply]
Rain Man 06:04 PM 03-13-2023

I'm pondering this as well. I picked up some miniscule amounts of SCHW and ABCB today. I really can't figure out why this stuff would have tanked SCHW so badly.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 06:07 PM 03-13-2023
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I'm pondering this as well. I picked up some miniscule amounts of SCHW and ABCB today. I really can't figure out why this stuff would have tanked SCHW so badly.
Over reaction plays at their best :-)
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 06:20 PM 03-13-2023
Originally Posted by ChiefRocka:
WAT?!?
I'm just taking a wild guess - I don't know the author of the article or have any super-secret inside info or anything - but maybe they were referring to Feb/March 2020 when the Dow went from almost 30K to 18k in 3 weeks.

Some nonsense called Covid or something. Maybe you were absent or on vacation and didn't hear about it?

[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 06:37 PM 03-13-2023

The good news is I got WAL in the low $8's. Was looking for bottoming price action and wanted to buy once it cleared the nearest whole-dollar psychological barrier which turned out to be $8.

The bad news is I piked out in the low $11s out of one of the early volatility halts. I was thrilled at first because it was a scary stock to be in and I was just glad the trade worked, then it went almost straight up over $25 and I wanted to puke. Left a lot of meat on that bone. Almost feels like a loss.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:43 PM 03-13-2023
Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks:
I know this dude pretty well. We had the same mentor (Tim Sykes) and started in his program at almost exactly the same time. Jack started late 2016, I started early 2017. He's taken it a little further than me at this point, but I'm hot on his heels.

https://www.businessinsider.com/stoc...-4-2023-3?r=rr

A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
Laila Maidan Mar 12, 2023, 2:00 AM

• One of Jack Kellogg's main indicators is the volume-weighted average price (VWAP).
  • This shows the average price paid for shares and helps him gauge sentiment.
  • He only uses indicators as a t=rough guide but never trades solely on them, he noted.
  • Jack Kellogg began trading stocks right out of high school in 2017.

Five years into his craft, he has already been exposed to various types of market conditions, including the stock market crash of 2020, the raging bull rallies of 2021, and the bear market of 2022. One thing he has learned through it all is to keep things simple and remain flexible.

"There's this acronym: KISS, keep it simple stupid. I don't think people need super fancy indicators to make money trading. I'm just using basic trend lines, support, resistance, volume, and those are all my indicators," Kellogg said. "I think if you overcomplicate the indicators, it will actually throw off your trading because then you're trading more on the indicators than the actual price action."

Spoiler!
Man that's awesome. And nice to see he's not using some crazy formulas and mostly just technical analysis.

I'll be honest, my trading only works in bull markets where I can be very successful trading for a profit that's a lot more than the index. However, I don't have the skills to be making money in markets like 2022 and so far 2023. Johnny, what are some of the strategies he'd be using in a market like 2022 to make such good money?
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 06:51 AM 03-14-2023

Made a killin this morning on both these. Already sold and re entered on the pull back . Plan to grab more if they drop at market open. FRC was at $123 eight days ago. Can't imagine it doesn't hit $75 -$85 within 2 weeks now
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 07:11 AM 03-14-2023
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Man that's awesome. And nice to see he's not using some crazy formulas and mostly just technical analysis.

I'll be honest, my trading only works in bull markets where I can be very successful trading for a profit that's a lot more than the index. However, I don't have the skills to be making money in markets like 2022 and so far 2023. Johnny, what are some of the strategies he'd be using in a market like 2022 to make such good money?
He's really just all about price action and studying. He works harder and studies more than anyone I've ever come in contact with in the trading business. He really capitalized on the crazy bull market at the end of 2020 and early 2021. Worked himself to the point of exhaustion and into some health problems that took him awhile to get over. He's toned it down a bit now.

But yeah, he's a master of price action. Whereas newbs are buying breakouts, high of day breaks, etc., Jack is buying the consolidation at the end of a down trend just before it reverses. So he's selling into the newbs who are buying breakouts and HOD breaks.

He also had the balls to size way up during that period in late 2020/early 2021. He crossed $1M in total trading profits in November 2020, and by March 2021 he was over $6M. So he really went all-in during that crazy run.

We're required to integrate our broker's trading platform with a tracking system called Profit.ly, so all our trades are automatically uploaded into their system. So you can't cheat the system or fudge numbers. As the Business Insider article claimed, they verified his numbers with tax returns. I'll attach Jack's Profit.ly profit chart, you can see the almost parabolic rise in his profits at the end of 2020 to early 2021.

[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 07:25 AM 03-14-2023
WAL was at 7.50 yesterday .

Now its at 37
[Reply]
Page 896 of 934
« First < 396796846886892893894895896 897898899900906 > Last »
Up