ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Media Center>Modern Remakes, Reboots, and Sequels That Don't Suck?
Mennonite 11:31 AM 06-08-2021
I'm not anti-remake, I'm anti- BAD remake. If you can remake a movie and improve on it that's great. If you are able to take an old idea and give it a new (and interesting!) new spin that's fantastic.

99% of the time that isn't what we get. Almost always it's a tepid remake of a better movie that is little more than a cash grab designed to make a few bucks based on nothing more than nostalgia.

But there have to be some exceptions, right?

What are some of the remakes, reboots, and sequels that have come out in the last 20 years that you think are legitimately good?

[Reply]
Frazod 07:03 PM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
"Ever" is a pretty big statement. What about Carpenter's remake of The Thing From Outer Space? The '78 version of Invasion of the Bodysnatchers? Scarface (1983)? The Magnificent Seven?
Well, we are talking modern here, but still, the new True Grit is a better movie than any of those.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:06 PM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
"Ever" is a pretty big statement. What about Carpenter's remake of The Thing From Outer Space? The '78 version of Invasion of the Bodysnatchers? Scarface (1983)? The Magnificent Seven?
This just proves that Remakes/reboots have been going on for a very long time. It’s not new.

Carpenters The Thing is quite excellent
[Reply]
Mennonite 07:46 PM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:

Carpenters The Thing is quite excellent

Absolutely fantastic cast, a cool monster, and suspense that doesn't let up even when the screen fades to black.

If you haven't listened to the audio commentary with Carpenter and Russell I highly recommend it. The short story "The Things" by Peter Watts is also worth tracking down. It's from the creature's POV. I'd love to hear an audio version read by Keith David.
[Reply]
eDave 07:46 PM 06-08-2021
I thought Jack Black's King Kong reboot was great. It's my favorite of the franchise.
[Reply]
Mennonite 07:53 PM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
I thought Jack Black's King Kong reboot was great. It's my favorite of the franchise.

I'll always like the original best even though it takes forever to get going and the acting in stiff. I just love the Willis O'Brien stop motion stuff.

I also have a soft spot for the ultra cheesy Japanese movie King Kong Escapes. It's just fun.

"Hi-keeba!"

[Reply]
GloucesterChief 07:53 PM 06-08-2021
Dredd
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:29 PM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
Peter Jackson is one of the best directors in the world, bar none.

I am anxiously awaiting his film on The Beatles, which features footage never before seen.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 09:19 PM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by unlurking:
Oh, and True Grit. Thought that was also really well done, although I haven't seen the original since I was a kid and don't really remember enough about it to compare to the remake.
That's a good call. Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon are both upgrades.
Glen Campbell was actually pretty bad in the original.
[Reply]
Frazod 09:26 PM 06-08-2021
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
Dredd
Oh fuck yes. While I found the Stallone version amusing, the Urban Dredd was amazing.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:07 PM 06-08-2021
While the Cohen’s version of True Grit was faithful to the novel and the performances were excellent, I still enjoy the original version, as hokey as it is at times, because of John Wayne.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:08 PM 06-08-2021
I may be in the minority but I prefer Never Say Never Again to Thunderball.

Barbara Carrera and Kim Basinger were hot hit AF.

Klaus Maria Brandauer and Max Von Sydow were great, too.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up