ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 675 of 726
« First < 175575625665671672673674675 676677678679685725 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>New Conference re-alignment thread
Saulbadguy 07:57 AM 09-12-2011
The old one has AIDS.

Anyways, Chip Brown from Orangebloods.com reports OU may apply to the Pac-12 by the end of the month.

Oklahoma will apply for membership to the Pac-12 before the end of the month, and Oklahoma State is expected to follow suit, a source close to OU's administration told Orangebloods.com.

Even though Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said Friday the Pac-12 was not interested in expansion at this time, OU's board of regents is fed up with the instability in the Big 12, the source said.

The OU board of regents will meet within two weeks to formalize plans to apply for membership to the Pac-12, the source said.

Messages left Sunday night with OU athletic director Joe Castiglione and Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder were not immediately returned.

If OU follows through with what appears to be a unanimous sentiment on the seven-member Oklahoma board of regents to leave the Big 12, realignment in college athletics could be heating back up. OU's application would be matched by an application from Oklahoma State, the source said, even though OSU president Burns Hargis and mega-booster Boone Pickens both voiced their support for the Big 12 last Thursday.

There is differing sentiment about if the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors are ready to expand again after bringing in Colorado and Utah last year and landing $3 billion TV contracts from Fox and ESPN. Colorado president Bruce Benson told reporters last week CU would be opposed to any expansion that might bring about east and west divisions in the Pac-12.

Currently, there are north and south divisions in the Pac-12. If OU and OSU were to join, Larry Scott would have to get creative.

Scott's orginal plan last summer was to bring in Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and put them in an eastern division with Arizona and Arizona State. The old Pac-8 schools (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) were to be in the west division.

Colorado made the move in June 2010, but when Texas A&M was not on board to go west, the Big 12 came back together with the help of its television partners (ABC/ESPN and Fox).

If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were accepted into the Pac-12, there would undoubtedly be a hope by Larry Scott that Texas would join the league. But Texas sources have indicated UT is determined to hang onto the Longhorn Network, which would not be permissible in the Pac-12 in its current form.

Texas sources continue to indicate to Orangebloods.com that if the Big 12 falls apart, the Longhorns would consider "all options."

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe held an emergency conference call 10 days ago with league presidents excluding Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M and asked the other league presidents to "work on Texas" because Beebe didn't think the Pac-12 would take Oklahoma without Texas.

Now, it appears OU is willing to take its chances with the Pac-12 with or without Texas.

There seemed to be a temporary pause in any possible shifting of the college athletics' landscape when Baylor led a charge to tie up Texas A&M's move to the Southeastern Conference in legal red tape. BU refused to waive its right to sue the SEC over A&M's departure from the Big 12, and the SEC said it would not admit Texas A&M until it had been cleared of any potential lawsuits.

Baylor, Kansas and Iowa State have indicated they will not waive their right to sue the SEC.

It's unclear if an application by OU to the Pac-12 would draw the same threats of litigation against the Pac-12 from those Big 12 schools.

Stay tuned.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 11:34 AM 07-27-2022
Interesting.

Brett McMurphy
@Brett_McMurphy
Big Ten commish Kevin Warren told @ActionNetworkHQ there are "handful of schools" besides Notre Dame that would add value to Big Ten.

Sources said other schools being considered by Big Ten:
Oregon,
Washington,
Stanford,
Cal,
Miami
Florida State

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 12:19 PM 07-27-2022
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
Canzano today:

GRANDSTANDING: Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren did a fair bit of grandstanding as part of the conference media day on Tuesday. He didn’t do a cartwheel on stage, but he came very close.

Warren spent a good portion of his time touting the Big Ten’s poaching of USC and UCLA. Pac-12 stakeholders weren’t happy about all the horn tooting. Said one conference employee: “The only people happy with the USC/UCLA move are those in the B1G, USC/UCLA and FOX.”

Warren also appeared to take a shot at the Pac-12 when he was asked about expansion and the health of college football.

Said Warren: “If a conference is allegedly on the brink, there are many more issues than members leaving. There are deeper issues. I’m not promoting conferences facing a crisis or going out of business, not at all. But I come out of the NFL for 21 years. In the NFL, either you succeed or you fail, and that's not only on the field. I’m talking about in business, operationally. Either you have your fan base or you don’t.”

The Pac-12’s biggest problem is its media rights deal. The conference has advantageous geography in the Pacific Time Zone. It has good history, strong brands, and it wants very much to matter. But let’s face it — losing USC and UCLA was a gut punch from Warren’s conference. That blow equated to the loss of 5.2 million television households.

How do you replace that if you’re the Pac-12?

I’ve long wondered about San Diego State as a Pac-12 expansion candidate. It would add back 1.1 million TV homes in the Southern California footprint. I also wonder about UNLV as a possible addition.

The Las Vegas television market is only in the top-40 right now, but the region is growing rapidly. There’s a pile of untapped sponsorship money buried in Vegas and commissioner George Kliavkoff lives there and is deeply connected. I’ll bet he rarely pays for a meal.

UNLV might not command a full share of media rights distributions out of the gate. It also plays home football games in the NFL stadium in Las Vegas. It would be a speculative play, for sure, but doubling down on Vegas makes sense.

What a dope.

I like San Diego State and UNLV. But households are only useful if people are watching those teams. SDSU has a decent following at best and UNLV football has been a non-entity for decades.

They are not replacing the anchor brands of USC and UCLA. Those are iconic programs.

The PAC 12 needs successful programs. SDSU has been good on the field. UNLV hasn't.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 12:31 PM 07-27-2022
Originally Posted by Carr4MVP:
What a dope.

I like San Diego State and UNLV. But households are only useful if people are watching those teams. SDSU has a decent following at best and UNLV football has been a non-entity for decades.

They are not replacing the anchor brands of USC and UCLA. Those are iconic programs.

The PAC 12 needs successful programs. SDSU has been good on the field. UNLV hasn't.
Its about getting the channels on basic cable packages over who is actually good. See Rutgers and Maryland in the Big 10 instead of say WVU and VT. Not many in the DC area cares much about Maryland. They do care about WVU, Pitt, and VT though.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 12:51 PM 07-27-2022
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
Its about getting the channels on basic cable packages over who is actually good. See Rutgers and Maryland in the Big 10 instead of say WVU and VT. Not many in the DC area cares much about Maryland. They do care about WVU, Pitt, and VT though.
The era of the TV markets driving realignment is dying.

It is now about brand names and streaming numbers.

Besides, the issue for the PAC 12 has been time zones. They need Central Time slots.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 12:33 PM 07-28-2022
John Canzano:

Canzano: Pac-12 in a dance with ESPN and knows who else might bid

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Archie Bunker 07-29-2022, 09:38 AM
This message has been deleted by Archie Bunker.
MarkDavis'Haircut 09:40 AM 07-29-2022
The conferences and ADs don't get it. ESPN/Disney and FOX decide these things.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 01:34 PM 07-29-2022
Canzano: Setting the stage for Pac-12 Media Day

Getting you caught up...
Spoiler!

[Reply]
RustShack 08:16 PM 07-29-2022
George really attacked the Big12, like he’s threatened and backed into a corner. Wouldn’t touch the B1G topic, who literally just swiped USC and UCLA away from his conference though. Only 5 AD’s showed up after all 12 were there last year too?

Rough. I guess days after Warren publicly stated the B1G would be in every time zone in the next few years, and be able to have games for every time slot took away any sliver of hope the PAC had left. Oregon President wouldn’t commit to signing a GoR and said any new media deal would have to be short.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 10:53 PM 07-29-2022
That PAC conference was a hot mess. Like shambles mess.

Woof
[Reply]
KChiefs1 11:27 PM 07-29-2022
Canzano: Pac-12 Media Day turns into a car wash

My column on media day.
Spoiler!

[Reply]
KChiefs1 10:40 PM 07-31-2022
Canzano: UCLA gone? Yup, but Pac-12 leaves door ajar anyway

Conference making contingency plans.
Spoiler!

[Reply]
KChiefs1 11:00 AM 08-01-2022
Canzano: College football waits for the trickle down of TV money

FCS funds programs with payday games
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Eleazar 11:15 AM 08-01-2022
Originally Posted by Carr4MVP:
What a dope.

A (heretofore) major conference taking city schools or schools from mid-major conferences like the Mountain West to bolster their numbers does not better their brand, IMO, it degrades the brand further.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 12:02 PM 08-03-2022
Canzano: There is a singular threat to Pac-12 now -- the Big Ten

Pac-12 AD calls Big 12 threat "laughable."
Spoiler!

[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 12:32 PM 08-03-2022
Me thinks Canzano doth protest too much.
[Reply]
Page 675 of 726
« First < 175575625665671672673674675 676677678679685725 > Last »
Up