ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 50 of 120
« First < 404647484950 5152535460100 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2023 STL Cardinals Thread ***
BigRedChief 08:39 AM 03-29-2023
2023 thread. Walker makes the roster. I'll update the rosters and opening day lineup when its official

2023 Opening Day Lineup
Spoiler!

2022 Opening Day roster.
Spoiler!

For the new Cardinal fans that joined the Planet since last year, here are some of the historical threads going back to 2006.
Spoiler!

[Reply]
bdj23 01:54 PM 06-14-2023
Nice to see they're letting Matz blow games in the 9th inning now instead of the 1st
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:42 PM 06-14-2023
BAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:46 PM 06-14-2023
Originally Posted by Rams Fan:
In 2018, they called up a shit ton of rookie/young SP- if you recall, Ponce De Leon and Hudson had consecutive starts of 7+ innings where they held the opposition to no hits in June/July as a last-ditch effort and Matheny fell on the sword for rotation/BP shortcomings regarding performance.

100% should have been fired, but the justification for why he was fired wasn't the right one.
Shildt took a team that got 84 starts from guys who never threw another major league pitch to the playoffs and put together a franchise record winning streak.

Good managers get their guys to play, especially when they have a solid core.

Matheny couldn't have done that in a million years. Saying "Well hey, he had a tough gig so he shouldn't have been fired" doesn't wash - lots of managers have tough gigs and their team doesn't quit on them like Matheny's did. And now Marmol's has.

Shildt ALWAYS had his guys fired up to play ball. He was hired by Jocketty and nurtured by LaRussa. He was a guy who knew how to run a ballclub. Matheny was just too fucking stupid to absorb any information during his apprenticeship in STL and Marmol cut his teeth in an organization that had already lost its way - Shildt simply kept it afloat through sheer competence.

Ask Kevin Cash if he feels bad for any of the hurdles faced by Matheny - who inherited a WS champion and drove it into a mountain, or Marmol - who simply never deserved this kind of shot but was still given the keys to a crown jewel franchise.

I suspect he does not.
[Reply]
Marcellus 02:57 PM 06-14-2023
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
Just blew another one in the bottom of the ninth, with 2 outs and 2 strikes.
I've never in my life watched a team blow so many games by giving up 2 strike home runs and doubles over and over and over. Its hard to fathom it being this consistent if they were TRYING to do it.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:08 PM 06-14-2023
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
I've never in my life watched a team blow so many games by giving up 2 strike home runs and doubles over and over and over. Its hard to fathom it being this consistent if they were TRYING to do it.
You could convince me that Gio was doing precisely that.

94 mph middle/middle with 2 strikes is...not advised.

And it was WALLOPED. I mean no doubt whatsoever. I had it recorded so i went and watched it when I heard and Chip was just apoplectic.

You know he's sitting there asking himself why he left Atlanta for this...
[Reply]
Marcellus 03:13 PM 06-14-2023
You think maybe the STL media is starting to do their job with stuff like this-

Originally Posted by :
Sometimes the best thing a searching baseball team can find is a scuffle.

The Cardinals got their chance against the Giants.

They did not fight. They fizzled.

A Cardinals season that has reached new lows at a rapid rate touched a previously untapped depth Tuesday night at Busch Stadium.

Before an announced crowd of 40,917 the Cardinals got punked by the Giants in an 11-3 loss that became their 41st defeat in 68 games and their 20th in 33 games played here at home.

Jack Flaherty, the starting pitcher chairman Bill Dewitt Jr. said was the reason he did not think the team needed a big starter addition this past offseason, started a benches-clearing, bullpen-emptying standoff with the Giants after the top half of the fourth inning, because San Francisco leadoff man LaMonte Wade Jr. had been dancing around on second base, pretending he wanted to steal after hitting a double.

But nothing happened. Just bluster started by Flaherty calling Wade a series of curse words, according to Wade and verified by video. All talk, no punch. Not even a good push. And that’s the 2023 Cardinals in a nutshell, isn't it?

Flaherty wasn’t even around to face Wade when Wade returned to the plate in the fifth inning. Flaherty had been lifted after allowing six earned runs on 10 hits in 4.1 innings.

Here’s how the Giants reacted to Flaherty’s challenge of Wade: Blake Sabol singled. Michael Conforto singled. Casey Schmitt singled. Patrick Bailey singled. The Giants were up three runs by the time Flaherty was lifted for reliever Genesis Cabrera.

Here's how the Cardinals reacted to Flaherty's challenge of Wade: A combination of cricket sounds, and some snores.

Cabrera had sprinted from the bullpen into the trash-talking action Flaherty’s shouting match with Wade. He and former Cardinals reliever John Brebbia wound up laughing and half-hugging in the infield. Cabrera offered about the same amount of threat to the Giants when it was his turn on the mound. After bunting in a run against him in the fifth, the Giants crushed back-to-back, two-out home runs against him in the sixth. I wonder if Brebbia even recognized the old team he used to call his own.

Then you get to this complete bullshit excuse a few paragraphs later. Seriously?

Originally Posted by :
Even Cardinals manager Oliver Marmol has stopped publicly challenging his players. His signature bluntness is now dulled down. I’m sure he will be shredded for his positive postgame comments Tuesday. Hard to blame him for taking that route. He got crushed for challenging Tyler O’Neill to run harder at the season’s start. He took arrows for taking on something players on the team should have handled in the clubhouse but did not, leaving it to him to address. O’Neill is back to being hurt, always seemingly a week or so away from being ready to start getting ready, and Marmol is giving people the happy talk they wanted. Now he will get criticized for that, too.

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:19 PM 06-14-2023
Surely they aren't missing the point that badly.

You do not single guys out. You just don't do it.

You can absolutely rip 'us' or even 'the team' if you feel so inclined. But you don't name a single guy - AFTER you had a conversation with him in which he left the conversation feeling it was resolved - and call him out. You don't then turn around 3 weeks later and rip ANOTHER guy and then get upper management to back your play.

There's a hell of a large distinction between being honest about the team vs. being vindictive with a particular player.

I refuse to believe anyone is that dumb.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 03:23 PM 06-14-2023
Mo just needs to trade Masyn Winn for Scott Barlow and the bullpen problems are solved. :-)
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:28 PM 06-14-2023
Mo just needs to trade Masyn Winn for Scott Barlow and the bullpen problems are solved. :-)
Honestly - and this is how shitty Mozeliak is at his job - if you offered Barlow for Burleson, he'd probably take it.

And don't get me wrong, Burleson is no sort of star in the making. And he shouldn't even own a glove. But he can hit. I'm 100% convinced that if you gave him 400 ABs he'd be a genuine offensive presence. He's a guy that can hit 5/6 in the order for a good lineup, IMO.

And Mozeliak, in desperation, will move guys like him right now to try to save his ass.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:22 PM 06-14-2023
Just blew another one in the bottom of the ninth, with 2 outs and 2 strikes.
The crowd booed them after the last out. This is a great example of how our season is going. Pic taken after yesterdays game.
Attached: IMG_7457.jpeg (133.2 KB) 
[Reply]
raybec 4 05:47 PM 06-14-2023
5 in a row fellas!! We're on a heater!
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:08 PM 06-14-2023
The 70’s Cardinal teams pissed me off. They lacked leadership, player talent and an involved owner. Starting to look too damn similar.

We have some talent on this years team. Not enough but a helluva lot more than those 70’s teams.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:17 PM 06-14-2023
I’ve not read much online. Those that are local or track this disaster are the national writers tearing up the Cardinals?

As mediocre as the Mets and Padres have been this season, no team comes close to the St. Louis Cardinals in terms of downright disappointment. They are a disaster. Five straight losses. A 27-42 record -- the worst in the National League, better than only Oakland and Kansas City.

— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) June 14, 2023

[Reply]
Megatron96 01:27 PM 06-15-2023
This looks exactly how the STL Blues began the 2019 season, before they turned into the around and won the Stanley Cup.
[Reply]
jd1020 01:52 PM 06-15-2023
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
This looks exactly how the STL Blues began the 2019 season, before they turned into the around and won the Stanley Cup.
Isnt the NHL season about as many games as the Cardinals have played so far?

Cardinals have been bad all year and guys that were putting up MVP numbers like Gorman are starting to remember they dont actually hit for average and strike out 30%+ of the time.
[Reply]
Page 50 of 120
« First < 404647484950 5152535460100 > Last »
Up