ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Let’s talk cookware
mr. tegu 12:49 PM 10-08-2020
What is your go to type of cookware? Stovetop and in oven? In the past we’ve had nonstick calphalon type pans but I’ve definitely seen how the nonstick coating wears off. The pans also seem to warp. I’m not sure if it’s that type or brand that’s prone to these issues or if it’s all of them but either way we need to upgrade.

It seems steel or cast iron are the most expensive varieties. Then there are copper ones as well. We do have a small steel set that is really nice. One of these days we’d also like a le creuset pot but those are very pricey and just not sure it’s worth it. So what do you have? What do you like or not like about them? Certain kinds for certain uses?
[Reply]
Great8 06:55 AM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
My enameled LeCreuset stuff that cost a small fortune does one thing better than my $50 giant cuisinart in the same color does - doesn't get the little gray surface scratches on the inside.

That's it. For every other application I've seen no benefit. Use silicone tools and you won't scratch the cuisinart either. And again, even if you do, the 'scratches' are purely cosmetic.

Can't agree with you here - Unless you're getting them for 2/3 off, I see little utility in the le creuset.
I'm not familiar with Cuisinarts enameled cookware, so can't speak to that. If it works that well, then I need to check it out for sure because you are correct in that Le Creuset is expensive as hell.
I just know that I had a couple of off brand cast iron pieces that just did not hold up.
I am fortunate that we have a Le Creuset outlet store not too far from us that has good sales often, especially if you aren't too concerned about the color you get.
I'll definitely look into Cuisinart. Appreciate the tip.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 07:06 AM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by Great8:
Definitely good for soups/stews etc. I use it to make my homemade spaghetti sauce as well because you can brown the sausage and beef right in the dutch oven, and then add everything else to simmer all day.
It's good for roasts because it's so easy to de glaze after browning the meat so you an keep all the flavor in.
It will withstand up to 500 degrees in the oven too, so you can start on the cooktop and then transfer to the oven to braise/slow cook.

I hadn’t thought about putting it into the oven but that does seem like a good distinguishing feature.
[Reply]
F150 08:27 AM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by philfree:
Bought a new house and we couldn't get the stove to work. Then we figured it out. It's an induction stove so it wouldn't work with aluminum cookware. WTF? We had to buy stainless pots and pans. Why did they invent such a things as an induction cook top?

We redid our kitchen 2 years ago and went to induction we absolutely love it! But its very specific on what pans it likes
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:42 AM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by philfree:
Bought a new house and we couldn't get the stove to work. Then we figured it out. It's an induction stove so it wouldn't work with aluminum cookware. WTF? We had to buy stainless pots and pans. Why did they invent such a things as an induction cook top?
I love my induction top.

The heat control is just pristine and if you really want to throw the coals to something, it will get about 95% as hot as most gas tops (probably not those high-end commercial Viking jobs).

And unlike the standard electrical glass tops, the heat is even. It's not that all or nothing crap that those electrics do. They're also damn easy to clean because the surface doesn't get as hot around the pan.

Also, you get less heat loss into your kitchen which is nice when you're trying to cook a lot of stuff and don't want your kitchen temp rising by 10 degrees.

But for me the biggest selling point really is the heat control. You can really dial in what you're after and move things up and down in really small increments as needed.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:47 AM 10-09-2020
I'm not familiar with Cuisinarts enameled cookware, so can't speak to that. If it works that well, then I need to check it out for sure because you are correct in that Le Creuset is expensive as hell.
I just know that I had a couple of off brand cast iron pieces that just did not hold up.
I am fortunate that we have a Le Creuset outlet store not too far from us that has good sales often, especially if you aren't too concerned about the color you get.
I'll definitely look into Cuisinart. Appreciate the tip.
I have a couple 7 qt (I think) enameled cast iron dutch ovens, one from Cuisinart and one from Lodge - they both do a good job.

Found 'em both on various sales so I ended up putting maybe $150 into both of them combined.

I just have a hard time dropping $400 on a cast iron pot. Though maybe if I were nearer the outlet store and could find them for 1/2 off I'd be more likely to go that route.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:49 AM 10-09-2020
The enameled cast iron dutch ovens are great. We have two.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:52 AM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
The enameled cast iron dutch ovens are great. We have two.
It's pretty rare that I need them (whereas I work my 3.5 qt le crueset to death; but it's showing it's use so again - not sure of the value there) but when I do I'm damn glad to have 'em.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 09:02 AM 10-09-2020
I try to avoid nonstick whenever possible. Cast iron all the way. I don't like the way nonstick soaks up all the great bits, fats, and juices that can be turned into a simple sauce.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 09:04 AM 10-09-2020
I've always liked the idea of cast iron, but in my limited experience, cleanup was a pain. I was probably doing something wrong.
[Reply]
oldman 09:04 AM 10-09-2020
I bought one of these a year or 2 back and it's my go-to for just about anything I cook on the stove. Best $30 I've spent in a long time.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:10 AM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
I've always liked the idea of cast iron, but in my limited experience, cleanup was a pain. I was probably doing something wrong.
I can tell you what you're doing wrong.

Cleaning them. LOL

In all seriousness, cleanup is a dry paper towel. Wipe out what you can and leave the rest. It's that seasoning that make cast iron so great.
[Reply]
Great8 09:11 AM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I have a couple 7 qt (I think) enameled cast iron dutch ovens, one from Cuisinart and one from Lodge - they both do a good job.

Found 'em both on various sales so I ended up putting maybe $150 into both of them combined.

I just have a hard time dropping $400 on a cast iron pot. Though maybe if I were nearer the outlet store and could find them for 1/2 off I'd be more likely to go that route.
I have heard good things about Lodge, and they seem to hit a sweet spot in pricing that's certainly less than Le Creuset, but above some of the no name brands I've tried in the past.
I'm not sure if having the Le Creuset outlet store so close to me is a good thing really. I'm dangerous in there. The last few visits have resulted in a large enameled roasting pan, a skillet, and a second larger braiser (that I really didn't need at all).:-)
[Reply]
Fish 09:14 AM 10-09-2020
For the cast iron users, I've found this to be a very handy tool for cleaning. No soap. Ever. Toss some salt into the skillet if necessary and clean with that. Then just replace the sponge over time.

[Reply]
htismaqe 09:17 AM 10-09-2020
I have heard good things about Lodge, and they seem to hit a sweet spot in pricing that's certainly less than Le Creuset, but above some of the no name brands I've tried in the past.
I'm not sure if having the Le Creuset outlet store so close to me is a good thing really. I'm dangerous in there. The last few visits have resulted in a large enameled roasting pan, a skillet, and a second larger braiser (that I really didn't need at all).:-)
We have Lodge and we like them a lot.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:18 AM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
For the cast iron users, I've found this to be a very handy tool for cleaning. No soap. Ever. Toss some salt into the skillet if necessary and clean with that. Then just replace the sponge over time.

Exactly this. Soap = bad. The last thing you want to do is put Dawn on there and get rid of all the grease.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Up