ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Let’s talk cookware
mr. tegu 12:49 PM 10-08-2020
What is your go to type of cookware? Stovetop and in oven? In the past we’ve had nonstick calphalon type pans but I’ve definitely seen how the nonstick coating wears off. The pans also seem to warp. I’m not sure if it’s that type or brand that’s prone to these issues or if it’s all of them but either way we need to upgrade.

It seems steel or cast iron are the most expensive varieties. Then there are copper ones as well. We do have a small steel set that is really nice. One of these days we’d also like a le creuset pot but those are very pricey and just not sure it’s worth it. So what do you have? What do you like or not like about them? Certain kinds for certain uses?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:38 PM 10-08-2020
Originally Posted by Great8:
Le Creuset is definitely worth it. They were having a pretty good sale last week too. Not sure if it's still going on, but worth checking out.
My Dutch Oven from them is the best piece of cookware I've ever used. Also have a braiser and a skillet from them, which are also great, but if I had to pick just one, it would be the Dutch Oven hands down.
My enameled LeCreuset stuff that cost a small fortune does one thing better than my $50 giant cuisinart in the same color does - doesn't get the little gray surface scratches on the inside.

That's it. For every other application I've seen no benefit. Use silicone tools and you won't scratch the cuisinart either. And again, even if you do, the 'scratches' are purely cosmetic.

Can't agree with you here - Unless you're getting them for 2/3 off, I see little utility in the le creuset.
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 03:40 PM 10-08-2020
Mostly use stainless steel myself. All Clad or Made In is the way to go.
[Reply]
2bikemike 04:05 PM 10-08-2020
When my wife and I got married we were both starting from a previous failed marriage. She brought her pots and pans into the marriage. They were old non stick pots and pans at least 15 years old. The coatings were messed up.

Her not being afraid to ask and be told no, called the manufacturer and complained that the coating were peeling. She claimed to have never used a metal utensils in the pots and pans. I'll be damned if they didn't send her another complete set!
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:50 PM 10-08-2020
Originally Posted by scho63:
1. (6) various sizes and functions of high quality non-stick pans will last forever if you use wooden or plastic utensils on the surface. Sauce pan, large boil, small boil, small fry, large fry, high side saute/slow cook

2. (1) You want a very good restaurant quality stainless steel frying pan that can go from the top of the stove into the oven up to 550* . Remember to have a heat resistant neoprene or other oven mitt when you grab the handle out of the oven

3. (1) great cast iron skillet

4. (1) Enamel coated French Dutch Oven cookware

5. (1) Authentic wok for stir-frying

6. (1) Flat surface non-stick for grilling things like grilled cheese and paninis and pancakes

7. (1) Grooved Grill top plate for indoor grilling over gas; burgers, dogs, veggies and steaks

That's all you need. (12) items will handle all your chores
Basically this.

I don't know if you need 6 non-stick pans, but I do have 3-4 I think, mostly for low temp cooking, like scrambled eggs, thin meat cuts, sauces, etc. Otherwise, the above is a good example of owning pots and pans to cover every purpose.

One other thing I'm kind of sticky about is Chinese cast iron/carbon steel. Chinese iron has too much sulphur in it (fact), and I think it makes food taste funny (opinion), so I only buy American cast iron or carbon steel pans. YMMV.
[Reply]
EPodolak 06:10 PM 10-08-2020
Since I started using a gas stove I clumsily ruined a few ceramic pots and pans prematurely. A heat diffuser between the flame and the pan is an easy fix.
[Reply]
tx4chiefs 06:40 PM 10-08-2020
My wife has Saladmaster Stainless steel. They are lifetime warrantied and you can pass them down under warranty. The stainless steel doesn't add to flavor or hurt your health. Cast iron is old grease on top of old grease. Aluminum can lead to alzheimer's. Non-stick can peel off and stay in your body.
[Reply]
Megatron96 08:05 PM 10-08-2020
Originally Posted by tx4chiefs:
My wife has Saladmaster Stainless steel. They are lifetime warrantied and you can pass them down under warranty. The stainless steel doesn't add to flavor or hurt your health. Cast iron is old grease on top of old grease. Aluminum can lead to alzheimer's. Non-stick can peel off and stay in your body.
What?
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 08:15 PM 10-08-2020
I went exclusively cast iron the last year or so but I came across a video the other day stating you should not use cast more than a few times a month or you will accumulate too much iron in your diet which can be harmful.

Who the hell knows?????
[Reply]
srvy 08:41 PM 10-08-2020
Originally Posted by RubberSponge:
Mostly use stainless steel myself. All Clad or Made In is the way to go.
All Clad is great I have got a pretty good collection though the All Clad seconds website. Slickdeals usually will post when the have 15 % coupon but you have to know what you are looking for.

For nonstick, I just go to Sams Club and pick up a Members Mark 12 in fry pan its 19 bucks and is as good as any. I use for breakfast and stuff works well. They have 6" thru 14" fry pans in 2" increments in the commercial restaurant section. They actually rate highly.
[Reply]
srvy 08:51 PM 10-08-2020
Originally Posted by tx4chiefs:
1) Thats called flavor,

2) Has never been proven. I don't like it because it eventually humps in the middle and food runs for the edges.

3) If you cook at low temps and use plastic or wood utensils it's fine. My problem is my wife grew up on a farm in Phillippines where they cooked on Sterno or wood fire. She thinks everything needs to be in the highest setting to cook.
[Reply]
srvy 08:55 PM 10-08-2020
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
I went exclusively cast iron the last year or so but I came across a video the other day stating you should not use cast more than a few times a month or you will accumulate too much iron in your diet which can be harmful.

Who the hell knows?????
Yeah, I have read that as well. I kinda think its bs especially since Adults as they get older are iron deficient.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:27 PM 10-08-2020
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:

Who the hell knows?????
The average person in America actually doesn't have enough iron actually.
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 10:31 PM 10-08-2020
ALL- CLAD and Non-stick CHAPHALON :-)
[Reply]
philfree 11:23 PM 10-08-2020
Bought a new house and we couldn't get the stove to work. Then we figured it out. It's an induction stove so it wouldn't work with aluminum cookware. WTF? We had to buy stainless pots and pans. Why did they invent such a things as an induction cook top?
[Reply]
Great8 06:52 AM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
What do you use it for? When watching cooking shows it’s most commonly used for soups and stews it seems. I’m sure it would be great for pot roast or chili but I’m not sure what if anything makes it better than like a crockpot or simple 8 quart pot.
Definitely good for soups/stews etc. I use it to make my homemade spaghetti sauce as well because you can brown the sausage and beef right in the dutch oven, and then add everything else to simmer all day.
It's good for roasts because it's so easy to de glaze after browning the meat so you an keep all the flavor in.
It will withstand up to 500 degrees in the oven too, so you can start on the cooktop and then transfer to the oven to braise/slow cook.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Up