ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 6
1 2345 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Let’s talk cookware
mr. tegu 12:49 PM 10-08-2020
What is your go to type of cookware? Stovetop and in oven? In the past we’ve had nonstick calphalon type pans but I’ve definitely seen how the nonstick coating wears off. The pans also seem to warp. I’m not sure if it’s that type or brand that’s prone to these issues or if it’s all of them but either way we need to upgrade.

It seems steel or cast iron are the most expensive varieties. Then there are copper ones as well. We do have a small steel set that is really nice. One of these days we’d also like a le creuset pot but those are very pricey and just not sure it’s worth it. So what do you have? What do you like or not like about them? Certain kinds for certain uses?
[Reply]
Megatron96 01:39 PM 10-08-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
What is your go to type of cookware? Stovetop and in oven? In the past we’ve had nonstick calphalon type pans but I’ve definitely seen how the nonstick coating wears off. The pans also seem to warp. I’m not sure if it’s that type or brand that’s prone to these issues or if it’s all of them but either way we need to upgrade.

It seems steel or cast iron are the most expensive varieties. Then there are copper ones as well. We do have a small steel set that is really nice. One of these days we’d also like a le creuset pot but those are very pricey and just not sure it’s worth it. So what do you have? What do you like or not like about them? Certain kinds for certain uses?
Short answer: cast iron is the best all-around bullet-proof cookware for stovetop and oven use. Cast iron coated with ceramic is the easiest cast iron to use on an everyday basis because you can clean it with soap and water just like any modern aluminum pan.

Warping happens when you overheat a pan. Most modern pans aren't really designed to cook at temps higher than about 400-450 degrees (they're not thick enough), but if you leave a dry pan on the stove too long it will get a lot hotter than that, and at some point it will start warping. Know this from experience. Er, experiences. But basically the thinner the pan, the easier it is to warp it.

Really tough to overheat a cast iron pan, in large part because they're usually made so thick. And even if you do, if you just allow it to air cool, chances are it won't warp. There are a couple US-based companies that make 'lighter' cast iron cookware, such as Smithey or FieldCast, which are basically just thinner than standard cast iron.

Another option would be carbon steel, which mostly operates like cast iron, but is much thinner and therefore lighter than cast iron. And cooks and cleans about the same. Lodge makes some high quality carbon steel pans.

with either cast iron or carbon steel pans, the best feature is that they are wear-proof. You never have to replace them. You might have to reboot them every once in a while, but they'll never warp (unless you're titanically stupid), the seasoning can be redone at home with a little vegetable oil and a stove/oven, and no matter how hard you use them they'll last decades. They just require a little maintenance.
[Reply]
scho63 01:45 PM 10-08-2020
1. (6) various sizes and functions of high quality non-stick pans will last forever if you use wooden or plastic utensils on the surface. Sauce pan, large boil, small boil, small fry, large fry, high side saute/slow cook

2. (1) You want a very good restaurant quality stainless steel frying pan that can go from the top of the stove into the oven up to 550* . Remember to have a heat resistant neoprene or other oven mitt when you grab the handle out of the oven

3. (1) great cast iron skillet

4. (1) Enamel coated French Dutch Oven cookware

5. (1) Authentic wok for stir-frying

6. (1) Flat surface non-stick for grilling things like grilled cheese and paninis and pancakes

7. (1) Grooved Grill top plate for indoor grilling over gas; burgers, dogs, veggies and steaks

That's all you need. (12) items will handle all your chores
[Reply]
Megatron96 01:50 PM 10-08-2020
Uh, sorry that was not a very short answer. In my defense, I could go a lot longer on the subject, but I'm a little pressed for time right now.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:51 PM 10-08-2020
Definitely cast iron.
[Reply]
Great8 01:59 PM 10-08-2020
Le Creuset is definitely worth it. They were having a pretty good sale last week too. Not sure if it's still going on, but worth checking out.
My Dutch Oven from them is the best piece of cookware I've ever used. Also have a braiser and a skillet from them, which are also great, but if I had to pick just one, it would be the Dutch Oven hands down.
[Reply]
threebag 02:01 PM 10-08-2020
I find myself using cast iron almost exclusively.
[Reply]
ptlyon 02:05 PM 10-08-2020
Can't really help you on brands, but it looks like you're getting good advice here.

Only thing I can add is to check the handle buying chart before purchase to ensure they will fit in your wife's little hands.
[Reply]
KCUnited 02:20 PM 10-08-2020
If you have a gas cooktop, a cast iron wok ring with a carbon steel round bottom wok is pretty great.
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:32 PM 10-08-2020
Megatron is on it. If you keep the heat off a non-stick and don’t use anything metal it will last.

But you better have something you can throw some heat at.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 02:43 PM 10-08-2020
Originally Posted by Great8:
Le Creuset is definitely worth it. They were having a pretty good sale last week too. Not sure if it's still going on, but worth checking out.
My Dutch Oven from them is the best piece of cookware I've ever used. Also have a braiser and a skillet from them, which are also great, but if I had to pick just one, it would be the Dutch Oven hands down.

What do you use it for? When watching cooking shows it’s most commonly used for soups and stews it seems. I’m sure it would be great for pot roast or chili but I’m not sure what if anything makes it better than like a crockpot or simple 8 quart pot.
[Reply]
Great Expectations 03:03 PM 10-08-2020
I use All Clad D5. I also have a William Sonoma brand, it is basically the same thing. Usually every other month there will be a package special on All Clad.
[Reply]
Stewie 03:18 PM 10-08-2020
I agree with the consensus on cast iron.

I only have a couple of non-stick skillets. I just haven't had much luck with them.

For daily use I have a set of inherited Meyer pots/pans that are copper clad stainless steel. They're from the '40s or '50s. They have phenolic handles and have been indestructible. I'm not sure why, but they've never warped or caused any problem and they've seen their fair share of abuse. Needless to say, with the copper bottom they heat quick and evenly.
[Reply]
Scooter LaCanforno 03:21 PM 10-08-2020
I have a Paula Deen Signature Nonstick Cookware Pots and Pans Set and a Viking 13 pcs Cookware Set. The Paula Deen set is the best nonstick I've ever had. 11 years old and the eggs still slide off without oils.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:35 PM 10-08-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Short answer: cast iron is the best all-around bullet-proof cookware for stovetop and oven use. Cast iron coated with ceramic is the easiest cast iron to use on an everyday basis because you can clean it with soap and water just like any modern aluminum pan.

Warping happens when you overheat a pan. Most modern pans aren't really designed to cook at temps higher than about 400-450 degrees (they're not thick enough), but if you leave a dry pan on the stove too long it will get a lot hotter than that, and at some point it will start warping. Know this from experience. Er, experiences. But basically the thinner the pan, the easier it is to warp it.

Really tough to overheat a cast iron pan, in large part because they're usually made so thick. And even if you do, if you just allow it to air cool, chances are it won't warp. There are a couple US-based companies that make 'lighter' cast iron cookware, such as Smithey or FieldCast, which are basically just thinner than standard cast iron.

Another option would be carbon steel, which mostly operates like cast iron, but is much thinner and therefore lighter than cast iron. And cooks and cleans about the same. Lodge makes some high quality carbon steel pans.

with either cast iron or carbon steel pans, the best feature is that they are wear-proof. You never have to replace them. You might have to reboot them every once in a while, but they'll never warp (unless you're titanically stupid), the seasoning can be redone at home with a little vegetable oil and a stove/oven, and no matter how hard you use them they'll last decades. They just require a little maintenance.
Yeah, this is pretty much it.

All non-sticks will eventually warp if you use any real heat. Gas/induction stoves are capable of so much heat that they'll pretty much warp anything you put on them. I've tried $200 skillets trying to avoid that and it still doesn't work.

So I get the $17 All-Clad things and when they warp they get pitched. They're light so they're good to toss shit you're trying to stir around in the pan.

Otherwise, just season a cast-iron. If you happen to have a flap-wheel for a grinder and are willing to ruin some $40 lodge, try to grind 'em smooth. The really good old school cast irons used to do that but now they make 'em cheap and fast so they don't bother.

You put a flap wheel on one of those and then wet sand them with fine sandpaper and you can make them smooth as glass. Then when you season then nicely and maintain them, they're better surfaces than any non-stick will ever be and they won't warp.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 6
1 2345 > Last »
Up