ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Patteeu Memorial Political Forum>20 years, $6 trillion, 900,000 lives
RodeoPants2 10:49 AM 09-11-2021
https://www.vox.com/22654167/cost-de...istan-iraq-911

Originally Posted by :
On the evening of September 11, 2001, hours after two hijacked airliners had destroyed the World Trade Center towers and a third had hit the Pentagon building, President George W. Bush announced that the country was embarking on a new kind of war.

“America and our friends and allies join with all those who want peace and security in the world, and we stand together to win the war against terrorism,” Bush announced in a televised address to the nation.

It was Bush’s first use of the term that would come to define his presidency and deeply shape those of his three successors. The global war on terror, as the effort came to be known, was one of the most expansive and far-reaching policy initiatives in modern American history, and certainly the biggest of the 2000s.

It saw the US invade and depose the governments of two nations and engage in years- or decades-long occupations of each; the initiation of a new form of warfare via drones spanning thousands of miles of territory from Pakistan to Somalia to the Philippines; the formalization of a system of detention without charge and pervasive torture of accused militants; numerous smaller raids by special forces teams around the world; and major changes to air travel and border security in the US proper.

The “war on terror” is a purposely vague term. President Barack Obama famously rejected it in a 2013 speech — favoring instead “a series of persistent, targeted efforts to dismantle specific networks of violent extremists.”

But 9/11 signaled the beginning of a distinct policy regime from the one that preceded it, and a regime that exists in many forms to the present day, even with the US exit from Afghanistan.

Over the past 20 years, the costs of this new policy regime — costs in terms of lives lost, money spent, people and whole communities displaced, bodies tortured — have become clear. It behooves us, then, to try to answer a simple yet vast question: Was it worth it?

[Reply]
RodeoPants2 09:35 PM 09-13-2021
Originally Posted by Over Yonder:
I have never met any living human that didn't worship at the alter of something. I guess I can't say everybody has a religion because I haven't met everybody obviously. But every person I have ever met has a religion whether they will admit it or not.
Everyone has that friend who's super into cars. Constantly talks about their car, knows every make and model, etc.

Are you suggesting for those people that cars are their religion, and for that reason everyone has a religion?
[Reply]
RodeoPants2 09:38 PM 09-13-2021
After 9-11, I was ready for us to make the Middle East glow in the dark. There are 2 kinds of Muslims, moderate and radical. A radical Muslim wants to cut your head off, a moderate Muslim wants a radical Muslim to cut your head off. I have no use for either variety.

Again, there are 2 kinds of Muslims, moderate and radical. A radical Muslim wants to cut your head off, a moderate Muslim wants a radical Muslim to cut your head off.

I don't know what you mean by Americans who lost family members in the attacks.

Of the United States? HELL NO!!! But it's too late for that, we have already had one. Those terrorist we have in Congress are bad enough.

Let me speak clearly. I have zero use for a Muslim. You seen those Memes that say never forget 9-11? I will never forget 9-11. :-)
Who are you referring to, when you said there's been a Muslim in the whitehouse? I'm not aware there's bee one.

Regarding your other ignorant and backwards takes, this is America. Are you familiar with the constitution? Specifically, article 6, and amendment 1?

Does your "kill all the muslims" take extend to Americans?

And for the record, I think Islam is just as stupid as Christianity, Mormonism, Greek Mythology, all the other children's fairy tales.
[Reply]
cosmo20002 10:26 PM 09-13-2021
Originally Posted by RodeoPants2:
Everyone has that friend who's super into cars. Constantly talks about their car, knows every make and model, etc.

Are you suggesting for those people that cars are their religion, and for that reason everyone has a religion?
Of course! People who love cars believe a car is an all-powerful deity who will grant them an afterlife in heaven in exchange for following its rules.
Over Yonder is one of the dimmer bulbs around here.
[Reply]
Snopes Hammer 10:58 PM 09-13-2021
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
Of course! People who love cars believe a car is an all-powerful deity who will grant them an afterlife in heaven in exchange for following its rules.

Originally Posted by :

[Reply]
Over Yonder 03:20 AM 09-14-2021
Geez, that's stupid.
I agree. But throughout time, mankind has had countless billions do just that. Most people don't admit it, but I have actually had one guy admit to me he worships money. Seems crazy to me, but it's their life I guess. :-)
[Reply]
Over Yonder 03:23 AM 09-14-2021

If that person puts cars ahead of everything else, then yes. But most folks into material stuff like cars are actually either money or self worshippers. At least in my experiences.
[Reply]
Over Yonder 03:25 AM 09-14-2021
Coming from you Cosmo, I take that as a compliment. I really do. Thank you kind sir!! (you are a guy, right?)
[Reply]
RodeoPants2 01:09 PM 09-14-2021
If that person puts cars ahead of everything else, then yes. But most folks into material stuff like cars are actually either money or self worshippers. At least in my experiences.

Which president do you think was Muslim?

Does your kill all the Muslims position extend to Americans?

Are you familiar with the constitution? Specifically article 6 and amendment 1.
[Reply]
RodeoPants2 03:21 PM 09-14-2021

So my family is my number one priority. Is that my religion?
[Reply]
sully1983 05:02 PM 09-14-2021
https://www.vox.com/22654167/cost-de...istan-iraq-911
You kinda seem all giddy about this. That's pretty messed up but whatever. And lol at you linking a vox article. :-)
[Reply]
Over Yonder 05:53 PM 09-14-2021
Which president do you think was Muslim?
The one that ran around the Middle East trying to bow and beg for forgiveness for America.

Does your kill all the Muslims position extend to Americans?
I don't have a kill all Muslims position. I have an all Muslims want to kill me (or have other Muslims to do it for them) position.

Are you familiar with the constitution? Specifically article 6 and amendment 1.
I'm not a good person to ask constitution questions to. I'm not even smart enough to tackle "shall not be infringed" correctly according to many on the left. I think it means "shall not be infringed". I'm kinda slow, I guess :-)

So my family is my number one priority. Is that my religion?
I am most certainly not a theologian nor a psychologist so trying to diagnose a particular individual on the internet is above my paygrade. But as a olive branch, I will offer this as a general rule of thumb.

1. Faith/ obedience/worship to God.
2. Faith/ obedience/worship to spouse
3. Faith/ obedience/worship family
4. Faith/ obedience/worship to country

This is the order of what I understand priorities should be. This is a generalized list. I'm not putting my hand on a Bible and swearing it. Rodeo, I appreciate the back and forth. It seems like you are getting irritated or short fused. I may be reading that wrong. It's hard to pick up on this stuff in blind internet message boards. I don't want that to be the case.

Me and you are just about as opposite on every situation that could politically arise as can be, but we generally have civil discourse. I appreciate that. :-)
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:17 PM 09-14-2021
Don't worry, we'll probably be back in Afghanistan soon enough.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 09:20 PM 09-14-2021
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Don't worry, we'll probably be back in Afghanistan soon enough.
But just as good friends, right? We'll be there for honoring their female vice president, or the like?
[Reply]
KC_Lee 05:53 AM Yesterday
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
But just as good friends, right? We'll be there for honoring their female vice president, or the like?
Nah, we'll bring the full strength and might of the US military to ensure the Afghani LGBTQILMNOP rights are respected and upheld.
[Reply]
Bowser 01:28 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by KC_Lee:
Nah, we'll bring the full strength and might of the US military to ensure the Afghani LGBTQILMNOP rights are respected and upheld.
Heh. That's what we'll declare war on them for, not diverse enough. Never mind how they behead people for not being Muslim or chop clits off of women, it's because they don't have a trans on their governing body.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Up