ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 240
< 1234 56781454104 > Last »
Patteeu Memorial Political Forum>The Afghanistan lesson
El Lobo Gordo 12:33 AM 08-13-2021
Afghanistan is showing us that secular humanist societies are doomed to fall because they do not orientate the members of that society toward something that is "good".

I am not saying that the Taliban are good. I am saying that religion motivates people toward a singular purpose while secular humanism invites eventual death and destruction. The more the free west abdanons it judeo/christian faith, the more likely it is to fall.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 11:32 AM 08-13-2021
Yall are goofy. The Taliban are the people. One minute I'm having tea with the village elder, the next minute they are shooting at us as we exfil. We ain't winning shit there.
[Reply]
El Lobo Gordo 11:45 AM 08-13-2021
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
A few nukes would put an immediate end to the Taliban's little uprising. Luckily for them, the secular nations have shown mercy to their stupid religious asses.
Its not a little uprising. The Taliban are 50 miles outside of Kabul now. The secular afghan government is being supplanted by a theocracy.
[Reply]
Pogue 11:46 AM 08-13-2021
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
Take the biased spin out.

If there was a lesson, it is we should not spend trillions on a war we have no interest in winning, fighting over a rock populated with 4th century subhumans. Best to arm both sides and stay home.

We have not learned that lesson since Korea
Vietnam 2.0.

People need to learn and realize that Vietnam and Afghanistan were of zero interest to the United States. The shot callers and decision makers figured out that the government could fund their friends via endless wars. Vietnam went on for 20 years, it was ramping up gradually over time.
[Reply]
Mennonite 11:48 AM 08-13-2021
The lesson is that Afghanistan and a good chunk of Pakistan should have been glassed on 9/12/2001.
[Reply]
NinerDoug 11:55 AM 08-13-2021
Originally Posted by El Lobo Gordo:
Its not a little uprising. The Taliban are 50 miles outside of Kabul now. The secular afghan government is being supplanted by a theocracy.
The First Amendment is greatest rule the World has ever known.
[Reply]
El Lobo Gordo 11:56 AM 08-13-2021
Originally Posted by RodeoPants2:
3. Religion is pretend.
Religion unites people. Secularism is cratering fertility rates. What do you think the world will look like in 500 years?
[Reply]
vailpass 11:59 AM 08-13-2021
Originally Posted by Dallas Chief:
The catchphrase of the week!

I believe I read somewhere they we pushed the Taliban out of 95% of the country while we there. Victory achieved from a military perspective. Politically, we never planned to win and, in my opinion, this whole exercise past 2008 was an effort to create value for that whole military industrial complex thing. I could be wrong, but this is what my brain tells me that makes the most sense of why the dominoes are falling the way they are now.
Yes, itís a trite expression. I do feel we had to act. You canít **** with the US. Itís an intractable situation there and this outcome was inevitable due to the ANF not having the will. We will see what happens from here.
[Reply]
NinerDoug 12:00 PM 08-13-2021
Religion unites people. Secularism is cratering fertility rates. What do you think the world will look like in 500 years?
Good to know. Bullshit, but good to know.
[Reply]
El Lobo Gordo 12:06 PM 08-13-2021
Originally Posted by NinerDoug:
Good to know. Bullshit, but good to know.
The least fertile people are secular people. That might be tough for you to accept but it is true. Humans need God to thrive and prosper, otherwise we are going extinct.
[Reply]
Ninerfan11 12:08 PM 08-13-2021
The least fertile people are secular people. That might be tough for you to accept but it is true. Humans need God to thrive and prosper, otherwise we are going extinct.
His "side" is defined by being Godless. He's too stupid to realize it though.
[Reply]
Ninerfan11 12:09 PM 08-13-2021
Who cares about Afghanistan? What about our border?
[Reply]
NinerDoug 12:14 PM 08-13-2021
Dude. It's got nothing to do with religion, unless you want to focus on the Catholic Church's prohibition on artificial birth control.

It's economics.
[Reply]
NinerDoug 12:15 PM 08-13-2021
Originally Posted by Ninerfan11:
His "side" is defined by being Godless. He's too stupid to realize it though.
You are an idiot. The sooner you accept that, the happier you will be.

Denial is your enemy, my retarded little friend.
[Reply]
frozenchief 12:16 PM 08-13-2021
Originally Posted by RodeoPants2:
1. Arguing that Jesus was a real person who existed is not the same as arguing he was a magical / holy
2. Looks like the 'evidence' cited is largely just writings of christians, decades later. Not exactly strong stuff, but really who cares.
3. Religion is pretend.
Your original statement was that Jesus was fake. That is historically incorrect. If that is not what you meant, then you should clarify. Imprecise language leads to imprecise thinking.

And there is a great deal of writing from non-Christians that establishes the existence of Jesus. You say 'decades later' but fail to recognize the significance of that fact. Consider the Iliad, one of the great works of literature in Western history. Estimated to have been written in 8th century BC, the oldest copies we have of the Iliad come from 2nd century BC, roughly 600 years later. Further, we only have a handful of copies of the Iliad and they vary tremendously among composition. The difference in biblical manuscripts is astoundingly minimal.

Alexander the Great lived in 4th century BC. The earliest writings we have stem from the Roman Empire roughly 400 years after his death. And again, we only have a handful of manuscripts - about half a dozen. In fact, most of what we know about the ancient world comes from a surprisingly limited number of manuscripts and scrolls or carvings. Records of Julius Caesar, for example, are likewise extremely limited and our earliest manuscripts are from a few hundred years after his death.

The evidence of the historical Jesus, though, is unique in quantity and contemporaneousness as compared to evidence of any other person from the ancient world. There are literally thousands of manuscripts about Jesus. Further, they date, as you say, to within decades of his life. Our oldest manuscripts date from the early 2nd century (about 115 AD) and are copies of eyewitness accounts, both Christian and non-Christian. Compared to other documents from ancient history, that is practically contemporaneous.

You can say religion is pretend. That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. But I find it very interesting that 11 of Jesus' disciples were put to death for claiming he was God. All of them claimed to have seen Jesus after he was risen from the dead. Their deaths were brutal and violent and to avoid death, all they had to do was admit that they had not seen Jesus and that Jesus was not God. Yet they refused. That makes no sense if they were making it up. Is it proof to mathematical certainty? No. But if I made up a religion about Santa Claus and was preaching he was real, I would probably back down on my claims very quickly if some people were about to nail me to a cross or cut me in two for saying Santa was real. Jesus' disciples did not back down.
[Reply]
El Lobo Gordo 12:21 PM 08-13-2021
Originally Posted by NinerDoug:
Dude. It's got nothing to do with religion, unless you want to focus on the Catholic Church's prohibition on artificial birth control.

It's economics.
Its not economics. Secular societies have plenty of resources to support higher fertility rates. "Economics" is an excuse to use those resources toward more selfish ends.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 240
< 1234 56781454104 > Last »
Up