ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 38 of 40
« First < 283435363738 3940 >
Nzoner's Game Room>I can't believe this team passed on Derek Carr
RunKC 10:13 AM 12-08-2014
It's Raiders week and I really don't care about them that much. I hate their fans. I hate their stadium. I hate everything about them. But I'm jealous. I'm jealous of the Raiders for the second time in my entire life. The first was with Rich Gannon, who we threw away. We know the story and what they went on to do.

But this week I'm jealous of them for the second time in my life.
I can't believe that John Dorsey passed on a QB that reminds me a lot of what makes Aaron Rodgers good. Great arm. Great leadership. Great feet. Just needs coaching.

I'm looking back at the Senior Bowl last year and am seeing the following statements about this young man:

"Derek carr's velocity, especially in the gusty wind, was once again impressive. When it comes to arm strength, he really has no competition."

"Carr looked very athletic in an escape drill showcasing his impression footwork."

I saw tweets like this that made me appreciate him

@nfldraftscout: Derek Carr won me over at the Senior Bowl...where he stayed after practice every day to get extra reps with new WRs.

@ryanlownes: @JimmyKempski Ran routes for Derek Carr after practice every day at the Senior Bowl. No shortage of work ethic or competitiveness.

And then I remember us this tweet on the day of the draft:

@KanCityChiefFan: Mort: Kansas City Chiefs are a sleeper QB team in 2014 NFL Draft - Arrowhead Pride (blog) http://t.co/Pn0XVl203s

I thought this regime would be different. I really did. I didn't mind Alex as a stop gap while we developed a guy like GB did with Rodgers, but it's always the same with this franchise.

Now we have to watch the team we all hate with a good looking QB of the future that we should have drafted.
Such is life as a Chiefs fan..
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 02:23 PM 12-09-2022
Originally Posted by Urc Burry:
I haven’t noticed it to be as over the top in the past as it is this year. But raiders fans love for Derek Carr is…. Weird. Obviously he hasn’t had a perfect supporting cast during his career. But they refuse to put any blame on him. At all. And yeah McDipshit sucks. But Carr ain’t the solution to ever getting over the hump. They could bring in Sean Payton and they would want him out after a slow start before they ever blamed Carr
Well you're talking about a fan base who, in large part, picked their favorite team based on the "tough guy" reputation the Raiders haven't had for 40 years.
[Reply]
RealSNR 02:23 PM 12-09-2022
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Whew. Looks like I didn't make too much of an ass out of myself.

This one isn't bad:

This one is a little rough though lol:

Checked the date and it was after that 43-14 beatdown the Steelers gave us on primetime so I was understandably a little frazzled.
We lose by a field goal to Cincinnati and we still get people yelling about burning down the whole thing. New coach, coaching staff, trade Jones and cut everybody else not on a rookie deal on defense, etc.

Only difference is we now have Mahomes so people aren't talking about replacing the QB.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 02:31 PM 12-09-2022
What an insanely horrible thread. Chief Fans wanted Derek Carr?!? Are you ****ing kidding me?

I hope nobody ever confuses us with a fanbase that understands football.
[Reply]
Rausch 02:36 PM 12-09-2022
Originally Posted by Spott:
Whenever I see a thread like this bumped, I just hope that I didn’t post in it.
Ditto.

That said it was pretty rare for me not to give my opinion so...
[Reply]
RunKC 02:42 PM 12-09-2022
What an odd thread to bump.

The truth is Derek Carr has vastly outperformed his draft stock relative to his situation and is a roughly average QB at the moment. What’s interesting is he has never ever had a coach that is good at offense.

Dennis Allen, Jack Del Rio, Tony Sparano, Jon Gruden, Rich Bassaccia and Josh McDaniels.

Has there been a good QB we try a worse organization guiding him?

Coaching is critical. Mahomes is nowhere near who he is today without Andy Reid. If he goes to a team like the Jets then he might be on his 2nd team at this point bc of how terrible that franchise was.

Andy would have made Carr look way better. I’d argue he’d have him developed into a top 10 QB.

Anyone who thinks differently should look at Alex Smith’s career before Jom Harbaugh/Andy Reid and Geno Smith this year compared to his entire time in NY.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 02:56 PM 12-09-2022
This thread isn’t full of stupid takes, it’s full of desperate takes.

I wasn’t on here but I remember those days.

Just please try to get a QB early in the draft. Just try for once. Every other team seemingly tries.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 03:06 PM 12-09-2022
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
:-) Derek Carr hasn't won a single playoff game in his entire career. Being frustrated that the Chiefs were content to ride with Alex Smith was one thing, but to actually throw a tantrum about not drafting this hot mess? Oooooooooffffff
Luckily we went with Alex Smith who delivered us great success with *checks notes* a sole thrilling playoff victory over the Brian Hoyer led Texans.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 03:32 PM 12-09-2022
I wonder what Carr's record is in 1-score games?
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 03:32 PM 12-09-2022
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
This thread isn’t full of stupid takes, it’s full of desperate takes.

I wasn’t on here but I remember those days.

Just please try to get a QB early in the draft. Just try for once. Every other team seemingly tries.
My thoughts exactly. I wasn't posting on this board yet but was a lurker, and I remember reading this thread and feeling the same way. We've forgotten very quickly just how bad it can be.

Who would have thought 8 years later, we'd literally have the best QB to potentially ever play the game. It wasn't a thought I even fathomed back them, I just wanted someone who could win a playoff game.

Cherish every second of it while you can.
[Reply]
tredadda 03:47 PM 12-09-2022
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
I wonder what Carr's record is in 1-score games?
More curious what his record is when leading by double digits.
[Reply]
notorious 04:13 PM 12-09-2022
(checking my posting history in this thread......didn't say anything stupid)

[Reply]
Spott 04:25 PM 12-09-2022
Originally Posted by ROYC75:
Me too. FWIW, I don't recall being on the Derrick Carr bandwagon, �� could have, just don't recall it. I have to read this thread to see if I was stupid back then on him.

Now I was for David, before the Texans destroyed him. Now, I can't stand listening to him!
This thread was when I took a two year hiatus from the board because of the influx of Alex Smith fans that made this place intolerable for a while. I don’t watch enough college football to have wanted to draft him and honestly don’t remember where he went to college, although I remember David went to Fresno St.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 04:28 PM 12-09-2022
Originally Posted by Spott:
This thread was when I took a two year hiatus from the board because of the influx of Alex Smith fans that made this place intolerable for a while. I don’t watch enough college football to have wanted to draft him and honestly don’t remember where he went to college, although I remember David went to Fresno St.
It's amazing to me that there were ever Alex Smith fans anywhere, outside of his own family.

That's like a person's favorite food being Saltine crackers.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 04:32 PM 12-09-2022
Derek Carr with Andy Reid coaching > Alex Smith with Andy Reid coaching
[Reply]
ThaVirus 04:35 PM 12-09-2022
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
That's not too bad. KC won a single playoff game between your post, and the 2017 draft. Losing all of those guys would've made little difference at the time.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it's actually worse. We didn't win any playoff games from that point until the 2017 draft.

We had a high seed in 2016 so we got a bye week then lost to the Steelers in the Divisional Round 18-16 matchup.
[Reply]
Page 38 of 40
« First < 283435363738 3940 >
Up