ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 11
« First < 45678 91011 >
Nzoner's Game Room>EV Cars/Trucks
SurroundedByMorons 08:58 AM 03-30-2024
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I run a home energy monitor, and in the past 12 months our cars have used 2,661 KWh compared to our other usage of 5,023 KWh. So in our case, EV usage is about 50% of our house's usage.

I'd be really curious to know where in the world a 13x number came from. Obviously not reality, but it's a bit random.
Which home energy monitor do you use? Do you like/recommend?
[Reply]
DaFace 10:50 AM 03-30-2024
Originally Posted by SurroundedByMorons:
Which home energy monitor do you use? Do you like/recommend?
I'm using this one from Emporia Energy. It takes some level of tech savvy to install and configure, but their tech support via chat is really good at helping you work through things.

I like it better than the popular one from Sense, though. Where Sense just monitors overall use and then tries to use AI to identify what's what, the Emporia monitor can measure each circuit individually, which seems like it'd be far more accurate.

The Emporia one can be a little bit of a rat's nest once you install it, but it all just hides in your breaker box anyway. Here's a photo of mine just to give you the idea.

My only complaint is that the app is just OK, and there are a lot of "features" that just say coming soon...and have said that ever since I got it 2 years ago. But they're not critical, so if you're just looking for the basic function of measuring usage by circuit, it works fine. I believe the app has a demo mode that you can download to get a feel for how it would work before you buy.
Attached: PXL_20230503_212317804.jpg (127.3 KB) 
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 03:10 PM 12-01-2023
Yeah my wife’s car didn’t add anywhere close to that much energy, we land between you and BWillie
[Reply]
Otter 07:58 PM 12-01-2023
Originally Posted by Perineum Ripper:
Yeah my wife’s car didn’t add anywhere close to that much energy, we land between you and BWillie

Get a room.
[Reply]
mabbott 04:11 PM 03-27-2024
I know Calfifornia has already considered a road tax "usage" tax that would be payed annually based on how many miles were driven. It didn't gain much ground; however, the closer we get to the 2035 all electric date, that will have to change as the amount of money raised by the gas tax will get less and less. I know I won't have to worry about that as I am eligible to leave California at the end of next year.
[Reply]
Lzen 07:32 AM 03-28-2024
Originally Posted by mabbott:
I know Calfifornia has already considered a road tax "usage" tax that would be payed annually based on how many miles were driven. It didn't gain much ground; however, the closer we get to the 2035 all electric date, that will have to change as the amount of money raised by the gas tax will get less and less. I know I won't have to worry about that as I am eligible to leave California at the end of next year.
That is something they are considering now in Kansas. I just hope they don't do something stupid, like put another tax on all electricity customers.
[Reply]
MagicHef 10:17 AM 03-28-2024
Originally Posted by mabbott:
In Washington, I had to pay an extra registration fee because I won't be paying gas taxes. I think it was $175.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:24 AM 03-28-2024
Originally Posted by MagicHef:
In Washington, I had to pay an extra registration fee because I won't be paying gas taxes. I think it was $175.
It's only $50 in Colorado, but I bet it'll go up over time as EVs make up a higher percentage of cars on the road.
[Reply]
BWillie 08:52 PM 03-28-2024
Originally Posted by MagicHef:
That's ridiculous
[Reply]
HemiEd 04:49 AM 03-29-2024
Originally Posted by BWillie:
That's ridiculous
You do realize the gas taxes are used for road construction and maintenance, right?

You expect a FREE RIDE?

[Reply]
BWillie 06:45 AM 03-29-2024
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
You do realize the gas taxes are used for road construction and maintenance, right?

You expect a FREE RIDE?

You would think you would be more thankful to the people that are helping lower the price of YOUR gas.
[Reply]
neech 08:22 AM 03-29-2024

You expect a FREE RIDE?
"You didn't build that"
[Reply]
DaFace 08:55 AM 03-29-2024

You expect a FREE RIDE?
To be fair, there's nothing set in stone that says that's the way roads SHOULD be financed. Some states don't have income taxes, but they have higher property and/or sales taxes - they can choose how they want it to work.

In a distant future where EVs are the majority, states could possibly choose to pay for road maintenance from other sources. And sure, you could argue that paying for it from gas taxes is the most "fair" way of doing it, but I don't get a break on my taxes because I don't have kids who go to school and don't go to parks very often.

In the meantime, I don't have an issue with (reasonable) registration fees for EVs, but the model at its core doesn't HAVE to stay that way.
[Reply]
Pinchshot 06:11 PM 03-27-2024
We still talking about this scam?
[Reply]
BWillie 08:21 PM 03-27-2024
Originally Posted by Pinchshot:
We still talking about this scam?
Scam? Smh....
[Reply]
Page 8 of 11
« First < 45678 91011 >
Up