ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 71 of 221
« First < 21616768697071 7273747581121171 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
KcMizzou 08:56 PM 05-28-2014
You have to throw back blue cat between like 20 and 30 inches right now. I know we threw back at least 6 or 7 in that range. They're trying to let those guys get bigger at Lake of the Ozarks.
[Reply]
Easy 6 08:57 PM 05-28-2014
Originally Posted by KcMizzou:
It's a blue. Caught at our Grandpa's property near Climax Springs. We didn't have a scale, but he was 35 inches.
Its a great looking fish, I'd chop it into little bits and fry it.

Climax Springs? pretty sure I watched that movie on Cinemax when I was a kid.
[Reply]
KcMizzou 08:59 PM 05-28-2014
Originally Posted by scott free:

He's a fish fry on his own..lol

and :-)
[Reply]
stonedstooge 09:05 PM 05-28-2014
Anyone else follow solunar tables? I kind of keep an eye on them just for kicks. Today was supposed to be excellent. Sure wasn't for me
[Reply]
Easy 6 09:06 PM 05-28-2014
He's a fish fry on his own..lol

and :-)
Party on, Wayne... :-)
[Reply]
SAUTO 09:07 PM 05-28-2014
Originally Posted by scott free:

Everyone around here just calls it climax :-).
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
KcMizzou 09:12 PM 05-28-2014
Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO:
Everyone around here just calls it climax :-).
Posted via Mobile Device
Heheh. For the record, it's the only thing with a name you might call a town before you get to the property. It's way out in the boonies... which is awesome.

Got a dock, got a boat, nobody minds if things get rowdy...

44 mile marker
[Reply]
SAUTO 09:21 PM 05-28-2014
Heheh. For the record, it's the only thing with a name you might call a town before you get to the property. It's way out in the boonies... which is awesome.

Got a dock, got a boat, nobody minds if things get rowdy...

44 mile marker
Is that down dd?
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
SAUTO 09:24 PM 05-28-2014
Nope I'm wrong it would be farther down that that
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
redshirt32 12:38 AM 05-29-2014
I posted this in the wrong thread earlier. This is where it belongs.

This is the biggest catch of our Memorial Day weekend trip. That's a co-worker of mine, and my goofy brother with the double birds. I tried to get this thing in a net...lol no chance.

Nice cat, a friend of mine caught one around the same size in Smithville lake around 3 in the morning, we took pics and let it go, we never keep big fish or eat them, little ones taste far more better and the bigger ones keep the blood line going for future generations. Im sure you just had to reach in and grab him by the gills to get him in no net for this one!

Headed to Ind to cat fish with my brother in July he has caught a 59lb Cat , gong up north to Canada in Aug for pig pike and walley, then beaver lake late Aug, then Tex/Oklahoma to fish stripers with my cuzz first week of Sept im so ready to go fishing!
[Reply]
redshirt32 01:38 AM 05-29-2014
Originally Posted by Red Beans:
Nope. I'm pretty white. The thing is, a lot of the reasons people don't eat certain fish are based on traditional notions that are derived from sentiments like yours. Think about it, people will eat a shitload of catfish, a fish that eats live and decaying flesh, but fail to eat a drum that eats far less disgusting material than a catfish. I'll eat just about whatever I catch, but catfish are probably my least favorite. Both white bass and drum are pretty decent eating. I'd say they're on par with smallies or largemouth....
When you guys say drum, is that not really a carp?
I landed a 17 LB carp out of Beaver Lake mid 1990's, I was always taught to kill all carp big or small.
I gave it to my wife's dad who in turn gave it to a Latino friend of his who pressure cooked it and pickled it in mason jars with vinager salt pepper and catsup, but you know shit tasted good and had no bones after pressure cooking.
Anyone ever had carp pickled like this before ? or know how too?
[Reply]
Bob Dole 08:29 AM 05-29-2014
Damnit. Clicked on this thread and am now going to have to stop by the shop down the road and buy some buffalo ribs.
[Reply]
seclark 01:43 PM 06-19-2014
bump...leaving tomorrow for the annual men's river week.
me son, grandson driving down from nemo
other son driving up from new mexico
brother and his son driving up from florida
brother in law and his son driving down from Omaha
2 cousins driving down from st. louis

camping on the current the first 2 nights, then have a cabin rented the next 4 nights, then camp again the last night.

fish, float and sit around drinking and shooting the shit.

changed all the 8lb test line down to 4lb for the clear water river fish on 10 poles.

been doing this for several years. it's good for the soul.
sec
[Reply]
Iowanian 03:06 PM 06-19-2014
Have a great time.

We're making a run to our favorite lake on the Mo-Ark boarder next week.
[Reply]
NewChief 03:13 PM 06-19-2014
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
Have a great time.

We're making a run to our favorite lake on the Mo-Ark boarder next week.
Where you headed?
[Reply]
Page 71 of 221
« First < 21616768697071 7273747581121171 > Last »
Up