ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 25 of 221
« First < 152122232425 262728293575125 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
NewChief 11:39 AM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by Donger:
Me too. I've got to figure out the best way to catch rainbow trout with artificial bait (no-fly fishing).
Powerbait. Though if I lived in Colorado, I'd take the time to get into fly fishing.
[Reply]
Donger 11:41 AM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by NewChief:
Powerbait. Though if I lived in Colorado, I'd take the time to get into fly fishing.
This?

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/produ...bait/powerbait

If so, would you mind translating it for me?
[Reply]
Dayze 11:42 AM 03-15-2012
Best way to get into fishing is to find someone who likes to fish and learn from them.
I'm going with my brother sometime soon to go crappie fishing. he bought me my first pole/reel for my birthday. Nothing fancy, but nice enough for me. Looks like a good starter rod....at least to this novice.
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 11:44 AM 03-15-2012
This?

In many states most of the trout that you fish for are freshly stocked fish - that is the state puts them in the water for people to catch, kill and eat.

Berkley powerbait is a mixture of crack cocaine and methamphetamine to those freshly stocked trout. They love it. It has a play dough consistency. You make a little ball, put it on your hook and catch trout.
[Reply]
Donger 11:49 AM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by Chiefnj2:
In many states most of the trout that you fish for are freshly stocked fish - that is the state puts them in the water for people to catch, kill and eat.

Berkley powerbait is a mixture of crack cocaine and methamphetamine to those freshly stocked trout. They love it. It has a play dough consistency. You make a little ball, put it on your hook and catch trout.
The lake where we'll be fishing is private and stocked, but live bait is prohibited and you can't take the fish you catch. There is another lake up the way that is catch and take, though.

How do you fish with this stuff? Line and bobber?
[Reply]
Donger 11:51 AM 03-15-2012
Huh. I just looked at the rules again and it states this: "Artificial fly and lure ONLY"

Does that mean I can't use the Powerbait?
[Reply]
NewChief 11:51 AM 03-15-2012
This?

This is about as easy as it gets:
http://www.berkley-fishing.com/produ.../trout-nuggets

I should say that powerbait is best on stockers. So if it's a stocked lake or slow moving stream. They were raised on similar food, so they take it readily. Wild trout are not going to take it as readily. For wild trout in swift moving streams, you're going to want to use a casting bubble with flies or fish with spinners. You can also try live worms.
[Reply]
NewChief 11:52 AM 03-15-2012
Huh. I just looked at the rules again and it states this: "Artificial fly and lure ONLY"

No. You can. That's artificial. Just means you can't use worms, crickets, and minnows.
[Reply]
seclark 11:53 AM 03-15-2012

shit donger, there's got to be a better place than that to go fishing. they probably don't want you to piss in the water either.
sec
[Reply]
Donger 11:54 AM 03-15-2012
No. You can. That's artificial. Just means you can't use worms, crickets, and minnows.
Oh, okay. Here are the rules for the other lake:

"Dry flies, lures, worms, power bait, fish eggs are to be used ONLY. No live
minnows or fish are to be used as bait."
[Reply]
Donger 11:54 AM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by seclark:
shit donger, there's got to be a better place than that to go fishing. they probably don't want you to piss in the water either.
sec
:-)

It's right outside the house, so I think we'll probably get our feet wet there first.
[Reply]
NewChief 11:55 AM 03-15-2012
Oh, okay. Here are the rules for the other lake:

"Dry flies, lures, worms, power bait, fish eggs are to be used ONLY. No live
minnows or fish are to be used as bait."
One thing: check hook regulations on the catch and release lake. Many of them won't let you use treble hooks or will make you bend down the barbs on the hooks.
[Reply]
seclark 11:56 AM 03-15-2012
:-)

It's right outside the house, so I think we'll probably get our feet wet there first.
i kinda figured that...dress code, too?:-)
sec
[Reply]
Donger 11:57 AM 03-15-2012
One thing: check hook regulations on the catch and release lake. Many of them won't let you use treble hooks or will make you bend down the barbs on the hooks.
Great tip, thanks.
[Reply]
Donger 11:58 AM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by seclark:
i kinda figured that...dress code, too?:-)
sec
I don't know, but I hope so. The wife is getting me a complete "mountain man fishing outfit" so that I "fit in."
[Reply]
Page 25 of 221
« First < 152122232425 262728293575125 > Last »
Up