ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 645 of 726
« First < 145545595635641642643644645 646647648649655695 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>New Conference re-alignment thread
Saulbadguy 07:57 AM 09-12-2011
The old one has AIDS.

Anyways, Chip Brown from Orangebloods.com reports OU may apply to the Pac-12 by the end of the month.

Oklahoma will apply for membership to the Pac-12 before the end of the month, and Oklahoma State is expected to follow suit, a source close to OU's administration told Orangebloods.com.

Even though Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said Friday the Pac-12 was not interested in expansion at this time, OU's board of regents is fed up with the instability in the Big 12, the source said.

The OU board of regents will meet within two weeks to formalize plans to apply for membership to the Pac-12, the source said.

Messages left Sunday night with OU athletic director Joe Castiglione and Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder were not immediately returned.

If OU follows through with what appears to be a unanimous sentiment on the seven-member Oklahoma board of regents to leave the Big 12, realignment in college athletics could be heating back up. OU's application would be matched by an application from Oklahoma State, the source said, even though OSU president Burns Hargis and mega-booster Boone Pickens both voiced their support for the Big 12 last Thursday.

There is differing sentiment about if the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors are ready to expand again after bringing in Colorado and Utah last year and landing $3 billion TV contracts from Fox and ESPN. Colorado president Bruce Benson told reporters last week CU would be opposed to any expansion that might bring about east and west divisions in the Pac-12.

Currently, there are north and south divisions in the Pac-12. If OU and OSU were to join, Larry Scott would have to get creative.

Scott's orginal plan last summer was to bring in Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and put them in an eastern division with Arizona and Arizona State. The old Pac-8 schools (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) were to be in the west division.

Colorado made the move in June 2010, but when Texas A&M was not on board to go west, the Big 12 came back together with the help of its television partners (ABC/ESPN and Fox).

If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were accepted into the Pac-12, there would undoubtedly be a hope by Larry Scott that Texas would join the league. But Texas sources have indicated UT is determined to hang onto the Longhorn Network, which would not be permissible in the Pac-12 in its current form.

Texas sources continue to indicate to Orangebloods.com that if the Big 12 falls apart, the Longhorns would consider "all options."

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe held an emergency conference call 10 days ago with league presidents excluding Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M and asked the other league presidents to "work on Texas" because Beebe didn't think the Pac-12 would take Oklahoma without Texas.

Now, it appears OU is willing to take its chances with the Pac-12 with or without Texas.

There seemed to be a temporary pause in any possible shifting of the college athletics' landscape when Baylor led a charge to tie up Texas A&M's move to the Southeastern Conference in legal red tape. BU refused to waive its right to sue the SEC over A&M's departure from the Big 12, and the SEC said it would not admit Texas A&M until it had been cleared of any potential lawsuits.

Baylor, Kansas and Iowa State have indicated they will not waive their right to sue the SEC.

It's unclear if an application by OU to the Pac-12 would draw the same threats of litigation against the Pac-12 from those Big 12 schools.

Stay tuned.
[Reply]
RustShack 02:10 PM 09-10-2021
Originally Posted by TribalElder:
:-) still going

beaks just keep going

:-)

big whatever is gonna end up getting relegated out of the power 5 :-)
That isn’t happening. The Big12 is legally one of the five autonomy conferences. P5 is a media label. If anything, the Big12 made the gap between P5 and G5 larger. On top of that, the Pac12 and ACC isn’t much if any better than this new Big12 overall.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 02:18 PM 09-10-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Perhaps this is of interest to you.

Wall Street Journal College Football Value Rankings:https://graphics.wsj.com/table/NCAA_2019

1. Texas
2. Ohio State
3. Alabama
4. Michigan
5. Notre Dame
--------------
29. Kansas State
30. Oklahoma State
39. Kansas
43. Iowa State
56. Missouri
60. BYU
65. Central Florida

KU football program alone is valued higher than Missouri even DESPITE not being in the SEC. KU Football is a sleeping giant, meaning if they can figure out how to ever even be perennially .500 they are going to churn $$$

Now the loss of Texas and OU hurt - no doubt - but the loss of Missouri is not even a big deal. Big 12 just invited two teams of similar value to Missouri to the conference.

As I’ve posted, the hoops value is $320m at Kansas. So combined, Kansas athletics is worth 2x any other school in the B3.0. (A whopping 10x what Mizzouche worth, tho that’ll change with the new SEC deal)
[Reply]
ROYC75 02:41 PM 09-10-2021
Originally Posted by tredadda:
Yeah, I see your argument but Colorado jumped ship due to cultural fit more than anything. Can't see them changing on that. It's best for the Big 12 to expand east to support WVU versus going farther west, unless they can snag a bigger fish like BYU which they were able to do.
BYU, done, Boise State is next!

Originally Posted by ChiTown:
It had more to do with cultural fit with the PAC than anything else. Athletically, it’s been a horrible move.
Originally Posted by Carr4MVP:
Colorado is not leaving the PAC 12 where they fit culturally to rejoin a depleted B12 that lost their biggest rival in Nebraska. The PAC 12 is struggling but it is shielded from poaching by its location.
IMHO, cutural fit has nothing to do with it anymore, it's all about $$$

How? They need to establish some brand stability before expanding more.

Let's look at your list:

ND: :-) Never happening. They will join the ACC first.
Very well could be true, but I also said, " I knew/know ND will not do it," . So stop trying to make yourself look better by thinking you just staged yourself, 1 up ! I already covered that statement. But enjoy your belly laugh that you somehow showed up a comment when I mentioned it was merely attempting to be aggresive!

Colorado isn't returning
Utah isn't leaving the stable PAC 12 to join the same conference as BYU.
Memphis will be available whenever the BIG 12 wishes to pluck it.
Coastal Carolina had ONE GOOD SEASON. You don't make expansion decisions off a single season and a COVID season at that.
USF: Why? The school is struggling and UCF brings the Florida market well enough. The War on I-4 is a great rivalry but it has little national cache.
Boise State is a regional academic school and their football luster is wearing off. Like Memphis, the BIG 12 can pluck them whenever they please.
Please don't give me the cultural BS when $$$ is driving the bus here. Colorado could jump back if they think they could get relevant on competing again, more money than the dormant PAC 12, additional schools in their area, BYU,Boise State, maybe Wyoming, Damn, who knows, maybe Co State too.
I already mentioned Memphis as basketball only, their football is almost on KU's level, not there, but almost. All KU has to do is start winning again, it will take care of itself, I know, tall order.
I'll give you a Coastal Carolina, but again, see the argument with USF,UCF, WV,

Why USF? Miami, another east coast school to go with UCF, WV ? Goes without saying that it's the TV markets driving this thing!

Not on your opinion of laughter " Oh shit, now that's funny "!
[Reply]
Stewie 02:59 PM 09-10-2021
:-) still going

beaks just keep going

big whatever is gonna end up getting relegated out of the power 5 :-)

The story of the big SEC event after MU was brought in:

SEC exec: Welcome to the kickoff event of the new SEC!

MU representative: Thanks! This is quite impressive, especially the food buffet.

SEC exec: Yes! We pride ourselves on our football and food culture. Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Florida supplied all the seafood and delicious sides. The other schools provided great appetizers and drinks.

MU rep: I can't wait for our committee to dive in to all the great food and eventually the great football.

SEC exec: So, what did MU bring to the buffet?

MU rep: Toast and popsicles.

SEC exec: That's awesome. Your seats are over there at the card table.

MU rep: That's in the corner and so far away. And metal folding chairs?

SEC exec: We call it the "bring us some real food and football" area.

MU rep: Ah! I think the food we brought is the same as the football.

SEC exec: Huh? Excuse me. Important SEC stuff going on over there.
[Reply]
ROYC75 03:13 PM 09-10-2021
This thread is getting away from football related, conferences realignments to an MU vs KU chest thumping, dick swinging contest that literally has no relevance at all!

It's freaking petty! We all should have been over this shit years ago when MU left to be the doormat to the SEC for more money! They left, they have their money, all of the fan base is happy and yet the KU folks are wanting to laugh at MU for going to the bank! :-)

Personally, anybody wants to laugh at me for taking my money to the bank can just ****ing laugh, the joke is on them!

As for MU laughing at KU for sucking in the B12, or the fate of what the B12 is, really shouldn't throw stones at them. Literally you went from being relevant in the B12 to laughing stock of the SEC ( B12 or any other school excluded of course, $$$ ). MU is just another yearly win for the Power schools of the SEC in football and has been in basketball until this past year.

Hardly anything to write home about to Mom or Dad from campus, or to talk about around the dinner table.

For it to take away from a perfectly good thread to discuss the probability of what has, is or about to happen or even could happen, just for you to literally take aim at a school's ability/inability or at somebody else's shape/position is just as bad the position you are in yourself.

Petty shit .... now carry on children, try to play nice while the men talk!
[Reply]
Stewie 03:20 PM 09-10-2021
Originally Posted by ROYC75:
This thread is getting away from football related, conferences realignments
You're a bore.
[Reply]
ROYC75 03:25 PM 09-10-2021
Originally Posted by Stewie:
You're a bore.
I know, I have my moments, guess I'm not as much like Eastwood than I thought!
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 03:33 PM 09-10-2021
Boise State is absolute trash outside football and that has been declining as well.
[Reply]
Bearcat 03:38 PM 09-10-2021
Originally Posted by ROYC75:
This thread is getting away from football related, conferences realignments to an MU vs KU chest thumping, dick swinging contest that literally has no relevance at all!

It's freaking petty! We all should have been over this shit years ago when MU left to be the doormat to the SEC for more money! They left, they have their money, all of the fan base is happy and yet the KU folks are wanting to laugh at MU for going to the bank! :-)
I don't blame MU for leaving... I've always laughed at these threads, especially in the realm of football, because it's the equivalent of Browns fans spending hours on end telling Lions fans how much better they are, etc.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 03:47 PM 09-10-2021
Originally Posted by Stewie:
I assume the 2 divisions will be the Texas schools and BYU in the west and the rest in the east.
No. They’ll split the Texas schools.
[Reply]
TribalElder 03:55 PM 09-10-2021
Perhaps this is of interest to you.
it doesn't

[Reply]
BWillie 04:19 PM 09-10-2021
it doesn't

I figured you would your head in the sand when you found out KU's football program is valued higher than Methzou's
[Reply]
RustShack 04:39 PM 09-10-2021
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
No. They’ll split the Texas schools.
They could, but it’s not as important as people make it out to be. 11 other teams in the conference, you play 9 of them a year if not more. Most conferences played 10 conference games last year, Big12 was the first to go to 9 conference games and others followed.
[Reply]
Eleazar 04:51 PM 09-10-2021
Looks more like the AAC than a “power 5” conference now
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 04:54 PM 09-10-2021
Why not poach the Big East? Is their football really that bad? I'd like to get some nice bball programs in here. U-Conn would be cool.

Not sure why Villanova doesn't want to try to get into FBS football, but maybe down the road for them.

I think BYU is a HUUUGE get. But not too jazzed on the other three. But honestly they are the best possible 4 we could probably hope for that aren't already in P5 conferences.

I don't know that I'd look to expand as it may water down the conference even further, but here is where I would look, in order:
U-Conn
Boise State
Memphis
Colorado State
South Florida
UAB
Temple
Wyoming

Obviously not much there. I think the Big 12 did pretty well
The Big East doesn't sponsor football anymore.

UConn's football is a disaster.

About Big East teams joining: 1. P5 conferences aren't into associate members for basketball. 2. The Big East, along with the MAC, is probably the most tightly knit conference in the land. They are mostly all urban, Catholic schools that aren't leaving their cozy conclaves to join a midwestern conference. And they want nothing to do with football schools. That is why the Catholic schools broke away with the Big East name in the first place and left the remaining schools to form the AAC.

Villanova is all about basketball. They had a chance to join the Big East in football in the 2000s. Their pitch included a Powerpoint and a proposal to play in a 15,000 seat soccer stadium. They are happy enough to keep football in FCS world.

BYU is huge. The PAC 12 should have grabbed them but the California schools aren't tolerant enough to let Mormons into their country club. Houston is a solid school. Cincy has shown immense growth and UCF might be the next coming of 80s Miami. They are ambitious and aggressive.

Your list is certainly more realistic than most. I would place Memphis as the #1 candidate. UConn is too far ahead and football is pathetic. Temple has the same issues. Wyoming just isn't good enough yet. Colorado State has a glorious new OCS but they haven't won enough. Boise State doesn't have the academics and their recent football success is faltering. UAB has the potential. South Florida needs to figure what they want to be but they could make a play.

If the Big 12 had to take two more, I would go Memphis and South Florida. Memphis has both basketball and football (plus a nice spot in SEC country) and South Florida brings the I-4 rivalry. Plus, an extra trip for Florida helps with recruiting.

But like you said there isn't much left right now to pick from. Unless you wanted to bring in SMU or Rice to honor the old SWC. SMU will need to win a heck of lot to get in (like TCU did).
[Reply]
Page 645 of 726
« First < 145545595635641642643644645 646647648649655695 > Last »
Up