ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>2022 roster gives us a window into those two 2nd round picks:
Direckshun 11:45 AM 04-26-2021
Here's who we have under contract (and assumed Badger extension and Brown franchise tag) in 2022:

Per OverTheCap:

QB: Mahomes
RB: Edwards-Helaire, Thompson
FB:

WR: Hill, Hardman
TE: Kelce

LT: Brown (FT?)
LG: Thuney
C:
RG: Allegretti
RT: Niang, Durant

DE: Clark
DT: Jones, Wharton
DT: Saunders
DE: Danna

OLB: Gay
ILB: Hitchens
OLB:

CB: Sneed, Fenton, Keyes
S: Mathieu (extended?), Thornhill

So, first of all, that's 24 players plus two assumptions. That's the second lowest number of players under contract in the NFL in 2022 at this point, second to the Falcons who only have 20.

Second of all, you look at that list and what are by far the biggest areas of weakness?

LB only really has one player -- since Hitchens is cuttable next year (keeping him costs us $12.7, cutting him saves us 8.5 of that). And we have no one who can play center.

CB has a decent combo of Sneed and Fenton, with Ward becoming a free agent. We're very thin at DE with Clark (who becomes pretty cuttable, but not super cuttable) and Danna, and RB, WR, and TE are all paper thin.

So looking at this, I'd say our 2022 roster needs are:

DE
LB
C
CB
RB
WR
TE

Since we spent a 1st on RB last year, I don't think that's very likely. And the team doesn't value the #2 TE slot. So I'm removing those from consideration.

That leaves:

DE
LB
C
WR
CB

My predictions, should the Chiefs stay put with two 2nd rounders, is those positions go to DE and LB.

C, WR, and CB wouldn't surprise me either.
[Reply]
O.city 09:02 AM 04-27-2021
If there's a pass rusher that gets there I'd be a bit surprised, they usually get overdrafted.

CB and WR maybe.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 10:23 AM 04-27-2021
Fully onboard with BPA. Get some premier talent regardless of the position.

Going forward, probably going to need to stop trading high picks for expensive veterans, it’s not sustainable. Completely on board with the Brown trade because it was too much of a risk to hope for a rookie to to hold down the position. Fisher’s injury was just plain bad luck and put Veach in a tough position.

Having said that, it goes back to the need to capitalize in the draft when you have a chance. We’ve had very little draft capital and the one time we did have a rd 1 pick it was used on a RB where many would argue the positional value isn’t exactly the best at that spot. What’s done is done, we still have a roster primed for another competitive season and maybe a championship.

Beyond this season I think the 2021/22 drafts are going to be vital. If we can get 2 eventual starters in rd 2 that will go a long way. In 2022 KC will hoped get another rd 3 pick if Bienemy is hired and they’re footprint have to have another top notch draft to stay on track.
[Reply]
Hoover 10:44 AM 04-27-2021
Great post.

I think you can dig a little deeper too.

For example, RB is not an option with the two 2nd rounders, but it is after that.

I'm interested in what they do in this draft with the center position. While it's not an immediate need, your little exercise shows that its a hole on the roster. Now maybe Allegretti is solution there. Either way I think he's in play in 2022 for either the RG or Center position, but he's only under contract through 2022. The thing about the Center position is that how the Oline is constructed, meaning we are paying big money to Thuney and Brown, it benefits the Chiefs in the long term to fill that position in the draft. And we know how Andy loves to let rookie offensive linemen simmer on the bench their rookie year.

I don't know what to really think about LB, I understand it's a need, but I think they are more than satisfied with Hitch. And yes you can save money with his release, I just think its hard to get a read from them. And ask yourself this, if we did draft a LB with one of the second round picks, what are the chances he plays much at all besides special teams?

I think the real needs are at DE, CB, WR, and C when it comes to using those two second rounders. I know it wouldn't be popular here, but if the right guys are there it would be hard for me to pass up a good center and a WR or TE.

That said, I think its going to be a CB and WR based on value.
[Reply]
Wilson8 02:45 PM 04-27-2021
Looking at the draft from current 2021 roster, available free agents, and what Brett Veach has said to media.

QB (2) Patrick Mahomes, Chad Henne, Jordan Ta’amu, and Anthony Gordon.

RB/FB (5) Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Darrel Williams, Darwin Thompson, Derrick Gore, Elijah McGuire, and Michael Burton
Possible Draft – (207) RB Chris Evans, Michigan or Jaret Patterson, Buffalo
Possible sign - Veteran free agent if needed

WR (6) Tyreek Hill, Mecole Hardman, Byron Pringle, Demarcus Robinson, Antonio Callaway, Chad Williams, Marcus Kemp, Gehrig Dieter, Jody Fortson, Maurice Ffrench, and Dalton Schoen
Draft message from Brett Veach -“We like the four or five guys that we have on a roster. That in combination with what we think will be available during the middle rounds of the draft, I think would be something that we’ll put our priority in.” Chiefs reported interest in different free agents indicates KC still needs a WR.
Possible Draft – (144) WR Anthony Schwartz, Auburn, Tamorrion Terry, Florida State, Josh Palmer, Tennessee, Simi Fehoko, Stanford, Cornell Powell, Clemson, or Josh Imatorbhebhe, Illinois

OL (10) LT Orlando Brown , LG Joe Thuney, C Austin Blythe, RG Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, RT Mike Remmers, C/G Nick Allegretti, OL Kyle Long, OT Lucas Niang, Andrew Wylie, Yasir Durant, Martinas Rankin, Prince Tega Wanogho, Darryl Williams, and Bryan Witzman.
Draft message from Brett Veach - “I think there will be some depth in the O-line throughout the first three or four rounds, and same with the secondary.” This message was given before announcing the Orlando Brown trade.
Possible Draft - (181) Jaylon Moore, Western Michigan, Josh Ball, Marshall, Tommy Doyle, Miami (OH). Alaric Jackson, Iowa, Landon Young, Kentucky, Adrian Ealy Oklahoma

TE (3) Travis Kelce, Blake Bell, Nick Keizer, Sean Culkin, and Evan Baylis.
Off season message from Brett Veach – “Get Travis some help.”
Possible Sign - Tyler Eifert, Jesse James, Richard Rodgers, or Trey Burton

DL (9) Frank Clark, Chris Jones, Jurran Reed, Derrick Nnadi, Khalen Saunders, Michael Danna, Tershawn Wharton, Taco Charlton, Tim Ward, Austin Edwards, Demone Harris, and Tyler Clark.
Possible Draft (63) – Joe Tryon Washington, Payton Turner, Houston, Ronnie Perkins, Oklahoma, or Rashad Weaver, Pittsburgh

LB (5) Anthony Hitchens, Dorian O’Daniel, Willie Gay Jr, Ben Niemann, Darius Harris, Omari Cobb, and Emmanuel Smith
Draft message from Brett Veach - “The linebacker isn’t extremely deep.”
Anthony Hitchens still has two years on contract but his cap hit goes up to almost $13 M in 2022. We still don’t know what we have in Willie Gay Jr.
Possible Draft – (58) Nick Bolton, Missouri or Jabril Cox, LSU

S – (4) Tyrann Mathieu, Armani Watts, Juan Thornhill, Daniel Sorensen, and Rodney Clemons
Possible Sign – Malik Hooker
CB/DB – (6) Charvarius Ward, Rashad Fenton, L’Jarius Sneed, Thakarius Bopete Keyes, Deandre Baker, and Chris Lammons
Possible Re-sign – Bashaud Breeland
Possible Draft (175) –Deommodore Lenoir, Oregon, Keith Taylor, Washington, or Tre Brown, Oklahoma.

SPECIAL TEAMS (3) – K Harrison Butker, LS James Winchester, and P Tommy Townsend
Possible Sign - UDFA to compete in camp.
[Reply]
kccrow 07:27 PM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
This is fair and everything, but again:

After we cut Hitchens, we will have exactly 1 LB on the roster in 2022.

Don't sleep on it.
You're assuming we cut Hitchens, which I doubt almost entirely sans some Fisher-like injury.

While we fans don't care for him, the team loves him. I'd put the thought on the back burner, to be honest.
[Reply]
Wilson8 08:21 PM 04-27-2021
Super Bowl Championship Team

QB (2) Patrick Mahomes, Chad Henne and PS Jordan Ta’amu.

RB/FB (5) Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Darrel Williams, Darwin Thompson, Chris Evans and FB Michael Burton.

WR (6) Tyreek Hill, Mecole Hardman, Byron Pringle, Demarcus Robinson, Antonio Callaway, and Anthony Schwartz.

OL (10) LT Orlando Brown, LG Joe Thuney, C Austin Blythe, RG Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, RT Mike Remmers, C/G Nick Allegretti, OL Kyle Long, OT Lucas Niang, G Andrew Wylie, OL Yasir Durant, and PS Prince Tega Wanogho, Darryl Williams, and Jaylon Moore.

TE (3) Travis Kelce, Blake Bell, and Tyler Eifert

DL (9) Frank Clark, Chris Jones, Jurran Reed, Derrick Nnadi, Khalen Saunders, Michael Danna, Tershawn Wharton, Taco Charlton, and Payton Turner.

LB (5) Anthony Hitchens, Dorian O’Daniel, Willie Gay Jr, Ben Niemann, and Jabril Cox.

S – (4) Tyrann Mathieu, Juan Thornhill, Daniel Sorensen, Malik Hooker, and PS Rodney Clemons.

CB/DB – (6) Charvarius Ward, Rashad Fenton, L’Jarius Sneed, Bashaud Breeland, Keith Taylor, Deandre Baker, and PS Thakarius Bopete Keyes.

SPECIAL TEAMS (3) – K Harrison Butker, LS James Winchester, and P Tommy Townsend.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up