ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>2022 roster gives us a window into those two 2nd round picks:
Direckshun 11:45 AM 04-26-2021
Here's who we have under contract (and assumed Badger extension and Brown franchise tag) in 2022:

Per OverTheCap:

QB: Mahomes
RB: Edwards-Helaire, Thompson
FB:

WR: Hill, Hardman
TE: Kelce

LT: Brown (FT?)
LG: Thuney
C:
RG: Allegretti
RT: Niang, Durant

DE: Clark
DT: Jones, Wharton
DT: Saunders
DE: Danna

OLB: Gay
ILB: Hitchens
OLB:

CB: Sneed, Fenton, Keyes
S: Mathieu (extended?), Thornhill

So, first of all, that's 24 players plus two assumptions. That's the second lowest number of players under contract in the NFL in 2022 at this point, second to the Falcons who only have 20.

Second of all, you look at that list and what are by far the biggest areas of weakness?

LB only really has one player -- since Hitchens is cuttable next year (keeping him costs us $12.7, cutting him saves us 8.5 of that). And we have no one who can play center.

CB has a decent combo of Sneed and Fenton, with Ward becoming a free agent. We're very thin at DE with Clark (who becomes pretty cuttable, but not super cuttable) and Danna, and RB, WR, and TE are all paper thin.

So looking at this, I'd say our 2022 roster needs are:

DE
LB
C
CB
RB
WR
TE

Since we spent a 1st on RB last year, I don't think that's very likely. And the team doesn't value the #2 TE slot. So I'm removing those from consideration.

That leaves:

DE
LB
C
WR
CB

My predictions, should the Chiefs stay put with two 2nd rounders, is those positions go to DE and LB.

C, WR, and CB wouldn't surprise me either.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:52 AM 04-26-2021
No one that can play center? Thuney and Allegretti are on this roster.

No you don’t want your $80 million dollar OG doing it but he can if you need him to.
[Reply]
Dante84 12:13 PM 04-26-2021
I mean, in a vacuum, I see what you are saying, but it overlooks the very probable scenario that they have future plans scheduled to extend various players at the right time, even though they may not formally be under contract.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 04:01 PM 04-26-2021
It will be best player available. It's how veach has drafted. Even though he has definitely missed on some he has nailed others
[Reply]
kcbubb 08:58 PM 04-26-2021
Good info. Well done. Now apply positional value to that and depth of this draft at wr and cb and you put DE first and then WR (bc of immediate need) and CB are pretty equal. But the bpa available at those three positions should be the choice and fill the other needs later unless you view another position as clearly the better player, if it’s close take the best DE, CB or WR.
[Reply]
kccrow 01:10 AM 04-27-2021
Fenton is 100% meh. Don't get the fascination with him, to be honest. He can play a role, but never would I ever pencil him in as a starting-caliber CB for more than a game or two.

DE, CB, WR are the biggest needs. Andy considers DE and CB much more important positions than WR. He can make chicken salad out of chicken at WR if need be, so I'm not putting it over the other two.

That said, those are the only positions I'm considering in play for the two 2nds this year, and whichever one isn't gets picked early next year, unless some amazing value falls that Veach just can't pass on.

I might put OC as a very distant 4th need to those 3 but Veach brought up the idea of Thuney at Center many times in his presser. Considering Allegretti played pretty well at LG (and can slide to OC), they brought back Wylie who is solid at LG, and they also were pretty high on developing Durant at OG, they don't have to push the issue should something happen with Blythe nor do they have to do anything for next year.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:13 AM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Fenton is 100% meh. Don't get the fascination with him, to be honest. He can play a role, but never would I ever pencil him in as a starting-caliber CB for more than a game or two.

DE, CB, WR are the biggest needs. Andy considers DE and CB much more important positions than WR. He can make chicken salad out of chicken at WR if need be, so I'm not putting it over the other two.

That said, those are the only positions I'm considering in play for the two 2nds this year, and whichever one isn't gets picked early next year, unless some amazing value falls that Veach just can't pass on.

I might put OC as a very distant 4th need to those 3 but Veach brought up the idea of Thuney at Center many times in his presser. Considering Allegretti played pretty well at LG (and can slide to OC), they brought back Wylie who is solid at LG, and they also were pretty high on developing Durant at OG, they don't have to push the issue should something happen with Blythe nor do they have to do anything for next year.
I agree.

With Ward's status and Fenton being more of a role player, I have CB as a much bigger need than most.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 07:40 AM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I agree.

With Ward's status and Fenton being more of a role player, I have CB as a much bigger need than most.
That's why I think either pick 58 or 63 will be a CB.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:51 AM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
That's why I think either pick 58 or 63 will be a CB.
I was convinced that #31 was going to be a CB. I think with two 2nd's and the WR and DE classes being what they are, I'm not ready to say they take a CB in the 2nd round now but it's probably likely.
[Reply]
Direckshun 07:53 AM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:

This is fair and everything, but again:

After we cut Hitchens, we will have exactly 1 LB on the roster in 2022.

Don't sleep on it.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:56 AM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
This is fair and everything, but again:

After we cut Hitchens, we will have exactly 1 LB on the roster in 2022.

Don't sleep on it.
Veach does have a tendency to draft players a year ahead of time.

I could see them going LB. But they could also just re-sign Hitchens at a lower cost.

We have virtually nothing at CB and DE if you consider that Ward will likely explore the open market and Clark has an out year in his terribly bloated contract.
[Reply]
Direckshun 08:01 AM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Veach does have a tendency to draft players a year ahead of time.

I could see them going LB. But they could also just re-sign Hitchens at a lower cost.

We have virtually nothing at CB and DE if you consider that Ward will likely explore the open market and Clark has an out year in his terribly bloated contract.
The sad fact is, by the end of the draft, the Chiefs will have the fewest players under contract for 2022 than any other team in the NFL. We're going to be bare almost everywhere.

With how much teams are going to be willing to overpay this upcoming offseason, Veach has another massive offseason coming up.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:14 AM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
The sad fact is, by the end of the draft, the Chiefs will have the fewest players under contract for 2022 than any other team in the NFL. We're going to be bare almost everywhere.

With how much teams are going to be willing to overpay this upcoming offseason, Veach has another massive offseason coming up.
The good news is that it's mostly a depth issue. They have quality starters, if not bonafide stars, at nearly every position.
[Reply]
O.city 08:25 AM 04-27-2021
They completely remade the OL this offseason. They did the defense a few years ago.

They've got a plan. Stop worrying.

Honestly, the best thing they can do in the 2nd is to just take the best players available. If it's a center? Great. If it's a LB'er great.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:32 AM 04-27-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
They completely remade the OL this offseason. They did the defense a few years ago.

They've got a plan. Stop worrying.

Honestly, the best thing they can do in the 2nd is to just take the best players available. If it's a center? Great. If it's a LB'er great.
Yep.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up