Page 2 of 2
< 12
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Want a top OT, heres the way
chiefforlife 11:23 AM 04-20-2021
Report: Giants “considering” trade down from No. 11
Posted by Josh Alper on April 20, 2021, 12:06 PM EDT
NFL: FEB 25 Scouting Combine
Getty Images

With a little more than a week to go before the start of the draft, reports about teams looking to move up or down the draft board are starting to accumulate.

The Giants are one of the subjects of those reports. Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the team is “internally considering” whether to move out of the No. 11 pick and drop down while picking up other assets.

If the Giants were to make such a deal, it would represent a major change in operating procedures. General Manager Dave Gettleman has never traded down in the first round while serving in that role for the Giants or during a previous stint with the Panthers.

The Giants’ aversion to such deals predates Gettleman’s tenure by a good margin. They last traded down in the first round of a draft in 2006 when they dealt the No. 25 pick to the Steelers for No. 32, a third-round pick, and a fourth-round pick. The Steelers picked wide receiver Santonio Holmes while the Giants dealt for edge rusher Mathias Kiwanuka.

Im only saying that if Veach wants, say Darrisaw, heres the move. Puts us in front of Chargers.
It would take a bunch of capital to do it but now its possible.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:18 AM 04-22-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
I think it's more important to actually hit on picks though, not necessarily the number. Yeah, you want good players and want them cheap, but the good part is more important.

Draft picks are just another part of cap space. Use them to get good players however you can.
You can't use them to get good players if you're constantly trading them. The Chiefs have been without a 1st round pick, which can be cost controlled for 5 years as opposed to 4, in THREE of the last FIVE drafts. That can't keep happening, it isn't sustainable.
[Reply]
O.city 08:21 AM 04-22-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
You can't use them to get good players if you're constantly trading them. The Chiefs have been without a 1st round pick, which can be cost controlled for 5 years as opposed to 4, in THREE of the last FIVE drafts. That can't keep happening, it isn't sustainable.
Thats using them to get good players though.

As long as they have Mahomes, Andy and this front office, sure it's sustainable.

They've been without one the past 3 of 5 years and have been to 3 straight AFC champs, 2 Sbs and won 1.

ANd with the new cost of the 5th year option, thats not as appetizing as before.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:28 AM 04-22-2021
Thats using them to get good players though.

As long as they have Mahomes, Andy and this front office, sure it's sustainable.

They've been without one the past 3 of 5 years and have been to 3 straight AFC champs, 2 Sbs and won 1.

ANd with the new cost of the 5th year option, thats not as appetizing as before.
Agree to disagree. We're not ever going to come to terms on this one. I simply value draft picks way more than you do.
[Reply]
O.city 08:32 AM 04-22-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Agree to disagree. We're not ever going to come to terms on this one. I simply value draft picks way more than you do.
I dont' nearly as much as I used to thats for sure. All these new young GM's have wheeled and dealed and been ok.

It's more ideal to just stay put and hit on the picks. But history just shows thats not gonna happen always.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:35 AM 04-22-2021
I dont' nearly as much as I used to thats for sure. All these new young GM's have wheeled and dealed and been ok.

It's more ideal to just stay put and hit on the picks. But history just shows thats not gonna happen always.
But that's my problem. You're right, it's not going to happen always. But it needs to happen SOMETIMES.

Right now, Veach is trading away a 1st round pick nearly every year. That's just not sustainable. Sure, do it every once in a while but not every damn year.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up